FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Extraneous "so i stop derailing threads" Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Extraneous "so i stop derailing threads" Thread
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
And your lack of spelling is an homage to whom?

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Darn. Kat did it faster and better. *pout*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I guess people pronounce it differently depending on its usage even though it is spelled the same.

I thought "homage" (pronounced with the H and a hard "g" like in mage) was more like tribute and obesiance. i.e. "paying homage to a king"

while I thought "omage" (prounounced with a silent H so all you hear is the o and a soft g) is more like giving credit for an influence like in art and something that is spliced together kinda like a collage. Like this "is an omage dedicated to Ansel Adems" where all of the artwork in the collection was other photographers showing how he influenced them in their own work.

Have you heard it pronounced with out the "h" before?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i have heard it both ways, and had the same ideas about the connotations as you did, bannafannafofanna.

just because it's bugging me i have to mention again that my hair is not crunchy.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

well I admit I thought they were separate but related words. Now I know they are actually spelled the same. Maybe you need a funny accent mark over the o for the second one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that your hair isn't crunchy!! (I had to go run and do work so I couldn't respond sooner) [Razz]

I'm also glad that my hair isn't crunchy either! I made slacker laugh a couple weeks ago - I got too much styling creme stuff in my hair and it was all sticky, so I had to get in the shower and wash it again. Good thing it only takes about 2 minutes to wash it and 2 minutes to dry it. [Smile]

[ June 09, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great thread. Needs more people telling Sara and I how hot we are, tho.

And Lusti. And maybe Imogen, since she was up front 'bout the Angelina Jolie thing.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it definately needs more people telling me how hot I am.

Of course, I know my hottiness is outshined by Ralphie and Sara - but what can I expect?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And after this post

quote:
For some reason, I read this as "Then no one is spanked." Suddenly I had an unexplainable urge to start throwing around religious jargon if that's what it would take to get spanked by Ralphie.

Relief Society! Bishopric! Primary! MTC!

*waits*

I think Brinestone qualifies as well.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Ruth! You skank! "Rankled" doesn't even closely resemble "spanked," you hussy.

And I would totally take you up on your shameless insinuation, but I'm pretty sure that would do poor Jon Boy in.

You know, his weak heart and all.

edit: Hey, is 'hussey' spelt with an 'e' or not? :/

[ June 09, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
so i feel the need to mention that while dominic monaghan and i are going through that awkward downtime due to his guilt over long distance relationships i go to a club and i get all kinds of sweaty breakin it down to some old school prince with mekhi phifer.
whoa-ah.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yes.

And I've decided David Gray has been saving himself for me.

Icarus
Member # 3162

So is this where I rescue Wynona Ryder from her emotional black hole? Torridly?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

It would be unfair of you not to, Joe.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

Dr. Sara always prescribes Tor-Id for the emotionally vapid, distraught, or confused!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

If you could only pick one, who would you choose, Matt Damon or Ben Afleck?

I'm thinking Matt. He might not be quite as big as Ben in terms of star power, but I think he has the better character. For a torrid affair though Ben might be the one. But Matt is awfully hot in the Bourne Identity and I can't wait til the sequel comes out.

AJ

Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made my day. [Smile]

Matt Damon. Ben looks too much like my brother.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, neither. They both bother me intensely - Ben seems as shallow as a puddle and Damon has a permanent smirk. Neither are particularly good-looking to me, either.

*goes back to look at the picture of Hugh Jackman again*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
If you could only pick one, who would you choose, Matt Damon or Ben Afleck?

To beat up?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You've never seen Ben's interview on Inside the Actors studio. He's a total arty geek, exactly your type kat (well other than the drinking part). Remember he and Matt can't be that shallow, they WROTE Good Will Hunting.

Speaking of Inside the Actors Studio, while I only watched half the interview, the interview with Val Kilmer was enlightening as to his character if painful to watch because the man was so uncomfortable. It is amazing he can play arrogant characters so well, because the man is completely meek and soft spoken. He is also a total intellectual nerd, but very awkward about it. He thinks so much the words have difficulty coming out of his mouth. Very stilted. In Real Genuius (and The Saint) he was playing himself, but with more self confidence than he possesses internally.

AJ

[ June 10, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

and Val was actually better looking in that interview, than most of the characters he played. Maybe because he was so unvarnished IRL.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's a total arty geek, exactly your type kat (well other than the drinking part).
Really? *looks for evidence*

Thought to be good-looking?
Pretty geeky?
Somewhat arty?
Prone to grand romantic gestures?
A few bad habits?
Commitment phobic?

Well, crap. [Razz] He is my type, exactly.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

told you so [Wink]

AJ

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Good thread.

I wonder if Sara's around.

(And I'm missing LadyDove, too.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.