FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was the armerican civil war really a civil war? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was the armerican civil war really a civil war?
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
As a note on Taiwan, it is NOT an independent country, they don't say they are, they don't want to be. Taiwan sees itself as a part of the same cultural China that Mainland China (PRC) but a seperate political entity, the PRC is the only one that sees Taiwan as a provence.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
As best I can tell, Taiwan would declare themselves an independent country in a second if they didn't fear it would trigger a war with China. In fact, I think the U.S. has no formal agreement to defend Taiwan to discourage them from doing that.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think it's time we all come clean. The real name of the war that was fought when the southern states seceded is the Totally Bogus War. We just tell everyone that it's the Civil War to see if they'll notice.

Curse you Khal, you foiled all our clever plans.

[ August 20, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Speed 2: Cruise Control ]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it was you Speed. It seems you are not as clever as you think, Bwuhahaha!
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bull.

It's the Civil war because of the difference of this and this.

It can be both.

If you secede it is a revolution, because the new nation you are striving for becomes a reality.

If you fail, then the new nation wasn't viable, at least not enough to survive, and it was a civil war.

The American Civil War was fought over the very right of the states to secede, and they had no legal way to quit the Union other than an amendment, which would have never passed in the North.

Unless the whole government was wiling to disolve....which they obviously weren't.

It was a civil war because the people fighting were all members of the same country, or at least started off that way.

Since the Union preserved, the Confederacy was never a sovereign nation within the US borders, despite what they claimed....or what they call it now.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag,
Most westerners think that, but it just isn't true. Taiwan depends upon the mainland for it's prosperity, their economies are tied together so tightly it'd be like removing California for the United States, whenever either side rattles sabres, the economies of both shudder, Taiwanese investors are a very major force in the economy of southeast China, declaring indepedence would cut all political and economics ties...severly crippling the richest portion of the mainland, as well as the entire island, however what Taiwan does know (or think they know...depending on who you talk to) is that to join Mainland would be the death of any and all political freedoms that they only recently (early '90s) got with the sucession of martial law from the Nationalist Party, you can almost say Taiwan's prosperity depends upon it's precarious state as a non-state state (if that makes any sense).
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Like removing California , eh ? [Big Grin]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Cybil Wahr! I love that Annie! Somehow I missed it the first time this thread was up.

You know, Hobbes thinks the world of you; I'll bet if you really tried you could overturn his veto.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Name,Katharina and AJ:
quote:
When all attempts to arrive at a formal annexation treaty [of Texas] failed, the United States Congress passed--after much debate and only a simple majority--a Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States. Under these terms, Texas would keep both its public lands and its public debt, it would have the power to divide into four additional states "of convenient size" in the future if it so desired, and it would deliver all military, postal, and customs facilities and authority to the United States government. (Neither this joint resolution or the ordinance passed by the Republic of Texas' Annexation Convention gave Texas the right to secede.)
http://www.geocities.com/rebel12th/history3.html Bolds mine.
Yes, Texas was sovereign at one time, the Republic of Texas. It surrendered it's sovreignity to become a state.
But what I find funny is their ability to divide into 4 additional states--this would gain the population of Texas 8 additional senators and allow them to dominate the senate.
It's all part of W's plan!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.