FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foreshadowing (A sign of quality literature) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foreshadowing (A sign of quality literature)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Number 8: Under-utilized Activity

I've never been as happy or healthy in my life as when I was taking basic ballet classes. Of course, the perfect exercise actually is swimming (rather than ballet), because it provides such a balanced workout with essentially no stress on the joints. You already knew that, though, and this is all about the hidden gems. Also, swimming requires access to a pool, and that is a limiting factor for some people, like me. I need something I can squeeze in just about anywhere, anytime, without extensive preparation or special clothing, and ballet fits the bill.

"Barre work" offers strength and flexibility training as well as a nice cardio workout. Joint stress is minimized by avoiding leaps and hyperextended positions. Any good stabilization point (formal barre, sturdy chair, windowsill) and comfortable clothing is really all you need, although the experience is made even better with a tape for rhythm and pacing.

Ballet improves balance, is great for toning without bulk, and -- for some -- is an excellent meditative experience as well. Auditing a class at university would be a great way to start, as having an instructor correct form and help with technique really is a must for the beginner. However, once you've got it, you can continue alone, and overhead is pretty much nil. A lot of bang for very little buck.

[ March 25, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm akaemon! <beams>
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Number 7: Unusually Useful Personal Hygiene Product

It's the line of Dr. Bronner soap products, baby. [Smile] If you know them, you love them. If you pick them up for the first time, you immediately realize that yes, this man is crazy.

But he makes great liquid soaps! And they last forever. Great cheap aromatherapy and really kickin reading material on the labels ( [Big Grin] ), although I would caution to take some of the suggestions with a grain of salt. Peppermint soap as a spermicide has not been adequately tested, AFAIK, although it is more pleasant a product than the alternatives -- just don't throw away that crib from two years ago if you're going to try it.

The peppermint scent is fresh, invigorating, and cuts through any offensive odor (even cadaver juice, making it a real hit among medical students). Lavender scent is wonderful for kitchen and bathroom cleaning, leaving a fresh crisp flavor to the air. Almond, eucalyptus, camomille, tea tree -- all are liquid soaps of the highest quality with strong, clear fragrances, but they are sold at a fraction of the cost of major national brands.

Look for Dr. Bronner's unmistakable labels at your local natural and health foods stores, or order online through his site.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'll finish my list afterward. [Smile]
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
:bump:
Thought folks might like to see this. Yeah, we use Dr. Bronner's to sanitize my husband's massage table between clients. No one's head has spun all the way around as a result, that I am aware of.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, I ordered one 8 oz. bottle of each flavor! I read the article about the good Doctor. [Smile] I can't wait for the full manifesto on the labels themselves. I just love that there are people like this.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, that is so great! [Big Grin] You'll love the castille soaps, Anne Kate, but you will love the labels even moreso. They make me happy whenever I see them. A long pepperminty bath with a good Dr Bronner read does wonders for the spirit. And the print on the labels is so small, the reading lasts for a good bit of bath.

Next up: Underprescribed Medical Therapy

[Eek!] [Eek!]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.