FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Agnostic Fears (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Agnostic Fears
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I would however, be worried about extremist Christians resorting to terrorism."

Don't let Dag hear you.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal overreation-phobia is The Handmaid's Tale. (Of note is that this plot rests on a specific and marked acute decline in fertility as well as an increasingly militaristic and religiously fundamental State.)

I understand that this is paranoid fantasy. The concerns don't come for me in a suspicion that the exact same thing will happen; rather, it manifests itself as a pretty certain suspicion that were we to continue in the current vein, we would eventually require a military draft, and that would mean going through US Customs "just to protect the safety of Americans" before Canada Customs.

I think the border will be getting tighter soon - for leaving the country as well as (more understandably) for entering it. Overreaction? Yes. But I would have pooh-pooh'd The Patriot Act as a possibility myself, before it passed.

[ September 25, 2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In many people's mindsets, athiests and agnostics are just 'confused', whereas those of "seeming-Christian" faiths who teach doctrines that aren't in agreement of their own are "Dangerous DECIEVERS!"
I've read a couple of those books, and they all make, for example Mormons, out to be mislead by their leaders. As in, the leaders all know what they really support but the members don't. We'd better educate them.

The point is that I don't think Christians would be burning Mormons or anything, but if some of the really zealous took over the country and got rid of the Bill of Rights, they might make Mormonism illegal to practice. That said:

quote:
Going back to the original topic, I suspect that extremist Protestant Christianity is not organized enough to take over the country.
This is exactly right. I predict that there's never going to be enough of a central mindset within the zealots to get anything done. I had toyed with making a post that said that but I could never get it worded right. But I completely agree that Christians in America have completely lost any sense of "oneness" that they may have had and aren't going to be active in getting anything done in this country on a bigger scale than the occasional detonated abortion clinic. And I still hold that anyone blowing up an abortion clinic slips right out of the definition of Christian in my mind.

If you want to be worried about someone, be worried about the people with evil hearts that are wearing the faces of Christians. They behave in such a way as to make you afraid in exactly the way that you are, and also serve to completely destroy any trust that America may have had in it's Christians. These are the ones doing the personal hate crimes, and they make me ashamed.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
How does the Washington National Cathedral factor into this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_National_Cathedral

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's just another example of how it's not possible to go wrong pandering to a Christian electorate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I completely agree that Christians in America have completely lost any sense of "oneness" that they may have had
From my perspective, I don't see how there ever was any sense of "oneness", but that might be because me and my kind would never have been part of it anyway.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Here’s what I fear:

That people in this country will find more and more legal obstacles to acting according to their conscience, or refraining from acting in violation of their conscience.

That, as government expands into more and more areas of life, religion will be excluded from those areas by Constitutional fiat.

That certain messages considered by many to be highly morally objectionable will be continue to be propagated with taxpayer money, while the response to those messages will not only remain impaired by the funding imbalance, but also face continued legal attempts to hinder their propagation.

That the expression of faith in public forums will become unacceptable.

I’d note that none of these fears are incompatible with Dan’s. We need to find a middle way.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I would however, be worried about extremist Christians resorting to terrorism."

Don't let Dag hear you.

Or what? I'll argue with him?

Dagonee

[ September 25, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.