FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » to prove that 1 does equal 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: to prove that 1 does equal 2
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
x is not a distinct solution of ln e^x in the complex field, but I like yours best so far.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear God, is there nowhere to get away from studying for my actuary test today?

Um, thanks? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
The internet is hard today.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sits back to watch the race to the OoC thread* [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ye-p, it's due to the complex areas where it breaks down. Also, log 1 != 0 when you consider complex values.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
its been awhile since i saw this, so forgive me for being sort of vague, but i saw a really neat investigation of what happens when you try to differentiate the function

f(x)= x^x

which if i remember correctly got made complex (f(x)=x^z). Anyway, the function requires some really crazy differentiation which i understood a few years ago but since i've been avoiding math for some time now i don't remember well enough to explain.

anyway, the point is that the derivative of the function at 0 ends up being either 0 OR 1, depending on how you look at it.

maybe someone who has taken some math classes more recently than i will recognize this and be able to explain it better...

[edit] i remember now, it's because 0 raised to any number is 0, but any number raised to the 0 power is 1, which creates a contradiction at 0 for the original function

[ October 22, 2003, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: kerinin ]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You know, this is why I believe that no matter what I say it's immediately taken OoC.

Did I say the interpole was hard today? Did I say the world wide bulge? Did I make any reference to the .package?

Ralphie, totally innocuously, said the internet was hard today. And very humorously, I might add.

Sheesh. Deal.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did I say the interpole was hard today? Did I say the world wide bulge? Did I make any reference to the .package?
Well, this wouldn't be out of context. It would just be your usual leering innuendo.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I think the function just isn't differentiable at that point.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown]

I just thought it was funny. I think I would have regardless of who said it.

And why, oh innocuous one, are you not on AIM?

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I've already spent too much time on the interpole.

Er, net.

edit: btw, Rivka - no real offense taken. Every once in a while I have to doth protest my skanky image. [Wink]

[ October 22, 2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second. If a set of factors equal zero when multiplied together, that doesn't mean that any one of them could be zero if you just divide both sides by the others. It only means that at least ONE of the factors is zero.

Still doesn't fully answer your paradox, but still ... Math makes no sense. When I think about how many ridiculous things astronomers believe about black holes and the like just because they can make it happen with abstract mathematics ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

And yet a lot of those ridiculous things have turned out to be right: Hawking radiation, for instance.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wait, i know this one, three guys go to a hotel and pay 30 dollars for the room, ten bucks each.....

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
... But then the manager discovers that he's made a mistake, and the room only costs 25$, and gives five dollar to the porter to return to the guests. The porter, not being very good at math nor a very honest person, considers it too much trouble to divide five $ on three persons, and gives back one $ to each of the guests and keeps two for his own pockets. The guests have now paid nine $ each. Three times nine is 27. The porter has two. That makes 29.

Hey, where did the last dollar go?!

[Razz]

[ October 22, 2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Behind the back of the trickster breaking out that old chestnut.

[Razz]

Tristan
Member # 1670

Well, we non mathematicians must have something to play with, too.

[Smile]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... But then the manager discovers that he's made a mistake, and the room only costs 25$, and gives five dollar to the porter to return to the guests. The porter, not being very good at math nor a very honest person, considers it too much trouble to divide five $ on three persons, and gives back one $ to each of the guests and keeps two for his own pockets. The guests have now paid nine $ each. Three times nine is 27. The porter has two. That makes 29.

Hey, where did the last dollar go?!

Whoa. That's kinda trippy. I mean, despite having an American ejukashun, I know $25 + $3 = $28 -- not $27 -- but I'm still following the logic of the paragraph above.

A few more of these, mixed with weed and airplane model glue, and I'm well on my way to unravelling the secrets of the universe...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

$30 paid.
$25 stays with the hotel.
$5 goes with the clerk.
clerk gives $3 to men, keeps $2.
hotel has $25, men have $3, clerk has $2.
$25 + $3 + $2 = $30.
All the money is accounted for.

Tristan
Member # 1670

Well, that's all well and good, fugu13, but it does not really answer the question. The fun thing is to figure out exactly where and how the one buck disappears in the alternative way of counting that the problem provides. It isn't exactly high mathematics but that makes it perfect for those who, like me, aren't mathematicians but enjoy logical problems nevertheless.

[ October 22, 2003, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just amazed that people responded to my post. But then again, that stupid problem always gets someone to talk.

--ApostleRadio

I love hatrack. You can't get this kind of conversation many other places.

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The problem occurs with adding the $2. The $2 should be subtracted, just as the $3 was (though in a roundabout way, by phrasing it as an addition of what the three men had each paid), resulting in the price remaining with the hotel of $25, just as is expected.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
How fond I am of that proof. Actually, the one I saw was slightly different; it was in Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea, and it started out by letting a and b equal one. Ultimately it proved that 1=0. Then, as I recall, the book went on to show that Winston Churchill was a carrot.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Another way to look at it is this:

By keeping the two dollars, the desk clerk made the price of the room 27 dollars. This fits with the part of the riddle where you multiply three times nine to get the twenty seven dollars.

But the problem is in the next step. You can't add the two dollars to the 27 again, because it's already included in what the clients paid--that two dollars came out of the 27 dollars.

Rather, you have to add the three dollars that was given back to the customers--which don't even figure in to the original riddle, but were obviously part of the original transaction.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.