FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Middle Earth Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Middle Earth Thread
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Head - I'd have liked to see what the result was, perhaps in a dry-run before saying yea or nay.

But as the elves were presented, I just wasn't impressed.

Of course, I wasn't all that enchanted with the trilogy overall, so take my grousing with a grain of salt.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing I disliked about the movies is that they showed Aragorn's character incorrectly, in that they showed him as reluctant to take up the quest and the burden of fighting against Sauron and returning his line to kingship over humans in Middle Earth. This is slander. Aragorn from his earliest youth (he grew up in Rivendell with Elrond) was an enemy of Sauron and embraced his destiny.
quote:
Part of that was the whole "Galadriel as Large Marge" bit when she's offered the ring
Amen. Actually, I think PJ did a pretty poor job with his interpretations of most of the characters. Some of them he got mostly right, but still robbed them of--in my opinion--crucial moments. Others were just plain wrong. I think Boromir was about the only character I was completely satisfied with, with Gandalf and Gollum as close seconds.

And may I just say, Jake, that I think that was a truly awesome pop culture reference.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Boromir was the man! Well, one of the few humans able to kill orcs, goblins and Uruk-Hai. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::bows deeply::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, of all the characters, the films nailed Boromir the best, too.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

And for pity's sake - what self-respecting adventurer doesn't carry rope when walking into a dungeon? [Taunt]

-Trevor

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
i always pictured boromir being bigger that what they portrayed. By that i mean more muscular and powerful. But I was very satisfied with the character anyway.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Snicker.

Things to do when I fall off a bridge and I end up clinging to the shattered edge:

1. Scream at the top of my lungs, "Come pull me up, you <rude Elvish phrases>!"

-Trevor

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an article I compiled from several different sources talking about the nature of the spirits of Elves and Humans and why the Elves that remain in our mortal world seem more interested in just existing rather than the energetic Elves of the Ages of the Trees or the First Age of the Sun... and why the Rings of Power project was started...

quote:
"...the longevity of the Quendi[Elves] was derived
primarily from their fëar[souls], whose nature or 'doom'
was to abide in Arda[Earth] until its end. Therefore, after
the vitality of the hröa[body] was expended in achieving
full growth, it began to weaken or grow weary. Very slowly
indeed, but to all the Quendi perceptibly. For a while it
would be fortified and maintained by its indwelling fëa,
and then its vitality would begin to ebb, and its desire
for physical life and joy in it would pass ever more
swiftly away. Then an Elf would begin (as they say now, for
these things did not fully appear in the Elder Days) to
'fade', until the fëa as it were consumed the hröa until it
remained only in the love and memory of the spirit that had
inhabited it.

But in Aman[Valinor], since its blessing descended upon the
hröa of the Eldar[another name for the Elves], as upon all
other bodies, the hröa aged only apace with the fëar, and
the Eldar that remained in the Blessed Realm endured in
full maturity and in undimmed power of body and spirit
conjoined for ages beyond our mortal comprehension."

Text XI Myths Transformed

This does not necessarily mean that Men would live forever
- they might live longer (or not cf the example of Lúthien
:the wise have said that the Silmaril hastened their end;
for the flame of the beauty of Lúthien as she wore it was
too bright for mortal lands.) as do the creatures of Aman
(all those creatures that were thither transplanted or were
trained or bred or brought into being for the purpose of
inhabitation in Aman were given a speed of growth such that
one year of the life natural to their kinds on Earth should
in Aman be one Valian Year.), but despite a possible
prolongation of life, the fëar of Men was not intended for
eternal life within Arda. [As this was a post-Lord of the
Rings essay, the Valian year was 144 years of the Sun. Thus
a human body in Aman might be able to live for up to 144
times its Natural span in Middle-earth] However this is not
as straight-forward as it appears. Tolkien addresses the
possibility of Men dwelling in Aman in the continuation of
the cited text:Quote:
But let us suppose that the 'blessing of Aman' was also
accorded to Men.* What then? Would a great good be done to
them? Their bodies would still come swiftly to full growth.
In the seventh part of a [Valian] year a Man could be born
and become full-grown, as swiftly as in Aman a bird would
hatch and fly from the nest. But then it would not wither
or age but would endure in vigour and in the delight of
bodily living. But what of that Man's fëar? Its nature and
'doom' could not be changed, neither by the health of Aman
nor by the will of Manwë[King of the gods/Valar] himself.
Yet it is (as the Eldar hold) its nature and doom under the
will of Eru Iluvatar[God] that it should not endure Arda
for long, but should depart and go elsewhither, returning
maybe direct to Eru for another fate or purpose that is
beyond the knowledge or guess of the Eldar.

Very soon then the fëar and hröa of a Man in Aman would not
be united and at peace, but would be opposed, to the great
pain of both. The hröa being in full vigour and joy of life
would cling to the fëa, lest its departure should bring
death; and against death it would revolt as would a great
beast in full life either flee from the hunter or turn
savagely upon him. But the fëa would be as it were in
prison, becoming ever more weary of all the delights of the
hröa, until they were loathsome to it, longing ever more
and more to be gone, until even those matters for its
thought that it received through the hröa and its senses
became meaningless. The Man would not be blessed, but
accursed; and he would curse the Valar and Aman and all the
things of Arda. And he would not willingly leave Aman, for
that would mean rapid death, and he would have to be thrust
forth with violence. But if he remained in Aman, what
should he come to, ere Arda were at last fulfilled and he
found release? Either his fëa would be wholly dominated by
the hröa, and he would become more like a beast, though one
tormented within. Or else, if his fëa were strong, it would
leave the hröa, Then one of two things would happen: either
this would be accomplished only in hate, by violence, and
the hröa, in full life, would be rent and die in sudden
agony; or else the fëa would in loathing and without pity
desert the hröa, and it would live on, a witless body, not
even a beast but a monster, a very work of Melkor in the
midst of Aman, which the Valar themselves would fain
destroy.

Now these things are but matters of thought, and
might-have-beens; for Eru and the Valar under Him have not
permitted Men as they are to dwell in Aman. Yet at least it
may be seen that Men in Aman would not escape the dread of
death, but would have it in greater degree and for long
ages. And moreover, it seems probable that death itself,
either in agony or horror, would with Men enter into Aman
itself.
* [Footnote] Or (as some Men hold) that their hröar are not
by nature short-lived, but have become so through the
malice of Melkor over and above the general marring of
Arda, and that this hurt could be healed and undone in
Aman.

Myths Transformed, Text XI, Aman, HOME X, Morgoth's Ring.

Thus at best, the animal nature of the human hröa would
dominate the entrapped fëa and the 'prolonged' Man would
live as a beast; or else he would either die in agony or
his hröa would live as a mindless shell after his fëa
abandoned it. This would not apply to Tuor, who had his
'kind' changed by the express action of Eru; or the
Ringbearers, who would eventually choose to accept the Gift
of Ilúvatar with estel long before their fëar and hröar
became 'disunited'.

[The Akallabêth, it must be remembered, is a Númenórean
text, and thus (to my mind) of lesser credibility than JRRT
writing as Editor and Redactor of all available
Middle-earth lore, as he does in his Essays. Thus while
Elendil might record in that work:Quote:
The Eldar reported these words to the Valar, and Manwë was
grieved, seeing a cloud gather on the noontide of Númenor.
And he sent messengers to the Dúnedain, who spoke earnestly
to the King, and to all who would listen, concerning the
fate and fashion of the world.

'The Doom of the World,' they said, 'One alone can change
who made it. And were you so to voyage that escaping all
deceits and snares you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed
Realm, little would it profit you. For it is not the land
of Manwë that makes its people deathless, but the Deathless
that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you
would but wither and grow weary the sooner, as moths in a
light too strong and steadfast.'

'Akallabêth, The Silmarillion,

[ August 04, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize, of course, that no elves actually exist, right? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Blasphemey! (spelling?) Of course elves exist you silly fool. [No No]

[ August 04, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very pleased with how they did Sam, but was bitterly dissapointed at the stuff they left out for his character.

[ August 04, 2004, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Galadriel issue, I think Cate did a great job! Galadriel was the only force holding Sauron at bay, at least on the magic/psychic level (Gondor was holding him back on a military level).
She is a Third Generation High Elf after all of royal blood with a Ring of Power... she's almost a demi-god at this point.

Galadriel needed to be shown as a powerful ethereal figure. Of course the Galadriel goes nuclear scene is up for debate... [Wink]

The look of her for the movie is great too. Pale skin and great hair and those eyes! Super cool. Cate shows the true authority that Lady Galadriel has.

[ August 04, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The answers on the elf reproduction question cleared that up for me, dunno why I didn't think of those reasons myself. Never mind it was a minor gripe.
This is what bugged me in the movies: First and foremost - pointy ears on the elves!!! [Mad] I can't find anywhere in tolkien where it says they had those ears.
Second, the silly way they all marched into Helm's Deep, like toy soldiers.
I didn't like Cate Blanchett at first, but she was one of the oldest living things in Middle Earth, so eventually I thought that she had the right amount of gravitas for that,as opposed to Gandalf, for example, who was more a man of the people, so to speak.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There was quite a big uproar in the Tolkien geek crowd when it was revealed that Peter Jackson was putting pointy ears on the elves.

But that pales in comparison to the question "Do balrogs have wings?" question.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Let the self proclaimed Tolkien scholar and geek-boy help! [Smile]

Tolkien DID say the Elves had pointy ears. Well... the actual quote is that they are "leaf shaped"... but it's about the same thing.

But Tolkien didn't make too much of a deal about ears. To him the eyes were most important. It looked like reflected stars in their eyes (you can really see this in the Galadriel scenes). And of course the High Elves had a glow about them, residue from the Uttermost West.

Now, even though I'm a purist I'm also a pragmatist. I enjoyed the Elves at Helm's Deep as it reflected the themes from the Silmarillion. And I thought the Elves marching into Helm's Deep was really cool ....why? Because to me it showed their cultural superiority and how advanced they are over the fallen civilizations of Man.

And so called Balrog debate? Pha...
If people would just read the book they would see that the Balrog DID have wings.

quote:
The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and it's wings were spread from wall to wall ; but still Gandalf could still be seen, glimmering in the gloom; he seemed small, and altogether alone: grey and bent, like a wizened tree before the onset of a storm.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Balrog the boxer in Street Fighter II?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien's description of elven ears were that they were "leaf-shaped" So he definitely made mention of the fact that their ears were different from humans.

I think pointy ears makes sense, unless you want them to have ears shaped like a maple leaf.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

[tangent]

I understand that in a previous version of Street Fighter 2, or perhaps in the planning, the boxer's name was originally M. Bison and the final boss's name was Balrog, but the names were swapped because M. Bison was too close to M. Tyson.

[/tangent]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon Telp, it's not taht simple. If that passage were cut and dry, no one would be arguing the question.

Many people (myself included) think that's a metaphor referring to the shadow he cast, which in an earlier passage was described as having wings.

And, Tolkien was a master linguist, why use a metaphor of wings when the thing really had wings - why not just mention his winged shadow literally?

Then there's the description somewhere of the balrogs running or charging - obviously not flying though.

We're never given an indication that the Balrog can fly - if he did, why didn't he just fly when the bridge crumbled beneath him? And if he doesn't fly, of what use is there for him to have wings?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, cool, saxon!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

IIRC correctly, there *is* a reference of Balrogs flying into battle, but it's phrased in such a way that you cold interpret it as "flying with wings" or "running really fast".

Of course, there's also anough lee-way to flame others for days on end about how they aren't smart enough to agree with you. [Smile]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

They renamed Bison to Balrog??? Weirdness...
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Well, why do flamingos need wings? and chickens?

Wings made the balrog seem more menacing. Flaming wings of death those were. wings made him seem like more of a demon, which i liked a lot. he wouldn't be the same without them. I'm not sure if he can fly but wings are necessary anyway in my mind.

Cashew
Member # 6023

yeah but they didn't look REAL when they marched in to Helm's Deep. It was just too artificial for me. However, I'm very forgiving, and the realities of having to tell and depict in a completely different medium, and to early 21st century (as opposed to mid-20th) sensibilities, and to eyes not familiar with the stories necessarily, enabled me to basically ignore those things. Plus, the rest of the things in the movies were done so well. I LOVED the Balrog!
For me, in the books, the two most powerful scenes were Frodo at the Ford of Bruinen, when the Nazgul were calling him to come to Mordor, and Gollum at the Cracks of Doom. Incredibly powerful.
My favourite description of the elves is in the last part of the Appendix on the Eldar, where Tolkien gives a wonderful final summarising description of them, can't quote it, but I love it.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

In the Silmarillion the Balrogs fly to Melkor when he is being attacked by Ungoliant. [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
My favourite description of the elves is in the last part of the Appendix on the Eldar, where Tolkien gives a wonderful final summarising description of them, can't quote it, but I love it.
Yah... it makes me cry... [Smile]
Cashew
Member # 6023

The man just writs so beautifully.
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
For me, in the books, the two most powerful scenes were Frodo at the Ford of Bruinen, when the Nazgul were calling him to come to Mordor, and Gollum at the Cracks of Doom. Incredibly powerful.
So, did the movie depiction of Frodo at the Ford upset you? It upset me immensely. It's upsetting me right now as I'm thinking of it.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

How was it different? I couldn't get through the LOTR books. Sorry, don't hate me.
Cashew
Member # 6023

Didn't upset me, more disappointment that they changed the Ford scene to involve Arwen more (but, hey the more Arwen on screen the better!). I thought Ralph Bakshi did the Ford scene really well though. The Cracks of Doom scene was okay.
I was also looking forward to the Mouth of Sauron, but no Mouth ...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

At least it wasn't as bad as the ford scene in this movie. I've read the books about 5 times, and I still can't follow that scen in the movie.
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
How was it different? I couldn't get through the LOTR books. Sorry, don't hate me.
In the novel, Frodo races ahead of the group (I think because Glorfindel tells the horse to run) when the Nazgul arrive. He gets to the Ford of the Bruinen just ahead of the Nazgul, crosses, and stops on the other side. The Nazgul halt before crossing, calling to Frodo to come to them. Frodo fells the compulsion from them and from the Ring, and he is terribly weak--dying, in fact. Yet, somehow, he manages to call up some inner reserve of strength and draws his sword defiantly, telling the Nazgul that they shall have neither the Ring nor him. He is subsequently knocked unconscious by the Nazgul--who also break his sword--and then is saved by Gandalf and Elrond, who call up the river to drown the Nazgul.

In the film version, Arwen carries the semi-conscious Frodo on her horse, racing ahead when the Nazgul arrive. They chase her across the Ford, where she incants some sort of spell as she crosses. She then draws her sword and stands against the Nazgul--although I think that since she has already spoken her spell this is largely done to lure the Nazgul into the river, which she has enchanted to drown them. Frodo succumbs to the knife point in his wound just as the Nazgul are drowning, and Arwen cries about it.

Taking the moment of strength away from Frodo and turning him into a victim that needs to be cared for is unforgivable, in my opinion.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That's how I saw him through all the movies. It annoyed me and I hadn't even read the books.
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
At least it wasn't as bad as the ford scene in this movie. I've read the books about 5 times, and I still can't follow that scen in the movie.
Porter, that is the Ralph Bakshi version. You know, the Bakshi film gets all kinds of criticism, but I think that Bakshi actually did a better job of sticking to the spirit of the story. His actors were not as good, and the animation was kind of hokey, but I think he was at least paying attention to the story.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oops. I missed your reference.

While that movie may have been truer to the books on a point-by-point basis, it fails in one major way:

It was not enjoyable.

And *that* is unforgivable to me.

Cashew
Member # 6023

Well I thought Bakshi did a good job with the Ford scene.
Cashew
Member # 6023

The scene with Arwen and Elrond in the second movie, where he's challenging her about marrying Aragorn, and asks her if she doesn't love him (Elrond)too, and she runs to him and says she does love him, gets me every time. I have a daughter who married a lovely guy from California (they live in Utah), and I can relate to Elrond big-time in that scene. It's a dimension that isn't really looked at in the books, Elrond losing his only daughter.
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
It was not enjoyable.
::shrug:: Well, I enjoy it, but that may have a lot to do with the fact that I was around 8 (±2) when I first saw it.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Belle - we don't know if the wings were ornamental or functional.

We also don't know if there was enough room for the balrog to fully unfurl his wings (assuming they were indeed functional).

However, I'd be happy to share my rant about Leggy watching while Gandalf grew bored with hanging on to the bridge and let go.

-Trevor

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, from the Grey Havens, a very cool Tolkien web site.... Flying Balrogs

And..... More on Balrogs

Just because something runs doesn't mean they can't fly....the 2 aren't mutually exclusive...

I really liked Galadrial, but unlike most of you I thought the scene with her and Frodo in the grotto was perfect....just how I imagined it. That is one of my favorite scenes in the books too, and I thought it was true to the spirit of the books, and to a large extent to the actual description of what happened.

I can find a lot of thing I DIDN'T like about the movies (can anyone say Scouring of the Shire? According to Tolkien, it was the most important chapter he had written....), but the 2 criticisms I can't stand are about this scene and the scene with Bilbo in Rivendale.

Both people change, and almost succumb to the One Rings power, although for different reasons....the ring exerts itself very differently with those who have borne it or another Ring of Power, and I think the movies did a great job showing that.

Kwea

[ August 04, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
Both people change, and almost succumb to the One Rings power, although for different reasons....the ring exerts itself very differently with those who have borne it or another Ring of Power, and I think the movies did a great job showing that.
My gripe with the scene in Rivendell is not that Bilbo was tempted by the Ring. My problem is that that scene contains one of the most poignant lines in the entire trilogy, and PJ left it out. In the novel, Bilbo wants the Ring, but he masters himself--with difficulty--and tells Frodo to put it away. This is crucial, in my opinion. It shows again how much more strength and character a humble hobbit might have than a noble man or elf. And every time I read the part where Bilbo asks, "Don't adventures ever have an end?" it puts a little lump in my throat. I don't get that from the scene as Jackson portrayed it.

Obviously Jackson needed to show Bilbo being tempted by the Ring, but I think it was wrong of him to take away Bilbo's moment of strength. Throughout the films, Jackson takes nearly every opportunity to take a moment of strength for a hobbit and give it to a human or elf. It's mind-boggling to me why he would do that.

TMedina
Member # 6649

The hobbit strength comes from the friendship and loyalty of the halfings to each other.

And Frodo has a moment or two of personal determination - but PJ has always viewed the series as a triumph of the collective, focusing on loyalty and friendship.

As to the Council of Elrond, my favorite scene is still with Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Gellar. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If Balrogs could fly, how were the eagles able to hide Gondolin with their air defense? Wouldn't Melkor send out his Balrogs flying all over Middle Earth to find this troublesome country?

Eagles might be a match for Ringwraiths, but against a flying Balrog...

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I thought Balrogs were generals in the last war?

And don't underestimate the swooping ability of an eagle to nail a balrog from behind and clip it's wings.

-Trevor

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm very sorry that I brought up the balrog issue.

*hangs head in shame*

TMedina
Member # 6649

It's all good - at least it was on topic for the thread. More or less. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
When I think about Balrog vs. Egale, I'm reminded of that scene in Mulan where Mushu toasted the Falcon with his firey breath: Toast turkey anyone? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
See, now you have done it....you have made me break out my red book and quote....

quote:
To his amazement he found that he was no longer looking at Bilbo; a shadow seemed to have fallen between them, and and through it he found himself eying a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony groping hands. He felt a desire to strike him.
I agree that in the book Bilbo was stronger, but how else would PJ be able to emphasized the power that the Ring still had over Bilbo. I always got the feeling that Bilbo was on the verge of taking the Ring there, but that Frodo stopped him. The movie just exaggerated it ...and not really that much. Bilbo still stopped, and realized the power of the Ring.......

I found one of the things I didn't like about the movies was the infantilism of the hobbits. In the books, hobbits were every bit as brave and intelligent as huimans...perhaps more so even, as they were always at a physical disadvantage against others. In the movies they were comical relief. Merry and Pippen planned with Sam to follow Frodo, as they had figured out that something was up.....but in the movies they fell into the adventure by accident, simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They survived the Barrows and the Old Forest, although they had a lot of help, but that showed how resilient they were and how they were taking an active role in their own survival.

In the movies, they don't really ever come into their own until the last movie, and even then things had to be fabricated to show their newfound maturity. Who scaled a tower to light the beacons? I forgot that...lol....and so did Tolkien, I guess.. [Big Grin]

I understand that they couldn't show everything, and I feel that they did a great job in trying to keep the same flavor as the books....

But how much more would it have cost to have Glamdring glow in the Mines of Moria?

Kwea

PS all spellig erors r mine

[ August 04, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

If you are going to gripe about a noble race being reduced to comic relief, I'd start with the dwarves instead.

[Grumble]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.