FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Perspective on Perspectives: Gay Marriage Meta-Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Perspective on Perspectives: Gay Marriage Meta-Thread
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
One might take that to the next step, though -- some men may, for example, be more interested in the chase than in the goal. Perhaps for some innate reason, a given man finds women desirable until he is married to them. It's the inaccessibility upon which he thrives, so his true desire is also disallowed. (I'll avoid the comparison to pederasty, because despite any similarities there may be, it does nothing but piss people off.)
quote:
. . . because that is not a strictly religious prohibition as far as I can see.
One of the difficulties with that sentiment is that some people don't feel that the issue of homosexuality in general, or even more commonly homosexual marriages specifically, is strictly religiously based, either. That's sorta what this entire thread has revolved around.

As to religious (solely) views being enforced by law upon those who do not share those religious (solely) views, I agree. But as I said above, there is a great overlap between what many people consider religiously based and morally based. It's not unreasonable to desire that what one believes to be unquestionably morally incorrect (murder, for example) to be legislated against, and just because religion says it's wrong doesn't mean it isn't wrong independently.

That's a really long way of saying I agree with the concept, but the waters are muddied in the implementation.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.