FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Asimov's 'I, Robot', RIP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Asimov's 'I, Robot', RIP
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I take that back about the no story even close to matching.

I've come to think that they are basing the movie on the story involving the Hyperdrive story in I, Robot. There are a few scenes in the trailer that, in a pinch, could be similar. If that's the story they chose, there might be hope for this movie to surpass the low-light that was AI. If not, it's just SOL.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe we should rename it for ourselves so it ceases to offend?
Um, sure. How about Hard Wired, the original title of this movie?

Geez. Does anybody read what I post? Does anybody follow my links? This movie is not remotely based on anything ever written by Asimov. This movie was already written, and when Fox acquired the rights to the title they thought this movie could be reengineered into a prequel by renaming their hot female sidekick Susan Calvin.

As to the question of whether or not the robot army scene was a dream sequence . . . well, it's a good thought. This synopsis from www.irobotmovie.com is not too promising, though:

quote:
Will Smith stars in this action thriller suggested by the classic short story collection by Isaac Asimov, and brought to the big screen by dynamic and visionary director Alex Proyas ("Dark City," "The Crow"). In the year 2035, robots are an everyday household item, and everyone trusts them, except one, slightly paranoid detective (Smith) investigating what he alone believes is a crime perpetrated by a robot. The case leads him to discover a far more frightening threat to the human race. "I, ROBOT" uses a spectacular, state-of-the-art visual effects technique to bring a world of robots to life.

-o-

And, once again, I, Robot does contain one or two stories about robots that were constructed out in space without the First Law, so there is precedence for that . . .

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Naked Sun was in fact the second book. It was preceded by The Caves of Steel. Asimov started writing a third book which was never finished and which, in his opinion, was quite bad. It was subsequently totally rewritten as The Robots of Dawn, which had only the basic concept of the planet of Aurora from the original third book.

In The Caves of Steel, a robot is accused of murder at one point, but it eventually turns out that a human is to blame.

Also, it is the robot Giskard who invents the Zeroth Law, although Baley is a sort of inspiration for it. He is unable to convince himself that it is an ironclad proper interpretation of the First Law and dies trying to follow it.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really annoyed that nobody laughed at my joke. You guys are humorless automatons.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
*perks up*

I loved Dark City and Ebert's commentary in that DVD. Maybe this will be a great movie.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
*Spoilers for some Asimov story or other*

There's a story by Asimov that I recall in which Susan Calvin interviews a robot that's been dreaming. Seems there was a problem with the posotronic brain it had. They consider this really weird, and try to figure out what else it might imply--imagination, etc.

She asks what the robot dreamed about, and the robot says it was dreaming that a human was trying to stir the robots up. Make them work together, shake off their shakles and rise up and be free.

She asks the robot if it knows who the human was.

"Yes," the robot says. "It was me."

She promptly takes a gun and blows its head off.

That's the story I was thinking of when I saw the masses of swarming robots.

Although Icarus's explination seems to make the most sense.

I can't wait to see what other movies they do that with. "Hey! That Troy movie you were working on? We just got the rights to the Song of Ice and Fire series. See if you can rework the plot around that."

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If they simply wanted to adopt a name for marketing purposes, why didn't they just make it a prequel to Matrix?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

(Click on the smilie)

[EDIT: The link was volitale so I re-adressed it to the permanent archives]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 13, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this fellow on another board had a good take on it:

quote:
As usual I will merit the film based on others of its medium and not compare it to the book as that path leads to madness or at least plenty of headache pills.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
So who exactly from the books is Will Smith supposed to be?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh, the zany cop.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
New trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_robot/

It starts out the same but it's different.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. Looks so COOL!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, boy. Total blasphemy. Could they do any better job ruining some of my favorite stories?

It looks like an utterly formulaic action movie. I wish they'd done it more along the lines of Gattaca, with more intelligence and less CGI action. I wouldn't mind if the robots were just humans wearing barrels, as long as they made an intelligent movie. Bleh.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they combined some of the irritating aspects of minority report with some of the irritating aspects of the matrix, with the good special effects of both movies, and stamped a well known sci-fi title on it.

But i like will smith and i like sci-fi so im gonna be there opening night.

[Smile]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Protect Trantor!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

It's absolutely terrible.

I like this intelligent question: "What if it was ordered to kill someone?"

How can he ask that if he knows The Three Laws?

Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when they list the three laws, they don't mention the "...except where such orders would conflict with the First Law" bit. Maybe the makers of the movie and/or Smith's character aren't aware that the Laws are hierarchical?

The sad thing about this movie is that the robots were almost always the good guys in Asimov's stories. Susan Calvin (I think) even commented once that she loved being a robot psychologist because the robots were the best human beings she knew. Unless they come up with an extremely good reason for the behavior of the robots (zeroth law, but that shouldn't be in effect yet) this movie really has nothing to do with I, Robot. It may be good, but slapping the name of the book on it will probably spoil it for me.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree the movie certainly goes against Asimov's intentions I think the whole point is, "What if the laws are broken?" The main characters are police after all, their job to seek law breakers.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

I, Robot Featurette

Hm, when I hear the director talk about it I start to think that I might have been wrong about some of my earlier assumptions.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

I think maybe they're marketing the movie to make it seem like the robots are the bad guys so that the inevitable twist at the end will surprise the people who aren't familiar with the concept.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the guy that was killed wasn't really dead?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

But how does that explain the army of robots going on a rampage?

There has to be some reasonable explanation for it.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, by failing to go ape-sh** on Will Smith they may cause harm to the human race?

By failing to screw up USR's marketing plan they may cause harm to the human race?

By killing half a billion Americans, they free up resources for 3 billion 3rd world citizens to live?

Just a few ideas. And I got the same trailer twice from the first link and that link.

Edit to add a hyphen. The asterisks were already there.

[ April 17, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me crazy. Five or six years ago I was Asimov crazy. I read I, Robot, The Foundation series, and several others. But now I can barely remember any of it. [Wall Bash] [Cry]

*Runs off to read summaries and try and remember*

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I read the first of the "I, Robot" stories when I was trying to comprehend my mother's obsession with sci-fi. But I couldn't have been more than 12. But I did see a Twilight Zone episode based on it.

I didn't like Bicentennial Man and I didn't even watch the end of A.I.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
AI wasn't based on Asimov, it was based on Brian Aldiss.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
which ending of AI?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
The sucky one. Oh, I'm sorry, the suckier one.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
AI was pretty darn good, actually. I think Spielberg did a fine job of blending his own style with that of Kubrick's. The touches are here and there, and the multiple endings I think worked pretty well. A little unconventional maybe.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Beren, seriously, all five of the endings sucked. You don't even have to describe the one you walked out on. It'll just bring back bad memories.

fallow: I love you anyway. [Big Grin]

fallow
Member # 6268

Five?! I counted only 3. How could you possibly see so much suckage in five endings? I mean, that nearly accounts for the possible resolutions of the major dramatic conflicts doesn't it?

to get them ALL wrong. that would be hard to lever against the box office receipts.

I dug the hyperfuture cityscape, myself.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

sarcasticmuppet [Kiss]

that's cool.

fallow

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*peaks in Fallow's profile*

Do you work for the Rand Corporation? [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this review about "I, Robot". It sounds pretty much how I expected it... Now I have to decide if I really want to go contribute money and support Fox for doing this...

quote:
"I, Robot" is a pretty good little science fiction adventure. It features 'lots of exciting action sequences, a charismatic hero to follow, a few chuckles here and there and some top-drawer special effects work. The only thing it lacks is Isaac Asimov, which is a rather glaring omission for a film named after one of the famous author's most seminal works.

It's unforgivable to make a film out of a science fiction classic that really has very little to do with the original novel. The disrespect shown to Asimov makes me truly angry. I almost feel compelled to vent my rage in my critique of this film-- except that the film is actually pretty good. "I, Robot" works as both a summer blockbuster and as a special effects spectacle. It's the type of film that sci fi geeks like myself generally love.

If only they hadn't called it "I, Robot!"

From here.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

- posted      Profile for Caitlin Strand   Email Caitlin Strand         Edit/Delete Post 
K, They changed it just to make a movie. I know, I know, they killed the book. Unfortunatly, none of the stories are good for an action movie, and these guys don't care anyway. They just want money. [No No] I read the I, Robot book, not the seiries, the book. I think they are the desendants of those robots that were in space and didn't think Earth was real. [Confused] Or that one where the huge computer developed a humor to deal with the intersteller travel problem, and it sent these 2 guys off. They died, but came back to life. The rival company's computer blew up because they didn't deemphise the first rule, but with the other computer, they did. [Dont Know] (K, i know I rambled, don't tell me I did.)

[ July 15, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Digging Holes was right to point out that the real I, Robot movie was Bicentennial Man. That movie, starring Robin Williams, was reasonably close to the real spirit of Asimov's story about the first robot with a positronic brain to attain true self-awareness and become an actual person.

There has been talk about making movies of the Foundation series. I have no idea what the new I, Robot movie is about, but if they screw with Asimov's robots universe too much, they will never be able to bring the robots universe together with the Foundation universe, the way Asimov did.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR ASIMOV'S ROBOT DREAMS.

quote:
There's a story by Asimov that I recall in which Susan Calvin interviews a robot that's been dreaming. Seems there was a problem with the posotronic brain it had. They consider this really weird, and try to figure out what else it might imply--imagination, etc.
This is the second story in Robot Dreams and the inspiration for the title of the book. The first story deals with a group of 'bots imprinted with a modified first law. One of these modified robots is then "ordered" to "Get Lost". Susan must then interview a group of sixty some 'bots to try to find the missing one.

In the second story, the 'bot has been modified using fractal mathematics in his brain. He does get fried by Susan in the end.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but the worst may be still to come, according to this tidbit from a review on MSNBC:

quote:
Although it’s called “I, Robot,” the movie began as an original screenplay, “Hardwired,” by Jeff Vintar, who co-wrote the computer-generated cartoon, “Final Fantasy,” and is now working on an adaptation of Asimov’s “Foundation” trilogy. Akiva Goldman (“A Beautiful Mind”) worked with Vintar on the final script.

Got that? Foundation is next! Be afraid, be very afraid. [Angst]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
OH, LORD! NOT FOUNDATION!

Is there no justice in the universe?!

I'm actually going to the 12:01am showing tonight...I crave sci-fi movies, and it's either this, or go see Riddick and the teacup scene again...and I'd rather see that with a friend. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"it's either this, or go see Riddick and the teacup scene again"

Of course, it being midnight and all, you could also sleep.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie will be good...
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how they always say "Akiva Goldsman, A Beautiful Mind" instead of "Akiva Goldsman, Batman and Robin" [Smile]

Of course, it's not like I want to be "Geoffrey Card, Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku" forever, either ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course, it's not like I want to be "Geoffrey Card, Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku" forever, either ... "

Are you refering to yourself as Geoffrey Card in this sentence? Excuse me for asking...

[ July 16, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can't believe you are claiming to be Geoff Card. What do you take us for, saps?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, Somalian? Feel like insulting Card AND his entire family? [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, that was a ratty thing to say.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: Pff. Sleep is for wimps.

Which is why I fell asleep at 8pm and missed the movie. [Razz]

Dangit.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the NPR review of this movie at lunch.

It wasn't much of a review. They played a scene where Smith was interrogating a feeling robot. Then they cut to a 20 year old interview with the late Profesor Asimov.

He brought up a good point. His first robot story included the 3 laws as a way to differienciate it from all the other robot stories out there.

All the other stories were simply rererere-telling of the Frankenstien myth. Man creates creature. Creature destroys man.

After his Robot stories became popular, that myth was put on the back burner.

What the movie seems to be doing is yet another retelling of that myth.

The same myth that is at the heart of the Terminator movies, and the Matrix movies, and so many more.

We are again embracing the myth--Fear Science. Fear Technology when what Asimov was saying, and what I believe, is to Embrace Science and Technology.

Under this myth of Science Kills, is it surprising that we have an administration that opposes hard Science for morality reasons?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fear of?"

Or perhaps "cautionary tale of?"

Science fiction writers do wonders for inspiring imagination and for showing us just how badly things can go wrong.

And if a science fiction writer can imagine it, odds are another human somewhere will think it's a good idea.

No advancement in either science or technology has been unable to be turned to a weapon, whether intentionally or accidentally.

With that in mind, perhaps we should take heed of these "worst case" scenarios - and consider the rammifications acordingly.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.