FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cousin Hobbes’s Explanation of Binary (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cousin Hobbes’s Explanation of Binary
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Assuming aliens did draw giant swallows, what the hell do they mean by that?
I bet Mackillian could translate for us [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
You've probably all seen this, but

When does Halloween = Christmas?

In fifth grade my teacher taught us an awesome magic trick. We had 16 cards and we wrote the numbers 1-16 on them. Then we punched 5 holes at the top of the cards, and labeled them from right to left 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. We went through each of the cards individually. Starting from left to right, we decided if the hole was bigger or smaller than the number on the card. If it was greater than or equal to the number then we left it. If it was less than the number on the card, then we cut it out. Then, subtracted that number from the number on the card and went to the next hole with the new number. So on and so forth. Sorry my explanation isn't very good. Once our cards were made, we played games. You mix up the cards and then someone gives you a number 1-16, and you magically find their number, without looking, by sliding an unbent paper clip through the holes.
For example, say your number is 7(uuooo). That's what your card would look like. You slide your wire through the 8's hole. All the numbers less than 8 fall off, as well as sixteen. You pick these up, take the others off and set them aside, then slide your wire through the 4's. Only 7,6,5,4 will stay on this time. Take these cards and slide it through the 2's. Only 7,6 remain. And through the 1's only 7 remains. ta da!!!!!! It's magic. You do have to know your cards well enough to know whether to work with the ones that fall off or the ones that stay on. We thought it was incredible. It wasn't till a number of years later that I discovered that my favorite magic trick was actually just binary. By the way, I highly suggest this activity for upper elementary. I'm 26 and I still think about this activity whenever binary comes up.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo, well I sat through an hour of boolean algebra lecture today, and felt like bumping this thread.

Ok, we learned a few interesting things.

A*A= A (very cool indeed)
A*!A = 0
A*1 = A
A*0 = 0
A(A+B) = A
!(A*B) = !A+!B

A+A = A
A+!A = 1
A+1 = 1
A+AB = A

::trying to think::
::don't have book::
::very tired::

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Boolean algebra rules.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I never took high math during high school. The highest math I completed with Geometry. Sad huh? I'm just about to start my first math class in college. Oh well, I'll get there. It's not that I'm bad at math, I just never learned it. Read my landmark post for more info. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am utterly befuddled by the Boolean algebra explanation. I think it would help if someone put down what each line of numbers means. I know that it has something to do with comparing digits in binary, and seeing which ones match/don't match/whatever, but when you type:
quote:
!Or:
A B Output
1 1 0
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

I am left in the dark.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've been planing on making boolean another Cousin Hobbes column, hopefuly this week but because of Thanksgiving maybe not until next week.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget about the numbers:
Where X, Y, and Z are boolean expressions:

Idenity Laws
X AND TRUE = X
X OR FALSE = X

Domination Laws
X AND FALSE = FALSE
X OR TRUE = TRUE

Idempotent Laws
X AND X = X
X OR X = X

Commutative Laws
X AND Y = Y AND X
X OR Y = Y OR X

Associative Laws
(X AND Y) AND Z = X AND (Y AND Z)
(X OR Y) OR Z = X OR (Y OR Z)

Distributive Laws
X OR (Y AND Z) = (X OR Y) AND (X OR Z)
X AND (Y OR Z) = (X AND Y) OR (X AND Z)

De Morgan's Laws
NOT (X AND Y) = (NOT X) OR (NOT Y)
NOT (X OR Y) = (NOT X) AND (NOT Y)

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Boolean is bad stuff. Binary is good stuff.
Let's make mathemagic!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith, when you say A+1=1, can A have any value other than 0 or 1? Cause I was picturing like four digit binary arrays or something (as my example), and obviously if A is 1010, then A+1 is 1011, not 1. For all of your other identities, my 4 digit arrays were working. [Smile]

I realize that when I follow something someone is saying, I make up a specific instance of it in my head, and then follow along with that in mind. That way I know exactly when they say something that doesn't work out. Do other people do it like that?

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

pepperuda, I'm going to use that card magic trick for my brother's girlfriend's seventh grade math class. That's a great idea! Thanks for telling me about it!

I remember now that you teach math to kids. If you can think of any other cool things like that, would you let me know? Janie would love to hear about them. She's a very innovative teacher and was recently given two math classes, though she prefers science.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Ana.

A = 1 or 0 only.

Whereas what you are saying is

0 + 1 = 1
1 + 1 = 1

If A = 1 or 0 the output will be 1.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
At Thanksgiving, I tried to teach my wife's cousin how to count in binary on her fingers. I'm not sure she followed, but that's okay. Counting to 512 on 10 fingers is a strange concept at first.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Shouldn't you be able to count to 1023 on 10 fingers?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Maybe Jon employed a parity finger.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Don't ask me. I'm an English language major.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Okay, aka's right. With all ten fingers up (representing 1111111111), it's 1023.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Fine, no one laugh at my joke, flunk out of drama school and end up like Linda Evens. "Linda Evens, Clean up on aisle 5. Evens clean up on 5".

Hobbes [Smile]

Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd laugh at your joke if it made any sense.
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

It does make sense if you know about parity bits. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hums* ♪ bit by bit, putting it together . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Hobbes, I burst out laughing at your parity finger. <giggles>
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.