FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When reminiscing hurts…. UPDATED (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When reminiscing hurts…. UPDATED
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my new big brother
Well shoot, now if we ever do start a relationship, it'll be incest.

And if we had children, they'd be all inbred-looking like the British Royal Family. [Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Icarus to a certain degree. Focus on the happy memories when you talk to him. A little crying is ok as long as you don't overdo it.

Men are always mystified by what starts on the waterworks in women so you won't be the first gal to surprise him with tears. I have had plenty of female friends burst out crying during our conversations. I just chalk it up to female sensibilities. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bob was the wisest when he said I need to work on establishing some type of benign friendship with Joe now, in order to displace the feelings from the past. Obviously the feelings of the past have him on a pedestal, and I need to see him now as a real human being in order to see him in the present and not focus on the past. I have not allowed myself to yet get to know him as he is now.

That's what I plan to do. And I don't cry thinking about it now that I have vented on all of you! [Wink]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

"Joe" just called -- and I'm going to go have lunch with him and his wife in about 1/2 an hour!

I had asked them, a week or so ago, if there was ever a time we could sit and have a chat....

::cross your fingers that I don't say anything stupid or ackward::

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! Have fun!

And tell us all about it when you get back. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Be brave FG. It will all seem silly this time tomorrow. That doesn't make it any less scarey now. Just know that it will be over.

I have faith that you can do this.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well -- I had a great lunch with "joe" and his wife.

I felt pretty emotional on the drive to the cafe, but asked God to PLEASE help me get emotions under control and have a normal lunch. And that happened -- everything was fine.

I told them mainly I just wanted to make sure that my presence at church was not uncomfortable for them. And that if my sister happens to come to church with me now and then (we often do this), that would not make them uncomfortable either.

They both assured me everything was fine.

I probably talked way too fast and too much during lunch, because I do that when I'm nervous.

But he asked me about what all I did with my life after high school, and how I came about going to this church. Then he told me what HE did after high school, and how he ended up in this church. And we caught up on mutual old friends and extended family members, etc.

Then we talked about kids (because I have three, and they have seven) -- a good safe topic to begin a new friendship as an adult.

I feel a great weight is lifted off of me.

Thanks so much, all of you, for helping me work through this.

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Farmgirl))))) You handled that great. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great FG, I'm glad things went so well!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
((Farmgirl))

Sounds good!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.