FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Cellist Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Cellist Thread
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't suprise me much. We all know that hatrackers are smart, and that musicians are smart. So it isn't much of a suprise that many hatrackers were musicians in high school or something like that. If you split the hatrackers up, it also isn't suprising that this many were cellists.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Fah, you're celling yourself short.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this thread to my mom, who used to play the viola. It turns out the reason why she hasn't played it in ages is simply that she needs new strings.

When she looks online, she finds a huge range of prices and brands -- and she doesn't have any idea what is a reasonable price or good brand.

Can any of you stringed-folks help?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I would send her to Shar to buy the strings, since they tend to be pretty reasonable, but I don't know what a good set of strings for a viola would be. (Here are their viola sets.)

Usually you'll want to pick strings based on the core that they have, which will change what kind of sound the instrument produces. Steel core strings will produce a brighter sound, while perlon and synthetic core strings produce a warmer sound (I think). When I bought string sets for my cello, I would usually buy a perlon A and D (the upper strings) and an alloy C and G. I like Larsen, but they're a bit on the pricey side. Thomastik Dominant, a perlon set, might not be a bad idea, depending on how much/how publically she's planning on playing.

Edit: Oh, and just to toss in my favorite viola joke: How do you know when you've got a herd of violists at your door?

They don't know when to come in, and they can't find the key.

[ July 04, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Q: What is the difference between an oboe and an english horn?
A: An english horn burns longer.

Q: What is perfect pitch?
A: Throwing a viola into the toilet without hitting the rim.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Megan. [Smile] I emailed my mom a link to that set. And these are entirely for non-performance use. My mom just misses playing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.