FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, so, Lalo admits his fatal flaw -- dammit, I can't do contacts. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Okay, so, Lalo admits his fatal flaw -- dammit, I can't do contacts.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got these contacts in the fall of 2001. I think it's probably a little late to call the optometrist and chew her out. And I started off wearing them for about eight to ten hours a day, but as time has gone on, I've worn them less and less until I've pretty much stopped wearing them altogether. I hope my eyes haven't been getting drier in the past few years.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have allergies?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love wearing my contacts, too, but haven't been wearing them as much as in the past. I have always worn hard lenses, gas permeable ones in recent years. The most recent lenses are not as comfortable as my previous pair. The optometrist claims they are "exactly" the same, but I can tell they are slightly smaller in diameter, and they seem to have a "tighter" fit.

Also, contrary to what a bunch of you are saying , he indicated to me that soft lenses would be more of a problem for me, because of my dry eyes. But many of you seem to be saying that higher water content in the lenses is better for dry eyes.

As far as putting them in goes, it does take practice. From the start I learned to put mine in without using a mirror, cause I figured I might not always have one available. To this day, I never look in a mirror while putting in my lenses.

[ May 25, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yeah, I have allergies, but I'm not quite sure what I'm allergic too. Mostly pollen and stuff in the spring (like right now). Maybe some mild pet allergies.
quote:
But many of you seem to be saying that higher water content in the lenses is better for dry eyes.
Um . . . isn't it? At least, soft contacts with higher water content are better than soft contacts with lower water content.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, JonBoy. It seems to be contrary to what my optometrist was telling me. Then again, he had me doing these useless lid treatments when I had a sty - they were too time consuming, and didn't really help, just irritated my eyes more. [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy makes fun of me because I cannot -- CANNOT, for any reason -- allow things to get near my open eyes. It simply does not happen. Sara didn't believe her when Christy told her about it, and tried to administer some eyedrops one time when my allergies kicked in at her house -- and people had to actually hold me down so that I wouldn't thrash my way off the couch and hurt someone.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I really have no idea, Ela. I believed my optometrist when she said these contacts would be more comfortable because they're thinner.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, Tom is Rachel! BWAHAHAHA!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Naturally, eyedrops are not exactly easy for me either. I haven't killed anyone yet, but I always end up with fluid all over my face.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo what kind of contacts do you have? I just went to disposable and will never go back I don't think. They are by far the thinnest and most comfortable, I've ever worn. Gas permeables are the other option for me, but those are supposed to be more uncomfortable at first, though not as bad as the old hard contacts. But I've considered switching if it will prevent my eyes from worsening further.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first pair of contacts in seventh grade. I didn’t want them – the idea of sticking something in my eye really grossed me out. But my eyesight was disintegrating rapidly (like, new prescription every 6-8 months) and the eye doctor thought contacts might help it to stabilize. My mom had to hold me down while the doctor stuck them in my eyes. Didn’t want ‘em. Nope, nope, nope. Then I looked around. I could SEE! So much better than with my glasses. And they felt great! No weight on my nose and ears, they were much less noticeable than glasses. I couldn’t even tell I was wearing them.

It took me about ten minutes to figure out how to get them out, then I popped them back in and I’ve never looked back. And they did help my vision to stabilize. I’ve only changed prescription three or four times in the last 20 years. [Cool]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, it's possible that high-water lenses would not settle properly in your eyes. When my eyes are extremely dry, my contacts have been known to just fall out.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
a tip on putting eye drops in for people who don't like them. Put them in at the OUTER corner of your eye away from your nose, not the inner corner. They then have to travel across your eye before they tear out if they do tear out so you will get more benefit.

I also think it is easier to sort of fit the eye drop tip in the little crease at the outer corner of your eye than having to go to the inner corner where you are looking at it straignt on and it looks like you are going to stab yourself in the eye.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.