FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Saint Paul (Revelation) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Saint Paul (Revelation)
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

- posted      Profile for Caitlin Strand   Email Caitlin Strand         Edit/Delete Post 
Basicly the Klu Klux Klan, the snake worshipers who base their worship off of one verse, the people that claim that unless one is a full-fledged, baptized member of the Catholic Church, one will be damned, ect. Do I need to tell more? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the "Holly Rollers" and snake handlers were Protestant, not Catholic....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
So, by your logic, if I write a book that includes a vision from the resurrected Jesus that people misconstrue 1500 years later and use to justify their evil actions, then I am the anti-Christ?

Abraham Lincoln referred to Harriet Beecher Stowe (author of Uncle Tom's Cabin) as the woman that started the war between the states. Does the millions of deaths that resulted from the Civil War and the eventual reconstruction, civil rights movement, Jim Crow laws, and murders by our modern sports figures make Mrs. Stowe the anti-Christ also?

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

- posted      Profile for Caitlin Strand   Email Caitlin Strand         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah... oops... Just remembered the snake thing from Discovery... Sorry. [Blushing]

[ June 21, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Caitlin, if you believe so strongly in not taking a section of the Bible out of context (i.e. when you criticized churches based only on Revelation), do you not believe the verse "all Scripture is God-breathed"? Would God ask Mr. Antichrist to please sign his holy book?
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

Don't remember that one... Well, everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then right? [Dont Know] But that doesn't mean I swerve in my belief that you can't base a branch of a religion off of part of a holy book!

P.S. And yes, I reilize that every holy group has their extremist coots(except for Buhdists [Wink] ).

P.S.S. Isn't it weird that this has been up for one day, but has more than 55 posts? Must have hit a hot topic... Not bad for a beginner [Big Grin]

[ June 21, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem, Caitlin, is that so far you haven’t given us an actual example of who it is you think is basing their religion solely off the book of Revelation, or why you think its author is/was the anti-Christ. You said you came to this conclusion after reading the book. How about citing some specific verses, or giving us a little of your reasoning?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"But that doesn't mean I swerve in my belief that you can't base a branch of a religion off of part of a holy book!"

What CAN you base a branch of a religion off of, then?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

"All Scripture is God­breathed..." 2 Timothy 3:16a
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Paul wrote everything from Romans to Hebrews.
Actually, there's a lot of internal evidence that Paul DIDN'T write Hebrews. I believe it's the only one of that group of letters that doesn't specifically state it's Pauline origin, plus many of the descriptions the author gives of himself don't seem to fit of what we know of Paul. The thoughts and mindset are very similar, but it probably wasn't Paul. The reason it was placed at the end of those letter was because of its disputed authorship.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

I meant off of one particular part. The bible has alot of them, but I think a religion has to encompass all of them...

Oh, and I'm at a freinds house right now(without the bible, she's an atheist[and I have no problem with that, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness]) Once I get home and look for some, I'll get back to you. I only remember parts of verses and stuff.

P.S. Taalcon, lets not argue for the sake of arguing, k?

[ June 21, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm.. Saint Paul... father of Christianity. He was a cool dude. Christianity never would have taken over the empire if not for him.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

biblegateway.com The whole Bible on the net. Go!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would your being a Jehova's Witness have any particular bearing on your feelings toward athiests? We have both Witnesses and athiests who post on this board, and they like and respect one another.

Oh, as for your surprise about this thread leaping to 50+ posts in a day's time--welcome to Harack! It's a pretty fast moving board.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
P.S. Taalcon, lets not argue for the sake of arguing, k?

[ROFL]

Again, welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
All Scripture is God­breathed...

Do you think the scriptural canon that Paul was referring to included Solomon's Song?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

K...
quote:
...hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. Revelation 2:6
Didn't Jesus teach forgivness? Is he Raphiel?
quote:
Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. Revelation 2:16 and 17
Did He teach that you had to convert all who did not believe?
quote:
Those whom I love I rebuke... Revelation 3:19
Thats it for a while, give me time.

[ June 21, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
All Scripture was godbreathed
That begs the question, then--exactly what texts were considered to be scripture when Timothy was written? Does this apply to later works of scripture as well? Does it apply to texts that were considered scripture by one sect of Christianity or another when Timothy was written, but are not included in the Bible?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"she's an atheist[and I have no problem with that, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness])"

Yeah, I bet some of your best friends are atheists.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Caitlin, if you could, please cite your source--give us the chapter and verse; that way we'll be more able to evaluate your argument, and provide you with a more reasoned response.
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

Ouch! *falls to the ground with an arrow through her heart* You got me...

Oh plese, can't you think of any thing better to do besides pick on a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD!!!

I got it from that site posted earlier... I already closed it, but yeah... hold on... [Wall Bash]

[ June 21, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No one is picking on you darlin'. [Smile]
If anything they are respecting you by arguing your points. [Smile] Just roll with it. Cheers.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My OSC-fan sense is tingling...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

lol Yeah, even as I'm typing this, I'm re-reading Ender's Game(my comp has dial-up)
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] No, I think she's just who she says he is.

Noemon is paying you an enormous compliment, dear. He'd be the last person in the world to pick on anyone - if you have computer, you have access to the text of the Bible. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
<is still snickering at the "Catholic" Klan>

sorry...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Still patiently waiting for some explanation of the Catholics beating people crack...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

No... I was talking about Tom, not Neomon.
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

Dagonee, I just heard it on Mancow. They did it to him... But you gotta put out some trust sometimes, you know?

[ June 21, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wow. I've never had the urge before to write one of those posts that aspectre and Tammy were talking about.

Must...restrain...post...of...death...

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
A few posts back, did someone imply that there is actually a version of the Bible that uses the word "God-breathed" in 2 Timothy 3:16? Seriously?

Hm. And here I thought that was just a silly word invented by certain modern Christian sects.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Caitlin, I'm curious. Why do you believe what Mancow says? Do you think he is a truthful person on his radio program? Is he someone you would respect and look up to in real life? And if so, Why?

(I'm also wondering why your parents allow you to listen to him in the first place considering how vulgar he is, but that's a different subject.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

??? Who are they? ??? My brother said that you can look at people's posts... He's Chamrajar or something...

P.S. Yes, I do believe him, and my parents don't know, and them both being liberals, I'm not about to tell them.

[ June 21, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Caitlin Strand ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe that's the wrong citation, but I have always seen that translated "inspired by God" which merely means "God-Breathed"

the thing about Catholics beating people is a little ruffling to us Catholics, so forgive us if we're edgy...

13 or no, it might be wise to apologize for said crack, especially when the board at large is being so solicitous to you, miss Caitlin.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Especially the irony of putting it in there with the Klan. You know why there was a thriving Klan in Oregon at the beginning of the 20th Century? I'll give you a hint: there weren't a whole lot of African Americans there.

Dagonee

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok your parents don't know. That's fine.

WHY do you believe him? That's the part I really want to know. Why do you think he tells the truth. What proof do you have that he is telling the truth?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I mean why do you believe him, instead of Rush Limbaugh (who I'm sure your parents would be even more upset about you listening to if they are as you describe them) or NPR, or the former Roe and Gary show (though I can't remember what it's called now).

AJ

Kwea
Member # 2199

Caitlin, so far you haven't posted any chapter/verse, you have implied (to put it mildly) that one of the main authors of the bible was the anti-Christ, and the only source you have given is mancow...and you can't quote him either.

We aren't using your age as a reason to pick on you....how about you stop trying to use it as a shield to hide behind.

You have also managed to imply, on a site filled with (and sponsored by) Mormons that the LDS faith is intolerant of other faiths.

I think we had been pretty tolerant, all things considered.

P.S. and no, I am not a Mormon...

Sorry, you were bagging on JW, not mormons.....

[ June 21, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this is the nicest I've ever seen the board be to someone acting as immature as you're acting right now. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
He's a man...

He's a cow...

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

wonder if he has an udder...
[Razz]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I don't think she's said anything at all about Mormons, just Jehovah's Witnesses.

Where's Ralphie when you need her?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

oooooohhhhh *anxiously await's Ralphie's entrance into this thread*

Her remarks in these sorts of situations are always so appropriate...

AJ

Kwea
Member # 2199

Same principles hold true, though...

I edited to make a correction, but left my original post the same...I just added to it.

Thanks for the heads-up..

Kwea

[ June 21, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
...ruminating the countryside...

MANCOW!

MANCOW!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Caitlin, I'm also amazed that you could possibly think Mancow is conservative considering I'd heard he'd been recently fined by the FCC and conservative groups like the one in that link hate him!

AJ

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I like the idea of someone rebelling against liberal parents by becoming a - gasp - conservative!

"I'll show mom and dad they don't control me. Pass me the National Review!"

Dagonee

Kwea
Member # 2199

[Big Grin]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Btw this may explain the mumbo jumbo Catilin's spouting.

AJ

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.