FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Affirmative Action (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Affirmative Action
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Well obviously most cases would need to be looked at on an individual basis. I do feel that shifting an obstacle from one person to another is pointless. Ex. We think that minorities are having a tougher time getting into school, so we make it to where, now, it's the majority that has trouble. If you left it based entirely on grades, test scores, etc, then the only people with the problem are the people who didn't study. (And they caused that problem themselves.)

Obstacles you should remove are the ones that are totally incapacitating. Ex: It's a good idea to put ramps up for handicapped people. Not having a ramp there isn't going to make them stronger physically...they'd never get up onto the sidewalk by themselves. Plus, putting up a ramp probably only temporarily and superficially inconveniences other people. (Hey, a construction cone is in my way!) This handicapped person can't really help themselves in this sitution...they NEED help.

Similarly, a younger widow may not be able to help herself, when the burden of providing for and caring for her children has been suddenly placed on her shoulders. She can only do so much. She could work two jobs, but then her children would never have their mother. There is almost no way around this. It is the country's responsibility to help care for this family until she can take care of them herself.

Affirmative Action does not belong into this group. The obstacle of not being able to get a job/college acceptance because of your race can be fixed by:
1. Basing these choices on merits other than race.
2. Working your butt off.

NOT by forcing a company to hire them, or a college to accept them just because of their race.

I do have a question and I haven't been able to find a direct answer from Googling. Does anyone have an idea about the AA quotas placed upon the companies/schools? Or can you give me a link to an official site?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.