FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What could squick out LOTR's Head Wench? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What could squick out LOTR's Head Wench?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So long as the fleas leave...no. No more dingles.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I just wish that the musicality of the performers was equal to their sexuality.

I actually wasn't sure what you meant by this until I thought about it for a minute. That's why I ignored it. Color me stupid. [Blushing] Kind of a jumping the shark bit, eh? Well, o.k. I can see that. I think I would even agree, if I gave a rat's ass about this whole thing to begin with to spare it more than a moment's notice. I still am not sure what the event was that this all happened at. Don't care. [Dont Know] See, I guess at core I just honestly don't understand why people give a damn about this stuff enough to, as Elizabeth pointed out, write their paper when it's obvious that Madonna and the rest did it to provoke that kind of response because provoking an emotional response is the whole reason for being in their careers. Frankly, the idea that this signifies some kind of moral decline of our civilization, as some have suggested, is ludicrous to me. At worst it's bad art, at best I still say that even if it was just a publicity stunt for them, it still serves a good purpose to acclimate people to homosexuality. I mean, an action can have several levels of meaning, neh? I'm not trying to say that this makes what they did good theater, just that it does do some good on a social level.

Well, I'm repeating myself. Just wanted to apologize for missing your point, MrsM. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks kwsni! [Blushing]

You know, if you think about it, there were a few moments during WenchCon with the just-for-laughs ambiguous sexuality.

Remember I told everyone about that guy my husband works with who was convinced you were all crazy people or 'bull lesbians' who would rape me?

Then we actually (and this is so unlikely as to be up there with getting hit by lightening) ran into him at the restaurant. Then Jenny sort of dipped me and said, "My plan was seduction!" and we all had a good laugh.

Not much different than the kissing , at least in principle, though I think the Skank Factor was much higher for the MTV chicks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually that kiss didn't bother me that much.

::Reconsiders homosexuality::

btw, This was incredibly funny.

And Stormy - What do you know 'bout anything? [No No]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Not a lot, it's true. [Monkeys]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia: [Kiss]

It still bothers me - I think Ralphie presented my perspective pretty well. Yet my playing around with Olivia didn't seem like the same issue at all. I think it really is more a respect issue for me. Olivia's husband's friend knew (I think) that we were joking. And I wasn't playing tongue hockey with her. But the blatant "cookies" done to titillate heterosexual men just annoys me. Why stoop to that? Regardless of its effectiveness, the sort of kiss Madonna and her young starlets shared seems to cheapen their beauty and their musical accomplishments. I know this is my opinion only, but I'd rather be remembered for my lovely singing or inspired songwriting (if these were indeed my talents) than my lewd stage behavior that got people talking.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, it isn't just your opinion. Because I agree completely. What we did was both more and less tongue-in-cheek (har!) than what they did. What we did wasn't intended to tittilate, not at all. I was just sort o' joshin' ya. [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that any of the three of them were really thinking about their legacy though; I suspect that they were more intent on grabbing a few more minutes in the spotlight *right now* than they were with how they'd be remembered.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, "titillate" is SUCH an evocative word. [Evil Laugh] [Kiss]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I'm repeating myself. Just wanted to apologize for missing your point, MrsM.
Think nothing of it. [Smile]

Incidentally, here's what Britney Spears had to say about the incident:

quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A gum-smacking Britney Spears told CNN Wednesday that she has never before kissed a woman and never would again -- unless the woman is Madonna.

The pop star exchanged a prolonged, open-mouth kiss with the Material Girl during MTV's Music Video Awards show last week.

"I didn't know it was going to be that long and everything," said Spears.

She said the singers had played around during rehearsal and Madonna had told her they would "just feel it out and see what happens" during the performance.

"I've never kissed a woman before," Spears said demurely.

When asked if she would "do it again," she squealed, "No, I would not do it," but then added, "Maybe with Madonna."

When asked about how her image has changed from when she was a squeaky clean Mouseketeers, Spears said, "I think I'm still clean living. I mean I don't go home and have orgies or anything like that."

The singer said she is just "performing and expressing myself." She also believes that by fulfilling her own dreams and having fun doing it, she is inspiring her fans.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is unrelated to the kiss, but it's a quote from Britney Spears that's on Salon.com today:

quote:
"I think we should just trust our president in every decision that he makes and we should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens," Spears told CNN's Tucker Carlson Wednesday.
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, poor Britney. She gets used and lip-raped in public, and doesn't want to face what she has become. I hope she'll be okay.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spears said she had butterflies before the smooch on the Aug. 28 awards show in New York City.

"Oh I was very nervous and very shy," she said. "Like honestly, just being with Madonna, she has this presence about her. ... I mean I'm a shy person in general, but I got very intimidated and I was like, not myself. I was not the confident Britney, you know?

"And she just has this way about her, but at the same time it was very inspiring because it humbled me and it gave me something to look up to, you know?"

Spears said the kiss was Madonna's idea.

"It was not my idea," Spears said. "No, but she threw it around a couple times in rehearsals ... she just kinda said, `You know, do what you feel in the performance ... just go with it and see how what happens' and that's kind of what happened."

This makes me feel worse for her. She sounds dumb, in over her head, and used. [Frown]

I can't believe I am still posting this. I didn't see it! I don't care about either of them!

But I don't like watching abuses of power in public. [Frown]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, I think Britney Spears decided no to be a role model like 2 years ago, and Modonna never was one
Whoa, what is this about?? We don't CHOOSE to be role models. If you are in a position where other people can see you and may choose to imitate you, then you have become a role model, like it or not. You are not responsible for other people's decisions, but you are responsible for the way you influence other people, and you'd better be paying attention to the impressions you make.

Side note: I'm sure they knew exactly what they were doing. I'm making a general observation.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Won't you please think of the children?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.