FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A new Gay Marriage question. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A new Gay Marriage question.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Correct.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Schools whose policies allow community groups/clubs to use their facilities also allow churches to use their facilities, on the same basis and under the same rules. Schools that don?t allow outside groups to use their facilities don?t.
Consistency is generally a useful approach. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will churches be able to use publicly funded buildings like schools?
I for awhile attended a church which met in a school building (church building not built yet). We PAID for facility -- regular lease like any other non-profit organization would wanting to use school facilities.

Schools often lease to churches on weekends -- they have gyms and all that -- it helps the funding of the local district AND helps the church provide things they might otherwise not be able to.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the question of whether schools - state-owned and operated institutions - should be part of the communities larger or life or if it should stick to simply teaching.

If it is to be a part of a community's larger life, that includes things like churches and also whatever clubs kids find in themselves a need to belong to. If it means that it accomodates only the elements of a community's larger life that other elements don't object to supporting, that would severely restrict the list. Part of the point of clubs and things for teenagers is to find people who share their experiences so they don't feel so alone. If the answer is to find that shared experience all you want, but not on my dime, then that has to work for all the groups - not selecting out the religious ones to object to.

What would I say? Everything non-academic related is not supported on school property.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Wow, Stormie. That's big.

I mean, that's really big. Big as in no even pretense of a "level playing field" big, and no pretense of "land of opportunity" big.

Wow.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I vill oversee ze chilldrenz.

Zey vill obey ME!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
If the answer is to find that shared experience all you want, but not on my dime, then that has to work for all the groups - not selecting out the religious ones to object to.

What would I say? Everything non-academic related is not supported on school property.

What about "not on my dime" meaning (as Farmgirl alludes) "not unless you are either academic-related or are paying to rent the space?" Is that amenable, or is it outrageous, or somewhere in between?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

the same basis and under the same rules

The problem is that I am willing to bet that the 'basis' and the 'rules' that schools normally used are really not open to any group that wants to stop by the school. In liberal districts, I bet 'liberal' causes are given preference, and vice versa in conservative ones.

For instance, one of the high schools I went to in BFE, GA. had a couple preachers come in to talk about abstinence and the like, but no visits from the WWF. Perhaps this is just a result of the community I was in, but that raises another question.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*obeys Scott

(but out of fear, not love, so if you leave your cookies unguarded, they might just be gone [Big Grin] )

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

WWF = World Wildlife Fund? Worldwide Wrestling Federation?

I wonder, did the other people ever seek to use the space, or was it self-segregation? Odd.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Wow, Stormie. That's big.

I mean, that's really big. Big as in no even pretense of a "level playing field" big, and no pretense of "land of opportunity" big.

Wow.

I'm sorry, I think I didn't communicate very well. Parents will be given money to hire teachers and to send their children to school. If they want to home school, they home school. Want to send your kids to the Sudbury school, go for it. Want to send your kids to a Christian academy, go for it. It's the best solution I have been able to think of to allow parents opportunity for their children, while at the same time avoiding the trap of the state overseeing the education.
Scott R
Member # 567

Fear. . . love. . .

It iz all ze same, mein grubherr rekdischlott.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

And having asked a suitable number of open-ended questions, I now bid you adieu.

It's part of the mysique thing I have going. That, and the going-back-to-work thing. [Wink]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Scott: [Big Grin]
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
What about "not on my dime" meaning (as Farmgirl alludes) "not unless you are either academic-related or are paying to rent the space?" Is that amenable, or is it outrageous, or somewhere in between?
That would work. So, what's the definition of academic?

For example...Drugs Used Through the Ages? Generic Bible study? Sappho and Her Daughters?

Would those be academic?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
aspectre said:
A special exemption protecting religious organizations receiving federal funds from auditing was added by the House to the 'faith-based initiative' enabling legislation, then jammed through the House-Senate Leadership Conference.

Can you provide a link on this?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Yeah, I know, kat, especially at the university level, where topics just get more and more complicated. Egads.

*suddenly glad it isn't my job to decide

More conversation later, okay? I have to primp just enough that I don't frighten the children. [Smile] )

katharina
Member # 827

Yes, definitely. [Smile] I'm glad you're feeling better. Later. [Smile]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

>_<
katharina
Member # 827

Stormy, what do you think about academic classes at public universities that do not fit with traditional definitions?

See: Berkeley undergrad catalog.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Not sure what you're asking. I think people should be educated in whatever direction they want to be educated. Am I coming across as being a proponent for or against traditional education?
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: This thread is about to be returned to its original topic.

I agree with those who say they are opposed to the government forcing religions to perform a particular ceremony. However, if recent history has anything to do with it, my opinion doesn't count. The only ones that do count are those of a few former lawyers who wear black robes. This is the real issue at hand.

Mr. Squicky said:
quote:
I reasonably sure that at least half the people I know who support gay marriage would fight against anything like what you're suggesting Geoff. I know I would.
The problem is that the black-robe-wearers don't care whether Mr. Squicky, and half of those like him, support government interfering with religion or not. It's becoming increasingly clear that under our current system, individual opinions don't count.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

How is your post more on topic than the direction the thread went?
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good question. I suppose it seems more germaine to the topic to me because Geoff's question directly addresses whether or not there is a possibility of the government denying tax-exempt status (and other benefits) to religious organizations that refuse to ordain gay marriages. My opinion is that there definitely IS such a possibility under our current system, and my post related that position.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

MY posts vere more on ze topik.

I vill oversee zese judgez. Zey vill obey ME!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, can you cite one instance where a religious body was ordered by the courts to perform a religious ceremony?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could decide tomorrow that I will only officiate at a wedding if the bride is at least five years older than the groom and the government couldn’t stop me.
So, are we talking mental age or physical?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

No, and I doubt that there is such an instance, nor will there be in the next several years. My point is that the possibility does exist. The legal system today allows for great power to be given to unelected judges, who, by virtue of being appointed for life, have no accountability for their actions. My fear is that if the system continues unchecked, the balance of power will tip more and more towards the judiciary. Geoff's post talked about what may happen at "some point in the future." So that is what I've addressed.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting argument Brian.

It just doesn't add up.

The Supreme Court cannot make law, it can only rule on the constitutionality of the law that exists.

It cannot enforce its rullings. Only members of the executive branch can do that.

It cannot decide what laws to rule on, just what arguments it won't rule on.

The Terms "In God We Trust" on our money may cross the line between Church and State, yet nobody has taken this argument to the Supreme Court, so they have not ruled on it.

There is no constitutional basis for the Supreme Court to rule on your religion.

So basically, you are worried over something that is very unlikely to ever occur.

On the other hand, any changes that I've ever heard suggested to be made to the Supreme Court are much more likely to hurt us all.

Having them elected opens them up to the same political intrigues and games that our Senators and Presidents must endure. Changing them with each new administration makes them totally ineffective in supporting the rights of the minority.

Right now we have Republicans in charge of the Executive and Legislative branches of government. If the Judicial was all elected, what would stop a bill illegalizing Democrats from getting passed and upheld?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.