FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just call me Miss Malaprop (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Just call me Miss Malaprop
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia reminded me of my LDS Missionary Training Center experience.

Missionaries share the experience of Joseph Smith and his struggles with organized religions of his day. They quoute him from his history as saying, regarding these churches, "though my feelings were deep and often poignant, still I kept myself aloof..."

I taught at the MTC for 2 years and made it a point the very first class I taught where this quote was used to share the correct pronunciation of "poignant". There is nothing worse that hearing that silent "g", so I just started sharing with everyone the correct way to pronounce it. I'd even make the classes repeat it back so I knew they'd gotten it straight.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
In fourth or fifth grade, I believe, I asked my teacher if she had any suppository reading assignments (as opposed to "supplementary reading assignments"). I got a weird look, but I thought it was just because she thought I had an impressive vocabulary. [Roll Eyes]

[ February 19, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I called my mom dad.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
All the time?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My neices and nephews have each called my wife Uncle Cindy at one point or other.

That's not as bad as her Grandmother mixing her name up with the name of their dog.

My worst mistake, I ran a spell checker on a proposal I was making to Chrysler. It autocorrected my mistakes.

My boss stopped me before I walked out the door with a proposal for "The Chisler Corporation."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for an ambulance company that also ran an "invalid van service." I was always offended by the thought of calling people in wheelchairs
in-VA'-lid.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
horz devorz
It was only last year when I figured out hors d'oeuvres ('or derves') and what I pronounced as 'horz doovres' where the same thing, even though I knew that they referred to the same thing.

*sigh*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Scarey story of possible genetic problems in my family.

My brother worked for Wal-Mart.

no, that's not the problem.

One day he walked past the guy who was displaying the V-8 Juice. My brother noticed all the vegetables on the can. He started a conversation with, "Hey, how many different vegetables are in this stuff."

The guy looked up at him strangely. "Uh, 8"

My brother laughed, "Wow, what a coincidence. You guys should use that in your marketing. You know--8 Veggies in your V-8"

Much to the relief of the V-8 Rep, my brother walked off.

Only later did he realize his blunder (V-8 got its whole name from 8 Vegetables).

That is not the scarey part.

The scarey part, that points to possible DNA damage in such a close relative, is this: TO THIS DAY HE LOVES TO TELL THIS STORY.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan... [ROFL]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a word kerfuffle, but in the spirit of things I should have realized long ago, I present the following nuggets of information obtained in the last week:

1. The purpose of a secret admirer is for the person recieving the presents to try and figure out who the admirer is.

2. Saturday Night Live is broadcast...live.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was always offended by the thought of calling people in wheelchairs
in-VA'-lid.

All of my friends and acquaintances who use wheelchairs are really politically active. No surprise then, that not one of the chair users I know likes "invalid" applied to them, no matter how it's pronounced. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saturday Night Live is broadcast...live.
Not here, it's not.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Me too, Tom! I always thought "segue" was pronounced "seg," meaning that the real pronunciation was was spelled "segueway."

WHOA! Segue is pronounced segway? AHHHHH! My life has been a lie! [Angst] I just thought.. Segue (seg) Segway (another word) My life has been a lie!! Next you're going to tell me fugue is pronounced fyoogway!! (checks dictionary.com)

(sigh of relief)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That is indeed one of the weirder pronunciations. It wouldn't even make sense from the french. Unless, of course, the french spelled it segué...

...oh, but look, it's not french! It's Italian!
quote:
Etymology: Italian, there follows, from seguire to follow, from Latin sequi
Ah. I can now sleep a little sounder.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hence, "sequence."

*loves Latin*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Latin lover...
Annie
Member # 295

Ha ha ha ha ha!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My brother worked for Wal-Mart.

no, that's not the problem.

You sure? [Wink]

[ February 20, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping this after the foh pah (faux pas) I committed last night I committed while on AIM with katharina.

rederic

I knew exactly what I meant. I don't know if I've ever actually typed it before or had truly connected the two words together.

rederic = rhetoric

at least I think!

AJ

I'm also reminded when I made the sweeping exclamation "Vi-o-LA" and had my mother nearly colappse in stitches of laughter.

How was I supposed to know that "Viola" = Vwah la?

[ March 03, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That was hilarious.
Annie
Member # 295

Have you ever heard anyone pronounce rhetoric like rhetorical minus the -al? Pretty amusing.

And my brother one-upped you on voila, AJ - he once said "VOY-la!"

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled for "skillery" to see if my name meant anything other than a name for a fictitious alligator and found a Wake Forest University tribute to the legendaryDoctor Tom Jeffries.

He conjures up some mighty powerful words in his speech, but my favorite is “magnolius” instead of “magnanimous;” kind of like Mother Teresa, but with flowers.

Wish I could have lived back in the days of Doctor Tom. What beautiful speech they had back in the days before television and radio homogenized our language.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.