FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama Con- Chicago-Style Pizza We are eating it on FRIDAY you lunkheads (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kama Con- Chicago-Style Pizza We are eating it on FRIDAY you lunkheads
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey AJ...are there going to be any plain cheese?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I was planing on getting 1 or 2 of them, they are cheaper at $15 each but for the sake of cost estimates I was lumping them with the 1-toppings cause the savings is only a dollar.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lou sounds fantastic. I'd be thrilled to have a piece of that and a piece of either cheese or mushroom pizza, or something else without sausage or pepperoni on it.

Yay, pizza!

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me if this is too annoying of me and I'll shut up.

I'm thinking I'd like to spend Saturday morning/midday downtown doing the Chicago thing.

I bring this up because it gives you the option of not counting me and whomever would like to join me in the Saturday lunch count. If this is helpful, I'm all for it, but if it just makes things more complicated, I'll still pitch in for lunch and then just do my own thing.

For anyone who wants to join me, I'm thinking we should eat Saturday lunch at Gino's downtown, where the atmosphere (you can write on the walls!) is 80% of the allure.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Annie I respectufully disagree. I believe that Chicago style pizza is about the taste not the amosphere or location (though it is difficult to find the correct tasting pizza outside of the Chicago metro area.) And there are gazillions of other unique resturaunts in Chicago. Wouldn't you rather spend your lunch time at one of them? especially since we already are getting pizza the night before...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also the cold cuts are going to be for grazing through out the next two days. So you know it may not be your lunch but it could be your midnight snack.

AJ

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point, AJ. We could do some really good ethnic food...

(edit)

[ August 04, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, if credit card cost is getting to be a problem, let me know; I'm nowhere near the limit on any of mine, and I'd be glad to shoulder some of the up-front costs.

(BTW, what would Giordano's charge? I still say it's a far superior pizza, in terms of quality -- esp. sauce, which is the most important element of any deep-dish.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Giordanos charges virtually the same as Lou's. Location was the biggest factor. Lou's is practically around the corner from the Holiday Inn. Ginos was ruled out because of cost they are about $5 more per pizza. I never did look up Uno's.

AJ

(btw I respectfully disagree on the quality of lou's vs. giordanos pizza, I think Lous and Ginos are far superior in every rway to giordano's but hey that's what food is all about <grin>)

[ August 04, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Pizza is also one of those rare foods that doesn't taste bad when it is 3 hours old. And given that people are going to be trickling in all day Friday I have no idea when the last group of people will arrive. Pizza allows more flexibility than many of the other options for a Friday night meal.

AJ

Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza is pizza; I will eat it almost regardless of what's on it. I say go for the cheaper option; Lou Malnati's makes great pizza.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Tom I might take you up on that credit card offer. I'm trying to limit people who contribute financially to a minimum because I don't want paying back to become a royal nightmare.

I'm also trying to figure out what we will have $$ for. If we do a $10/adult surcharge (by adult I mean anyone who eats adult portions) we should have between $400-$450 in revenue. Taking $400 as the conservative estimate.

If they don't give us any additional discounts on the hospitality room, $150 is gone instantly leaving $250 left, which would probably be the pizza and tax, but leaving nothing left for coldcuts and snacks. (In bulk, I was figuring around $75 ish for those)

We could up the cost per person to like $12, but I also don't want to end up money left over either. I guess if there was money left we could donate it to First Book or something.

AJ

And the reason why the Location is critical for the pizza place, is beccause even though they only charge a $2 delivery fee for a large order, you'd have to tip the pizza delivery guy and even 10% of a $200 is not inconsequential.
(So I was planning on picking it up)

AJ

[ August 04, 2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Sounds like a plan.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I think the coldcuts are almost entirely irrelevant. While it's useful to provide for a given meal, I think people can fend for themselves when it comes to snacks.

I'd actually be more interested in paying for bulk quantities of potable liquids (like sodas and the like), since there are more substantial financial benefits there when buying in bulk. But if money's tight, I wouldn't even do that. The hotel's close to a gas station, and all gas stations sell snacks and drinks.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok, then we will revise the coldcuts ideas to potable liquids and a few snacks. I will probably buy three or four cases of water bottles alone, depending on the weather. If it is hot we don't want anyone dehydrated. I was including the liquids in with the cold cuts idea, but liquids will be much cheaper by themselves.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw rivka the bottled water I'll be buying has a Circle U on the bottle.

As I recall it is $6 or less for a case of 48 half liter bottles.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] AJ, thanks! (And plain water doesn't really need a hechsher, although some people prefer to buy it with one.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that one more person won't make or break any of your plans but I will be visiting with all of you fine people on Saturday and Sunday.

Edit because I didn't read all the posts. Foolish me.

[ August 04, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Punwit -- does this pre-empt plans, then, to have Ivygirl and me stop by your place on our way to Chicago the day prior? Would that be bad timing?

Farmgirl
p.s. - get on AIM!

[ August 04, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm thinking I'd like to spend Saturday morning/midday downtown doing the Chicago thing.

I quite agree. I'm a get-out-and-explore-the-fun-new-place-I-haven't-been sort of person, although I will enjoy talking to everyone. No sleep 'til departure time!

Even if we do go out and have pizza in Chicago proper, you can still definitely save a slice or two for me back at the hotel because I'm a monstrous eater.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The pizza will be FRIDAY NIGHT i.e. you will be eating it before you go out gallivanting on Saturday.

If you really want to go out and eat pizza twice that is fine with me.

I'm not guaranteeing leftovers.

AJ

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll begin this by once again thanking AJ for all her work. Thanks.

I now have two questions (which may morph into more than two). First -- do you have a time planned for the pizza? We'uns and mackillian will be at the Cubs game, which doesn't start until 2:20. Been a while since I was at a professional baseball game, but I'm figuring that three hours is a conservative estimate, then there'll be time traveling back, so I'd doubt we'd be there before 6:00. I'm not asking that people work around my schedule or anything, just trying to get an idea (though I hope if we do arrive later than the pizza that some will be left for us). I know people (generally west coast) who eat dinner at 4:30 and people (generally east coast) who eat dinner at 9:00, and I'm just wondering if we'd settled on some sort of middle ground.

Second -- we had asked you some time back regarding a "pack-n-play" type portable crib we might use for Superstation, and you were going to check if you could find one for us. I know your plate has been full, so I didn't know if you'd gotten any info yet.

I'm also gonna throw in with Tom -- if up-front money is a problem, we'll be happy to help however we can. And since we'll be arriving Wednesday, anything that doesn't need to be dealt with before then we can help with cash or check rather than dealing with multiple credit cards.

Ok, another question, and for all rather than just AJ. Is two pieces of pizza normally enough for you people? When we order pizza, I generally eat half a large, sometimes more, and Mama eats a bit less, but still more than two pieces. Are we just assuming that things will average out with some lighter eaters out there? Oh, and as a note, either of those multiple-topping specialties sounds fantabulous.

Again (because it can't be said too often), thank you for your organizational efforts. You rock.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Pop, Chicago deep dish pizzas are pretty filling, there is a lot more topping on them than most "regular" pizzas, so I wasn't too worried. And they reccomended the 13 for the upper limit of 50 people that I gave them.

I was thinking about 6 or 7ish for the pizza to kind of hit the middle. (If worse comes to worse and we run out and the "later' crowd hasn't arrived, we can order more, the pizza place is 2 miles away.)

I will ask my neighbor tomorrow about the portable crib (remind me if you don't hear from me, I forget at times even though I don't mean to.) Have you asked the Holiday Inn? I would be surprised if they don't provide something themselves, because they have a very very kid friendly set up. I think Mooslet will love the play house and area.

Something else, when going to the Cubs came I'd Strongly Reccommend public transportation. I'll try to figure out which line gets you to Wrigley but the freeway and side streets are jammed for hours before and after a game.

AJ

[ August 05, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs at new thread title*
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish i was coming. I want pizza!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza Friday + downtown Saturday sounds great. I had "BWW" (hot wings place) recommended by a Skokie native but I may wait until Monday to hit that with said friends themselves.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay. Pizza. yay. Chicago. Yay.

<-- leaving tomorrow [Eek!]

[Kiss] Banna

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
For those not familiar with Chicago-style deep dish ("stuffed") pizza: they are not kidding when they say DEEP. When I get regular old pizza here, I can eat almost half a large myself. When I get deep dish, I am lucky to finish two slices. Sometimes if I'm REALLY hungry, I will have two and a half, but that is it. They are pie-shaped, and BIG.

I would expect most folks will be eating somewhere between one and three slices.

For stuffed pizza, I much prefer plain cheese, but wouldn't say no to a meat (sausage, pepperoni, or both).

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.