FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Utah Billtmas Observance Sept 18th (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Utah Billtmas Observance Sept 18th
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirate Day is the 19th. We are gathering Saturday the 18th. We have declared the day Billtmas. Because of the proximity to Pirate Day, we will honor both.

A Hawiian haystack is something you put together yourself, kinda like a taco salad. The base is rice, with a chicken and sauce on top of that. Other topings include: pinapple, coconut, almond slivers, celery, onions, (and possibly others) and it is often topped with a marachino cherry.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've had something like that at various Youth Conferences. Can it also involve tortillas and chow mein noodles?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I forgot about the Chow Mein noodles! I've not seen it with tortillas, but I am open to ideas! I like variety. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
They should be called Culturally Eclectic Haystacks. [Big Grin]

[ September 11, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Big Grin]

We could throw something Italian on it too....

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the sauce like sweet and sour sauce? That would be kind of good. In addition to french bread, I'm bringing granola which has coconut and almonds in it. Maybe I could throw in some dried mangoes, to make it really tropical. It works as a snack food or as an icecream topper.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Reminds me of those luau pizzas, with pork and sweet and sour sauce. Can't say I've been brave enough to try one.

It's funny bev, I've just been on different threads from you and wondered where you had gone.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Pooka, threads from me? I have started so few these days....

I haven't been around much lately. Which is a good thing for my RL. I should probably keep it up. [Wink]

The sauce is really just a chicken gravy. Nothing special.

These are also called "Chicken Sundaes"

They include chopped pepper, shredded cheddar, diced tomatoes, and water chestnuts also. (I had to look up the recipe! [Smile] )

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*Bump*

Anybody planning on coming besides pooka and SM?

Should I cross-post on galactic cactus, or should I say that if they aren't willing to check HR every once in a while, they don't belong at a HR gathering anyway?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I would come, but I'm not going to be in Utah. I wish I could. [Frown]

hmm...the last is your decision. I have to admit I am inclined towards the second, but it's whatever you want. [Smile] Numbers isn't everything. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this over at Galactic Cactus, but I'll cross-post here as well:

Actually, what do you guys think about having it earlier in the afternoon? How about 2:00? How about noon? We could have the food for lunch instead of dinner. With so many people wanting to see our football team get beaten, maybe we should do it earlier.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

One more day...
katharina
Member # 827

One more day to revolution. We must nip it in the bud. We'll ready for these demons; they will wet themselves with blood.

Well, now I'm glad I'm not going. [Smile] That did work.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I thought the lyric was "school boys".
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, that's much better. My brain was telling me "females," but that could just be a result of recent events. [Razz]
beverly
Member # 6246

[Eek!]
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent you an e-mail asking for directions, Beverly.

Also, would you like me to bring anything? I can bring games, food, snacks, drinks, whatever. Please let me know.

JC

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There is a juicy thread at www.galacticcactus.com in the stuff forum. For some reason my browser wouldn't go to the window I tried to open.
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, the insanity of the Billtmas season is over and it's now time for Talk Like a Pirate Day resolutions. This year I resolve to wear more eyeliner and possibly get a gold tooth.

Bev and Porter threw a great party. In addition to the tropical theme, we played guesstures, had delicious baked goods and listened to Bev's labor music. I guess it's appropriate since the gathering was originally planned for labor day. While most of us didn't bring presents, I did cart away the entertainment center that B&P had labeled "FREE" on the curb. Porter helped me put it in the car.

Magson
Member # 2300

I saw that thing. It wouldn't have fit in my car, though. And I don't need one either. . . .

It was a fun outing. I'm glad I got to meet more of the "Utah Clump."

Thx to Bev and Porter for opening their home to us all!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Much fun was had by all. I discovered the joy and pleasure of pina coladas. And brought others to the joy of my "rum". Mmmm...

And I adore Porter and Bev's kids. ((((Athena, Sanford, and Ivy)))). Edit: ohh! I forgot that Ivy used Billtmas as an opportunity to take her first steps.

[ September 19, 2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

beverly
Member # 6246

It was so much fun having you guys here! It was so good to have the chance to get to know you all better. I am sorry that Amka and pajeba were not able to make it. [Frown]

Maybe next year we can have a gift exchange. We are still working on the proper observance of Billtmas. [Wink] Me likes the pinacolada and rummmmmm.

And--yes, it is true! Ivy took her very first solo steps today! The gang was all there to witness. Since we were all sitting in a circle, it may have given her that extra boost of confidence that she needed.

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a marvelous time today. [Smile] Thanks again to Mary Cate and Porter for letting us come over and for the delicious lunch (thanks to the other lunch contributors, too!). I love these get togethers! Great to see all the familiar faces and meet a new one (Magson was the only one I hadn't met yet)!

Hooray for Billtmas! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

I'm curious as to when the pictures will be posted. I'm kinda wanting to see how ridiculous I look in chainmail with a plastic sword. . . .
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.