FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100,000 Volts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 100,000 Volts
the perpetual newby
Member # 6468

- posted      Profile for the perpetual newby   Email the perpetual newby         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, don't get me wrong, here, but if she'd asked me for the diapers, I would have given them to her or bought them for her, but if she had stolen them from me, I would have stopped her. When the situation became apparent, I probably would have given her the diapers anyway, but I don't think the shopkeeper was wrong to stop her in the first place.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the perpetual newby
Member # 6468

- posted      Profile for the perpetual newby   Email the perpetual newby         Edit/Delete Post 
oops....that last one was to Mack ( i don't know how to edit yet [Smile] )

[Group Hug]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps its a weakness of courage. Which is harder--stealing from a stranger or asking a stranger for help?

The position of vulnerability in asking for help is dangerously open.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
And if welfare weren't so abused sometimes. I'm not trying to step on any toes on this one. I am only saying that I have seen this done. A guy goes up to the counter with items. Pays for booze and cigarettes with cash. Then pays for food items with food stamps. That guy needs to wake up. Reprioritize his life. I do realize that not all of them do this and probably not even most of them.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and I can agree with this solution.

quote:
Xavier, don't get me wrong, here, but if she'd asked me for the diapers, I would have given them to her or bought them for her

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the perpetual newby
Member # 6468

mack, point taken.

That said, I still don't think we can fault the storekeeper for his attempt to stop her. The real test of his character is in what happens after she is stopped.

[Group Hug]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're making some rather drastic assumptions. What we know:

It was a women
She stole toilet paper and diapers
She ran to a car

And from this we can now assume that she's dirt poor and unable to proved for her family? I think it's likely enough that she has at least one kid to work with that, but the rest is just a random guess. Sure, I'd put money down that she's poor, but who knows how poor? Plenty of rich people steal, and there's multiple degrees of "poor". For one, she probably owns a car (if she was running towards one with a man so close on her heels he managed to stun her I think we can safely assume that she wasn't going to try and pick the lock and hot-wire the engine).

Second off, she's in her twenties, and able to run, carry things, and stay up after being hit with a stun gun. She's clearly in at least good physical shape. Admittedly it's possible that even then she couldn't get a job, but I find it unlikely that she was uncapable of finding any job anywhere. I don't know if she had one or not, but even if she didn't I would bet that the only possible reason she didn't was A)a very checkered past or B) she didn't want to take some awful position.

I wouldn't want to do it either, but that doesn't make stealing all right just so I don't have to get a job I would hate.

Also, she didn't just come to the store and ask for clothes and some diapers. Had she done this I'm sure the clerk would've kindly directed her to a charity center, or some place similar. Instead she choose to steal. I didn't say I'd come into your house and ask for some things because I was poor, I said I would come in and take them, that's what she did. You honestly think if I walked into your home (or your office or wherever) and just took your stuff and tried to leave you would've just figured I was poor and let me go?

As for having no idea what it's like to be poor: you're absolutley right. I'm not exactly loaded with cash, but I have plenty to get buy on, I've never had to subside on welfare or wonder where my next meal was. I fail to see why that affects the morality of someone else stealing.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,

Have you seen that a lot?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I seem to have come off snarky. I'm deeply sorry, I hope no one got mad. [Embarrassed] If you took offense at what I said please do the following:

1) Remind yourself that the person who posted that should've gone to bed 3 hours ago
2) Write down all the times you've thought that poster wrote something completely inchomprehensible (and figure he's just bad at expressing himself in general)
3) Please forgive me?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Not really fallow. I do do that a lot. One of the guys that works for me may be short 5...10 bucks. Eh, here. Pay me back next payday. They do.
the perpetual newby
Member # 6468

I think if anyone was really offended, your excellent use of the word snarky should procure forgiveness in a hurry [Smile]

[Group Hug]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is harder--stealing from a stranger or asking a stranger for help?
Which is less likely to get you thrown into jail, away from the family you're trying so hard to provide for?

Sometimes, you gotta swallow your pride.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. But for some, it's much easier than for others.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Mack, often times making the right choice is very hard, you should know as you've continually had to fight to do the right thing (and you have done the right thing [Cool] [Big Grin] ) but just because it's hard, doesn't mean doing the wrong thing is right.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 23, 2004, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

mackillian
Member # 586

I never said it was right, mind you.

But understanding is much more helpful in dealing with other people than outright condemnation.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Agreed. [Smile]

Still though, this doesn't really effect the store owner either. I mean all he knew about this women was that she stole stuff from him, he didn't exactly have a psychological and economic profile on her (or do we for that matter), he acted on what he knew, and nothing about what he knew really seems convincing to me as a good enough reason not to try and stop her.

Hobbes [Smile]

fallow
Member # 6268

good on you, Stan.

[Smile]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I know. I was just talking to matt about it--I prefer to understand people and their motivations. Which, I suppose, is why I'm a social worker and not a judge. [Wink]
fallow
Member # 6268

mack,

what kind of social work do you do?

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stealing is never right.
It may not ever be right, perpetual newbie, but would you argue that there is never a circumstance in which it might be necessary?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I would argue that, in America, there is no likely circumstance in which stealing is necessary.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sure, I wouldn't argue with that, but I can imagine that there are people who are unaware of the possibilities available to them, who *feel* that the only way to get some staple item is to steal it. People can be remarkably blind.

I'm not saying that feeling this way exhonerates the person doing the stealing, but I do think that understanding where they're coming from can be helpful in maintaining compassion, and in having a more nuanced understanding of the world around us.

I'm also not arguing that this woman was in such a position, by the way; we have way too little information to be able to judge her motivations.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I do think that understanding where they're coming from can be helpful in maintaining compassion."

Absolutely. As long as that waffling doesn't stop us from tackling the thief before we try to figure out her motivation.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No argument there.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.