FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Respect your MOM! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Respect your MOM!
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
abuse never earns respect - it only engenders fear and anger. All mothers are not perfect, and some manage to screw up on fantastical levels with one kid while spending all the love and affection on the other. This I know for a fact. My mother should be committed. It's a plain and simple miracle that I'm not as nutty as she is, and I can only hope my sister sees the light.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Alrl, I think you need to remember that most people actively dislike, if not hate, their parents as part of growing up. It is perfectly normal and natural for a child to be resentful, and even think her mother is a bitch. If the girl was calling her mom a bitch to her face, there would be more cause for concern about disrespect. Overhearing her talk about it at school? Maybe they had a fight last night, or the daughter doesn't like how strict the mom is being, or a hundred other possible things, and she's venting about it to her friends. Maybe this is her way of rebelling. Maybe she's trying to look cool, and treats her mother with utmost respect in person.

Or maybe her mother really is a bitch. As several people have posted in various threads recently, even if the family looks okay to you from the outside, you never know quite what's going on inside. Not everyone has kind and loving parents.

Regardless, if a child hasn't learned respect by that age, or if the parent doesn't deserve respect, spanking isn't going to do a darn bit of good. I am not against all forms of corporal punishment... I can remember 3 times it was applied to me, one of which I unquestioningly deserved, one of which was a "for your own good" that did not have the effect intended, and one of which I'd argue to this day was silly, but was effective and probably seemed necessary at the time. And I think from your post that you used the "Spank his/her ass purple-red" comment mainly as a figure of speech. But it sure looks, as I have no doubt you've figured out by now, like you're advocating child abuse.

Anyway... it's quite likely that the girl you heard, if she is in a stage where she hates her parents, will grow out of it. She will mature, and she will laugh and feel kinda ashamed about how she acted at this age. Whereas if her mom reacted like you think is proper, the daughter will probably continue hating and resenting her. Rightfully so.

Teenagers have volatile reactions to things. Perhaps you should look at your reaction to what you overheard, and how people are responding to it, in that light.

[Wave] ElJay

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.