FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can you bake a pie without burning the house down? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can you bake a pie without burning the house down?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I looked it up on babelfish and it translated as butter. In my dictionary, butter is mantequilla and lard is manteca de cerdo. (Manteca de cacao (cocoa butter) was also listed.) I searched on google for "manteca lard" and "manteca butter". "Manteca lard" has about 500 hits, and "manteca butter" has about 5000. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my most amusing baking adventure was when I was 13, and my sister was 10. My mom had bought a box of peanut butter cookie mix...the kind that is supposed to last you a very long time. One time we decided to surprise my mom with cookies, she was upstairs, and we decided to cook. We followed the instructions on the box, but the set of instructions we followed were for restaurants who wanted to make cookies in bulk. We ended up making enough mix for something like 8 dozen cookies. My parents got a laugh out of it when they came downstairs...though they gave us a lecture about using the oven that lasted quite a while.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my gas bill.

It was $211. Now, that doesn't really kill me, since I have had $100+ bills in winter for utilities and some even higher (for cooling) in Summer.

BUT...

My usage when from .9 Million Cubic Feet to

30.9 Million Cubic Feet.

And the bill the prior month was $14, so this is a major increase!!!

OOOPS.

Dumb Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Could have been worse.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, at least I cooked Rib Eye steaks. Imagine if I'd spent all that and served sirloin!!! [Eek!]

Lesse...6 steaks, $211...

Yep, could've treated everyone to a nice dinner at our local good restaurant.

Of course, it could've been MUCH MUCH worse. It could've equalled the mortgage payment.

Or burned the house down.

Or killed my sweet litty doggie.

So, I got lucky.

Still...dumb Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Good time to resurrect this, we had a small grease fire tonight. [Eek!]

The juices from the meat loaf boiled over the edge of the pan, and fell to the bottom of the oven, and the grease caught on fire.

My sister-in-law turned off the heat and kept the door shut to try to keep the flames down while we talked about what to do -- use the fire extinguisher? (Messy, not good for the meat loaf, and anyway, where WAS the fire extinguisher??) Flour? Baking soda? I talked about how I'd read a Donald Duck Big Little Book when I was a kid that had Huey, Duey, and Luey coming to Donald's aid by putting out a grease fire with flour...

Fortunately, the fire burned itself out before we could do any damage.

Anyway, I got curious and Googled "grease fire." Turns out that flour is NOT a good idea (it can add to the fire and actually explode). Salt and baking soda are possibilities, but ONLY if you have such big quantities that you can actually extinguish the fire by completely covering it.

I'm VERY disappointed with Huey, Duey, and Luey. [Grumble]

Link: http://www.casperfire.com/fire_prevention/fp_greasefiresafety/grease_fire_safety.htm

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump, 'cause for some weird reason, the last post didn't bump it to the first page*
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even reheat a hoagie without setting the microwave aflame.

And..I think I misspelled hoagie. o_O

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.