FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do I not deserve an education? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do I not deserve an education?
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not say only. However i know for a fact that some scholarships were definitely created with such a purpose in mind.

Regardless, you may call me idealistic or stupid only if i may reciprocate by calling you cynical and greedy [Evil]

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
So really, as a result, i definitely don't think that assuming that scholarships are patronage for scientific advancement is far fetched at all. Perhaps if you were a student in the humanities you might feel differently, but most research based fields are set up such that people get money if they're doing something to further scientific thought, not for themselves.

Also, what sort of time are you wanting to spend with your kids? You've said you'd like to work before they're born and once they're old enough, so exactly what sort of profession are you looking at? Again, when you're talking research, a child's developmental period is such that by the time the kid is some what self-sufficent, you're waaaaay out of date.

And really, i think that's where Tom's point is relevant. A university education is necessary for those interested in making a name for themselves doing research, while for other things such an education is a luxury, because in many cases, one can survive in many fields being self-taught. And thus, that is why there aren't many scholarships in those fields. (this has nothing to do with mother-hood, this has to do with the dynamics of certain fields)

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.