FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gargoyles (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gargoyles
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL pfresh =D
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Does Greg talk about the new comic? Or should I just look it up? [Wink]

I hope this answers your question.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

This looks neat. =D
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some neat stuff on there. Makes me more interested in the series, which is always a good thing.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Okay, I've watched episodes 6 and 7 now as well. Episode 6 was decent, but a lot of it was obvious. Episode 7 brought up a question though. In Episode 7, Demona uses a spell to control Goliath. When she flees (due to Brooklyn gaining control over Goliath), she takes some pages with her, and Brooklyn can't find the pages that say how to reverse the spell. So Elisa comes up with a makeshift solution. She takes control of Goliath and orders him to act as if I were not under a spell, and so Goliath seems more or less normal again. The thing is though that really didn't break the spell. So doesn't that mean that the possibility is still out there for someone to take the pages and control Goliath again? A possible solution to this would be to burn the pages, so that no one else could take control (and I'd assume that Goliath would follow whatever was the last order given to him). Of course maybe that solution would kill Goliath. Who knows. It just seems kind of like another thing left hanging.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Actually pfresh, I think Eliza ordered him to act as if he weren't under a spell..forever. Ergo, the original spell wouldn't apply...

edit: except in insuring other spells don't take effect on him...

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
That is interesting. It seems possible that that could innoculate him from future spells. Since this spell is still in effect and it tells him to act as if he weren't under a spell forever, it seems like a more recent spell would have no effect. Any thoughts?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

But see that's not the same as removing the spell. He is acting as if there is no spell, but the spell is still there. Since it is still there, that means that he could still be ordered around (since I'd assume new orders have precedence over old orders).

EDIT: This would mean of course that the people would have to first know that he was under a spell (hard to know since he acts like he isn't) and would have to obtain the pages to control him. I still think it's quite possible though.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

Eliza specified that he was to act that way forever (as in, regardless of any other orders). I think that would take precendence since it gives instructions as to what to do with future orders.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't think it works that way though. If it did work that way, why wouldn't Demona just say "You will obey my commands only for the rest of your life" when she first did it? She had time (since Brooklyn was confused). I think this was just a work around the writers came up with.

EDIT: Also Elisa never mentions orders. She just says "Act for the rest of your life as if you were not under a spell." That to me means that he won't ever seem like he's under a spell; he will be himself. He is still under a spell though and should take orders (whether he is acting as if he is under the spell or not). I guess the whole word I'm basing my argument on is the word "act".

Amanecer
Member # 4068

I think that to act like you're not under a spell, you would have to not take orders. But we're getting pretty nitpicky. [Razz] Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree. [Smile]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, it is nitpicky. Oh well. At least it kept the thread alive for a little longer.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I don't think it works that way though. If it did work that way, why wouldn't Demona just say "You will obey my commands only for the rest of your life" when she first did it? She had time (since Brooklyn was confused). I think this was just a work around the writers came up with.

EDIT: Also Elisa never mentions orders. She just says "Act for the rest of your life as if you were not under a spell." That to me means that he won't ever seem like he's under a spell; he will be himself. He is still under a spell though and should take orders (whether he is acting as if he is under the spell or not). I guess the whole word I'm basing my argument on is the word "act".

I think your head will explode when time travel pops up in the show.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

My head is prone to time travel-related explosions. Too many holes in all that stuff.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Which is why you always call for suspension of disbelief. Holes are irrelevant if the overall story is good. =D

Plus you don't want to sound like the comicbookstoreguy.

Wait...we post on a sci-fi author's forum.

We're all comicbookstoreguy.

Nevermind.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well see, I'm all for suspension of disbelief. At the same time, I want any kind of writer's to be consistent in their work. Like the flying example from the first place. If the writer says the gargoyles can't fly, then I never expect them to fly and I may get confused and irritated when I see them flying. Now holes in stories are a little differently, because they aren't really contradictions but just information that is left out (and that we have to make random guesses at). [/comicbookguy]
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Well see, I'm all for suspension of disbelief. At the same time, I want any kind of writer's to be consistent in their work. Like the flying example from the first place. If the writer says the gargoyles can't fly, then I never expect them to fly and I may get confused and irritated when I see them flying. Now holes in stories are a little differently, because they aren't really contradictions but just information that is left out (and that we have to make random guesses at). [/comicbookguy]

Well, I think in Gargoyles the series creator and his writers were very big on consistency but in a real clever way. For instance, most serial type shows tend to promise a payoff. Gargoyles rarely made such promises yet its central story would consistently progress while delivering a fair amount of surprises. One of these, for instance, has to do with the poor motorcycle fellow Lexington glides by in "Awakening" who gets scared and crashes his bike. A little incident, you would think, and yet later on in season 2 this poor guy comes for revenge against the Gargoyles. Apparently, he was also on the airship and was one of the humans knocked out by Demona, and the Gargoyles have again and again accidently messed with him. We don't consider his perspective until this late in the game--and you sort of feel sorry for him. It's those little things that made the program special--its affinity for returning to seemingly irrelavent characters and considering their perspective.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.