FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun Smackdown VII: A day of Rest (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pun Smackdown VII: A day of Rest
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Lot's wife is a pillar of the community.

Carnivorous leafy vegetables have been attacking people all over the earth! Lettuce prey!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lot's wife is a pillar of the community.

Nimrod, on the other hand, just babels. In fact, he's known to just Babylon and on.

[ May 31, 2004, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
True Story. A friend of mine in High School was thrilled because he was going on a church trip to Chicago.

"Where you staying?" I asked.
"In a convent." He answered.
"A convent?" another friend of mine gasped. "What kind of fun can you have at a convent?"

"Nun" I answered.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I can't think of any.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear about the young man that had an improper relationship with a nun named Chloe?
She was removed to a distant location and he saw nothing of her for 4 years. He was overjoyed when he moved on to seminary and was told he was to be cloistered.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I heard about an artist that would use imitation human bones to make his point. For example he once used humerous, ulna, and radius bones in a piece he called "The Arms Race" His latest piece though has me scratching my head. He has a sacra all alone in the middle of a blank tableau. For the life of me I still can't think what the blessed sacra meant.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

A local Catholic church announced it was closing down. Seems that over the past couple of years, attendance at Sunday services has been steadily declining.

After months of denial, they realized they were looking at Mass extinction.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is leaving me unleavened.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I can't hold a candle to you people.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Poor Bob. It's sad to see his spirit descend so low.

What can we do for hymn?

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Shaman you! That's the worst collection of puns I've ever seen.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, I'll take sanctuary in the fact that I only picked up where you lent off.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
That priest's habbit is digusting! He smokes in the church, which is so incense-itive!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

The chief naval chaplain was furious when he saw the plans for the new ships of the battlefleet. He stormed into the office of the chief naval architect.

"You fool!" yelled the chaplain. "You didn't include chapels in your plans for the new ships!"

In response to the architect's puzzled look, the chaplain cried:

"Just where do you expect the crew to attend warship services!!!???"

sndrake
Member # 4941

One ice cream parlor in town figured out a new marketing gimmick. The owner knew a lot of families had trouble getting kids to attend church without doing some bribing - a promise of a reward in turn for good behavior (interestingly, when sermons stress the same thing, the term "bribe" isn't used).

Anyway, the ice cream parlor started a special offering after church services on Sunday. It was a huge bowl of three different kinds of ice cream, covered in hot fudge, fruit, nuts, and countless fixins. This huge glob of ice cream heaven became immensely popular.

They call it "The Sundae Mass."

sndrake
Member # 4941

The devil is misunderstood.

He really only wants to hellp.

sndrake
Member # 4941

Atheists accuse those who believe in God of being illogical and irrational, since atheists claim one can't logically prove the existence of a god.

Believers hold atheists in disdain as well.

They think atheists are irrational and that their beliefs deify logic.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

When Henry VIII kicked the Catholics out of England, he did it by de-creed.

Everyone likes to look at Pegasus' beautiful wings and his wavy mane, but he himself is proudest of his long flowing tail. Or as he likes to call it, his flying butt tress.

Some monks used to wear cloth made from burlap bags, but this all but died out once the church leaders started calling them "sack religious."

[ May 31, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In the Catholic faith, priests are considered the intercessors between the parishioners and God. So, in a way, they're the kyrie liaisons.

In his later days, Paul took to writing vituperative letters to the editor about the decline of morality in the world, how unchecked immigration is ruining the country, and how much better things were when he was a kid. Although these letters never made it into scripture, they have been immortalized in the Apostle's Screed.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

People who join the clergy have made a Profession...of Faith.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a hippy named Yun who lived in a commune. He was a Buddhist. After many years, he moved to the city and decided he decided to convert to the Catholic faith. He did, and from that day forward, he was known in the church as Commune Yun.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

A new archeological find here in America found evidence of a previously unknown religion. The news is bearly off the press, but essentially it's this:

A previous culture built its religion around worship of grizzly bears. At least once a year, they'd offer up a sacrifice.

One young man of the tribe would walk naked and unarmed to seek the bear and meet his grizzly faith.

[ May 31, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

*Breaking News*
(important news)
A scientist has announced absolute proof of the nonexistence of God.
(/important news)

Personally, I find the news very deisturbing.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Pew! These stink!

[Razz]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, your last comment really incensed me.

(please forgive me if I repeat a previously stated pun. I am coming late to this game, but I do not want to be Left Behind.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did I hear correctly that Kama got a bad cut? I hope they closed it up with a good Kama Sutra.
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Pew! These stink!

[Roll Eyes]

Bob,

you're acting pewbescent.

[Razz]

sndrake
Member # 4941

[Eek!]

Just realized Bob implied my puns are pewtrid!

[Mad]

Bob's a pewphead! [Taunt]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Bob is strangely quiet. No comeback.

He's probably afraid aisle akneelate hymn. [Evil]

sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Did I hear correctly that Kama got a bad cut? I hope they closed it up with a good Kama Sutra.
Puns don't karma any worse than that.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sndrake, you've got some nerve on ya to ridicule me that way!
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Big Grin]

It's not nerve. It's karmic relief.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That is tantramount to torture, S.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Sheesh. How did I get Indra this, anyway?

I Vishnu had some suggestions on a Veda make some good puns.

sndrake
Member # 4941

A local Christian church choir director decided it would be neat to write a hymn that celebrated Christianity's roots in Judaism.

Nice sentiment, but I'm still not sure about the results. His title for the hymn?

"Kosher, My God, To Thee"

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well zen, I will try to help you.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I heard ther was a real insect problem down by the waterside. The exterminator came in, though, and made them Ortho docks.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm glad they fixed that problem. Those are the fishing piers, the lifeblood of our economy. Just remember, in Cod we Trust!
sndrake
Member # 4941

I have to assume your fishing town is populated by Lutherans. After the Diet of Worms issued the Edict of Worms, Luther became the flounder of the Lutheran Church.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Aisle be damned!
sndrake
Member # 4941

That last canon fired a blank.
punwit
Member # 6388

Jeez, I go to work and everyone shows up and goes crazy. Jihad to wait till I was gone didn't ya? Or this was intentional and I'm being cult from the herd?

[ May 31, 2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

punwit
Member # 6388

Did you all hear the story about the devout hemp maker? Apparently he was experiencing tough economic times but was loath not to contribute his normal monetary amount to the church. His solution was to donate an equivalent amount of rope. It was thereafter referred to as "The Tithe That Binds"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, I heard that guy made a ladder for Jacob, too.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Jericho again.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh, okay, after that last one I guess it's time I throw in the Tao.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Careful, Bob, or you might get a Canin.'
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Chi, Bob, your pun wasn;t that bad!
sndrake
Member # 4941

Bob,

Don't be a poor Lao-Tsuer.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Snadrake, I think you are just trying to Cunfucious.

(I know, old joke, but i call it!)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.