FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If a friend is in danger (from themselves) who do you contact? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If a friend is in danger (from themselves) who do you contact?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((AJ))))) You're a good friend.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I just called the Red Cross. A mutual friend who has been through similar experiences, (though not when children are a factor) is on the phone with her.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Good!
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(((((AJ))))) You're a good friend.
Ditto.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

crisis averted, for the moment.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*throws things*

So the Red Cross called me back. They can't contact the husband unless they have medical proof something is wrong, and I can't get her to go to the doctor without her husband's influence. She doesn't want to go to the doctor, because she knows how unstable she is, and is afraid that if the doc finds out how bad off she is, he will take her children away from her. They were willing to call her, but I doubt they will be able to do anything either. I need to talk to her husband before I/we have anyone outside intervene. Gahh, all of these agencies that are supposed to help are absolutely useless.

The only thing I can actually do is have the New Mexico DCFS number handy, and if I truly think she's a danger to the children, call them and tell them she's threatened them. This gets them put into foster care (which I've heard is pretty bad in New Mexico) and her clapped into a mental ward for 72 hours. And then she'd have to go through a bunch of legal rigamarole to get them back. I can't do that unless I'm *absolutely* sure she would harm them, because she'll never forgive me if they take the kids away from her.

I'm going to try to figure out how to contact her husband through the Air Force base, but I don't know if it is possible.

AJ

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the chaplain from the base nearby can find a way to contact her husband?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, AJ, you can't go through DCFS, not yet. Hopefully you can get in touch with the husband and he can talk some sense into her.

How goes it with the other stopgaps we discussed?

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Goody, I know we talked last night but in my delirious state I can't remember what the other suggestions were. Could you post them here for my faulty memory?

AJ

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Goody, I know we talked last night but in my delirious state I can't remember what the other suggestions were. Could you post them here for my faulty memory?
You said that a local church group was going to visit her and something about somebody helping take care of the kids for a few hours so she could unwind, if I recall correctly.

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh yeah, they should be there about now. drat, I don't have time to call her.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

*hopeful* Any news?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yes, things are Much Better! I still haven't gotten her to go to the doctor, but the situation isn't at the crisis level it was before. They were able to find a colic remedy (chammomille, dill and ginger) that has helped the screaming baby considerably (he's actualy sleeping!)

There is a lady that has been helping her with the kids too, and is another adult to talk to during the day. Also now if she does go to the doctor, I'm not so worried about them immediately commiting her, and taking the kids away. Her mother is now visiting.

I'm sure it is going to get bad again (5 more weeks before her husband is back) but for now there is a bit of a breather.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Yay for respite and improvement. [Smile] Hopefully, it won't get as bad as it was.

You're a really good friend, Anna Jo. *hug* She's lucky to have you in her life. [Smile]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Majorly glad to hear that things are starting to settle down a bit for her! Can we dare to hope that having adult interaction outside of immediate family is going to be enough to help her get a grip?

Goody

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.