FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is love? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is love?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*GRUMPILY*

And when will spring be over so we can get back to life as usual - all this mushiness is killing me!

Love - bah humbug.

Oh, wrong holiday - sorry.

[Razz]

(And I get the top of page two after my grumpiness? Woohoo!)

[ March 27, 2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
There ain't no such thing as unrequited love. It's just a way of pretending to have the emotion without taking the risk, like drooling over a movie star or a singing idol.

[ March 27, 2004, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all subjective when it comes to love, unrequited or no.

But also, I agree... Spring... Bah, humbug.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, love is whatever you convince yourself it is.

Annie and Hobbes' love would bore me to death. I much prefer the love that requires bailing out of jail.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when you bail Lalo out of jail...
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess if love isn't reciprocated it is a truly selfless act of love to put your own desires aside and let them go on with their life without you.
Did anyone see The Butterfly Effect? That was (in addition to being a really odd movie) a good example of this:

*Spoilers*
The guy loves this girl but she kills herself because he said he would come back for her after moving and he didn't. Later he figures out a way to go back in time and change little things that happened to him and his friends which results in his future changing in various different ways, in some he's with the girl, in some he's not, and he keeps trying to get the perfect combination and make everyone he cares about happy. Finally he realizes that the only way he can really make her life truly happy (and his other childhood friends too) is to go back to the day he met her when they were both really litte and tell her that if she ever spoke to him again he would kill her. She, of course, ran crying to her parents and never saw him again, but she had a good life because all the things that he did to mess it up and cause her to kill herself never happened.

Anyway, I didn't like the movie much but the idea that he was willing to sacrifice his chance of being happy with her to let her live her own happy life was why I brought it up.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a pretty good scene from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comics:

Have you ever been in love?

You might say that.

Horrible, isn't it?

In what way?

I makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up this whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leves you crying in the darkness, so a simple phrase like "maybe we should just be friends" or "how very perceptive" turns into a splinter of glass working its way into your heart.

How pituresque.

It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips you apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love..... I hate love.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
How utterly depressing. [Frown]

I find Love to be uplifting, strengthing, and give me more confidence. Maybe it's because I know the person I gave myself to is so kind and caring, but that's the way I feel.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be lost without that one person in my life that I share my soul with. But then, he is so very dependable. I trust him so deeply because, well, he has earned it. I feel very fortunate.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
When you long with all your heart for someone to love you, a madness grows there that shakes all sense from the trees and the water and the earth. And nothing lives for you, except the long deep bitter want. And this is what everyone feels from birth to death.
Denton Welch

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who this thread makes think of Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell bobbing their heads up and down while wearing bad suits?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Baby don't hurt me....

No, dagonee, you certainly aren't. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those skits!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always under the impression that love is a delusion men hold that makes them believe one woman is somehow different from any other woman.

So, any of you ladies free tonight? No? You have to shampoo your hair? All of you? ... *hopeful voice* Together?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stranger in a Strange Land quote was close to the truth. To one who is truly in love, the happiness of the object of love is more important that that of any other living being, including the one who is in love. In addition, true love builds upon both friendship and physical attraction, and so includes both within itself.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Henry Feilding said lasting love is based on respect and gratitude.

*nods* I can agree with that.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.