FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 3.141592653589793238462643383 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 3.141592653589793238462643383
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody's gotten my message.

[Frown]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you told me how you encrypted it I could decrypt it... [Big Grin]

Seriously, I'm no good at decoding anything. And that includes subtle hints from females, things like shooting me is probably going to go right over my head. If not I probably wont remember anyways. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
TS~

No watching Monty Python without me! Wait up!

[Laugh] I'm not a witch! I'm not a witch!

....wait a second there....something wrong with that being in my post...

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Hobbes,

Enter in the 10 digits I gave you get the number of places after the decimal point for each one.

Write down each number, and try to decode it, putting in letters for the corresponding number.

Note: if there is a 1, it could add on to the next one. So instead of 1 and 7 it could be 17.

Just a note, of course.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

- posted      Profile for meltingsnowman           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of weird transcendental constants...I have a question for any of the geeky here particularly skilled in the areas of math and/or physics...any takers?
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

::looks over at Hobbes::
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
just ask it. people will come out of the woodwork to answer it.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

Note: this is from a Physics Exam I just took, i have turned it in, so im not cheating or anything like that.

OK, You shoot a ball of mass m, verticaly with velocity 2*Vt, where Vt is the terminal velocty.
air resistance is linear such that,
Force = -bv and , where b is some constant of drag.

In terms of m, b and g(gravity),

a)find, the Time it takes the ball to travel to its apex,

b)find the height H of the apex

c)find the velocity with which it hits the ground after falling down

What I found interesting is that then solving part c, the ratio between the time up, and the time down, is constant, independent of m, b, or g
and the constant is a non terminating, non repeating decimal,(or so it would seem) I was wondering, if anyone else could find the exact value of this constant? like, the natural log of something divided by the natural log of something else?

Stuff to help you if you try,
V(t) = Vt*(1-e^(-bt/m))

^
|
|
Velocity as a function of time, for linear air resistance.

m*g = b*Vt

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

oh yea, the constant turns out to be around, 1.568184792...
If any of you know that is off the top of your head, so you dont have to work it all out
(And, no its not Pi/2, its close, but not really)

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
meltingsnowman, Your solution doesn't work in the limit where b = 0 (no drag). In this case the ration of the time up to the time down = 1. As the drag coefficient increases, this has to change.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I see part of my problem. The initial velocity of the ball is twice the terman velocity. As b goes to zero, the terminal velocity will approach infinity. As a result the time up and the time down will also approach infinity making the ratio of the two an indeterminate form.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

meltingsnowman, Your answer doesn't work because the sign of the gravitational force doesn't change between when the ball is going up and when the ball is coming down, but the sign of the drag force does change when the ball changes directions. When the ball is going up the solution should be

V(t) = Vt(1-3e^(-bt/m))

When the ball is coming down the solution should be

V(t) = Vt(1-e^(-b(t-tup)/m))

where tup is the time it takes the ball to reach the appex or m ln(3)/b.

so that gives me the height at the apex equals

x = (m^2g/b^2)(ln(3)+2/3);

and I can't get an explicit solution for the time down.

[ September 30, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[interjection]Annie, did you know that in Ivan's apartment at Ricks they had the walls of the living room totally covered with white paper? That way, anyone could write whatever they wanted to on the walls. It was chief flirting spot and there was a lifesize cardboard cutout of John Wayne...but the coolest thing was, along the ceiling, like a border, Mike and Ivan were always in the process of writing the digits of pi. It got longer and longer and it was hilarious. Sorry. This thread just reminded me of that. [/interjection]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
WHy does that not surprise me? (see my earlier apple pi comment - guess who that was for?)
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
T,

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, how did I miss that? You're hilarious and oh so creative. [ROFL] Somebody a whole lot cooler is going to appreciate that one of these days. [Wink] :giggles to self:
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Annie, My younger sister once made square pies for a high school math club party with πr^2 written carved in the top crust.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
To anyone who wants to do something with their spare time...

7370328532838069786832847269328473776932853272658669327884727378713284793268793287738472327978328472738332847269783273326568777382693285

Any takers?

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
That took me about 45 seconds. I appreciate your admiration, though.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

Im still very confident of my solution, i checked it many many times for many many hours. The time up you got was right, but the distance wasnt, perhaps you integrated wrong? It should have been
H = g(m/b)^2 * (2-ln(3))

here are the solutions posted by our instructor,

http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/HonorsPhysics/qe/exam1_sol.pdf

He left the time down as an equation you sould solve for T when you had definite values to plug in. I found (by running serveral differnt starting varibles) that the time up and time down were proportional by that constant

wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
good job, pop. But then I suppose...hmm...well...good job... [Big Grin]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.