FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kinsey: let's talk about sex (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kinsey: let's talk about sex
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification: homosexuality does not equal child molester. Kinsey said that homosexuality was normal, as in common. Kinsey did not say that child molestation was common or normal. Kinsey never engaged in or encouraged child molestation.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Who said homosexual equals child molester? If that was later on my link, I apologize for that. If it is true that Kinsey only got the data on pedophilia from convicts, I guess he might have outlined it as criminal behavior in his report. If he wanted to be sure that it was clear that he didn't condone that behavior. But my impression of him is that he was just reporting, not judging. My position is simply that objectivity can go too far.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, forget it. Obviously, no one is going to admit that what was just recently being asserted was that Kinsey stated child molestation was both common and okay, even though there is no factual data showing it.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You can quote me if you like. Or are you actually new to the board? If so welcome to Hatrack. I said I was not okay with Kinsey saying sexual stimulation of infants was part of human sexual behavior in a value-neutral context. "common" and "okay" both got added in by others.

I realize the chart was not about child molestation but about orgasm in children. He felt felons were an appropriate source for this information. I think he was a both unethical and immoral.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, Justa is the expert in what other people said. [Wink]

[ July 15, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, thank you very much for your link.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is impossible to collect good data, its better to collect what bad data one can and hope something will still be relevant in the analysis.

Kinsey was creating the modern study of sexuality. He had to deal with situations that prevented him (in many cases rightly) from collecting good data. He settled for collecting all the data he could get, good and bad, and catalogued it all extensively for people to look at in raw form all they wanted. Yes, he tried to draw conclusions, many wrong, from it as well, but we still consider (for instance), Plato and Aristotle geniuses despite the relative ease with which we know holes can be poked in many of their arguments, even by simple observation.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

http://www.reason.com/0502/cr.js.doctor.shtml

Interesting article on Kinsey.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Has CT's link disappeared? It's not in this thread at all. [Confused]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Apparently it has.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_9-2-2005_pg9_5

Barely relevant, but amusing.

Um, Kinsey was trying to be detached and objective in gathering, as scientists are wont to do. If he was studying apes doing those things, it would not seem so contraversial.

Kinsey: hardworking scientific pioneer or sex-obsessed deviant? Meh. I'd say both, depending on what part of his life you happen to focus on. I really don't see the contoversy here.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.