FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Teen Sexual Health: U.S. vs. Europe (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Teen Sexual Health: U.S. vs. Europe
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, AJ. [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Note: While celia and I have an interest in scientific facts we are not and have not claimed to be medical health professionals. We are engineers.

(So we aren't taking over your job Sara [Wink] )

But, if you have a sexual-related question that you'd like a private opinion on, Celia's better at fielding the hard biological fact questions and I'm better at fielding the possibly kinky stuff.

(lol, and those who see us post possibly would have guessed the exact opposite.)

AJ

[ October 04, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Grief, AJ, dish about sex all you want! I have no turf wars here. [Smile]

(I was just saying thanks for the homeschool info -- you went to the trouble to dig up a lot of good stuff for me to read.)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey count me in on the fielding-random-sex-questions point-guard. If it's too wild for even me, I have plenty of wild friends (see 13 year old friends on previous page). [Smile]

Might I add, AJ's kinky side is what makes her such a great AIM pal [Wink]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh, that's what you were talking about Sara. [Wink] I just wanted to make it clear that we weren't despensing "medical" advice.

The HSLDA has some schizophrenic positions to me, like I don't understand how they can possibly support the Defense of Marriage act, when they are for deregulation or minimal regulation of homeschools, and are really very libertarian in a lot of positions. It's basically the religion hangup.

In their early days when I used to read my mom's newsletters they weren't as big about sticking their nose into non relevant politics, because there were more non-fundamentalists as their [albeit paid] constituency. One of the lawyers wrote a piece on the DMA where he tried to make it make sense. And though he made a valiant effort, he just didn't quite get there to me.

However I agree that some of the rammifications from some of the UN resolutions are important, especially as treaties are binding in the US as the highest law of the land.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant by 'rough spots' is the fact that it hurts somewhat, to begin with. And those times when you or your partner accidentally fall out of the love swing backwards and end up suspended from the ceiling by your ankles. This can be awkward unless your really comfortable with someone. [Smile] [Razz]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
Oh, that's what you were talking about Sara. [Wink] I just wanted to make it clear that we weren't despensing "medical" advice.
Never even occured to me that it could be an issue. And anyway -- if you're correct, then you are correct, regardless of the degree.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a disturbing article about the trend of oral sex in middle schools. What is up(so to speak) with that?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

To preserve virginity and/or to "not have sex" ( [Roll Eyes] ) is the reason I've been given and read about.

From my institution, researchers published an article about the classic division of herpes (HPV-1=oral and HPV-2=genital) having switched.
[Frown] And exposure that transmits Herpes means exposure to potentially a lot else, too. A lot.

[It's one of the reasons I harped on making sure we did not simply equate "having sex" with "pregnancy risk" earlier in this thread. Oh, Elizabeth. So sad.]

[ October 04, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, Sara, they mentioned that about STDs. My friend's son came home and said kids are having sex in the middle school. He meant IN the middle school, not middle schoolers having it elsewhere. My baby goes to sixth grade next year!

There is a movie coming out about this topic, which was written by a girl who had been involved in some of this action. I will see if I can find the name.

(embarrassed cough) The article was in Family Circle. I read it while my hair was dyeing.

[ October 04, 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Lord have mercy.

[Frown]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*nods*

The middleschoolers have assigned seats in the cafeteria so they can't do anything during lunch. You'd think the adminstraters would catch something like that, but when there are 4 of you and 300 of them...

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of the male assistant principals at that school have left for other jobs.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a Catholic school and we started sex ed in seventh grade. And besides my parents taught us about it on their own too. I actually learned more about every subject from my folks than I did from school... up till High School.

It wasn't that they wanted us to be home schooled, but they thought that for a parent to expect the system to solely educate their children was irresponsible.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara's point is why I promoted the notion that sexual activity should be clearly defined and not left as ambiguous as "sexual activity" which gives kids the half-arsed justification for all kinds of reckless behavior without understanding the potential consequences.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
@Elizabeth

Could you have been thinking of Thirteen ? It caused a stir at the film festivals. Written by and starring Nikki Reed, now age 16.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I read a disturbing article about the trend of oral sex in middle schools. What is up(so to speak) with that?

quote:

The middleschoolers have assigned seats in the cafeteria so they can't do anything during lunch. You'd think the adminstraters would catch something like that, but when there are 4 of you and 300 of them...

I understand the concern that parents have. Obviously, no one wants junior doing anything beyond holding hands and the occasional kiss in middle school. However, isn't there a larger question of male/female socialization? This probably deserves it's own thread, but is it really going to help boys and girls grow up with an appropriate view of the opposite sex if the message they are constantly pummeled with at school is that the opposite sex is dangerous? What about the idea that they can't be trusted? That they are guilty solely because of their age?

Yeah, I know. Appropriate communication. The solution for all social ills. I guess I fear that the logical message being disseminated by the teacher or staff is going to get lost in the static of everyday communication and the example of segregation.

I'm not against segregration, a priori, but on the other hand, I also think that there are always positive and negative aspects to any behavior, and while I understand why segregating boys and girls away from the opposite sex is right in the short term, since it keeps the very few bad apples from being able to do the dirty deed, I wonder what the long term effects are going to be.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Zamphyr,
Yes! That was it. Did you see it? I believe the message was supposed to be "Don't do this!" not "This is cool."

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
SS- I don't know that they're assigned according to gender. The school had to do something, when your students are giving head in the cafeteria the parents aren't going to accept, "well, we didn't want to segregate them, so we decided to just let it happen."
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, haven't seen it yet. Its on my list of good things to rent.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
About six months ago I saw ”Thirteen” together with my 14 year old daughter (you know, I’m a European… [Wink] ).

For the purpose of this post I asked her if she could identify three major themes in the movie, and she said: “Peer pressure, a need to belong somewhere and searching for a more adult identity but overreaching. When I asked her what she thought the message of the movie was, she said: “Do what your mother tells you”, so I think we can conclude that the message to teenagers is: “Don’t do this!” [Smile]

It’s a very strong and direct movie, and teen sex is an issue, but I would say that it’s really not the main point. I agree with the themes my daughter identified, and I would also add friendship, drug abuse, unconditional love, child raising and adult relationships. To say it’s a movie about teen sex would be to overlook the greater context.

And just in case I have shocked someone by taking my daughter to see “Thirteen”: I saw this as a great opportunity to discuss important and difficult issues with her, and I would rather see it with her and have the chance to discuss it with her afterwards than having her see it unsupervised later. Does that make sense? And of course I wouldn’t have taken her to see it if I hadn’t deemed her mature enough.

To Hatrackers with daughters (and sons, perhaps, although they may not identify with the main character to the same degree) at the right age, I feel I can recommend that you try watching this movie together. Almost everything you are afraid of for your child can be discussed with basis in this movie.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Trondheim : Why are you spelling your name wrong?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Trondheim,
Do you think a high school health teacher could show this movie? Or not?

Trondheim
Member # 4990

KoM: Am I spelling my name wrong? I hadn’t realized. How should I be spelling it? Or is this a joke that I'm just not getting? [Smile]

Elizabeth: It depends on the age of the students, but I think he/she could if the communication with the students and not least with their parents is good. I guess no teacher would show the movie without watching it first, so their own judgement would be the deciding factor in any case. What I can say is that I personally wouldn’t hesitate to show it to e.g. a class of 15 year olds, but then I don’t believe that profanity or sex scenes in a movie will corrupt the audience. Others might view that differently.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I will let her know about it, and she will know what to do. She could always just suggest it to arents and students to watch together at home.
Thanks.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The city is properly spelled Trondhjem. *Sniffs in a snobbish bokmål sort of way.*
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

I wish it were so, KoM... but unfortunately I'm forced to spell it differently from the proper pronounciation.

So how come you know this? The å makes me think I'm dealing with at the least a fellow Scandinavian. Hei, in any case!

King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, it's true that the government tries to enforce Trondheim. But this is a privately owned board; I very much doubt the Mållag are going to come after you here.

To answer your other question, I'm not from Norway, I'm from Bergen. [Smile]

Trondheim
Member # 4990

And yet you are arguing on the side of the Trondhjemmers? [Wink]

I called myself Trondheim for two combined reasons: I live there and OSC saw fit to name a planet after my city. So while my native instinct may have been to write Trondhjem, common sense dictates Trondheim.

So do you call yourself King of Men because you are from Bergen? [Wink]

Sorry all for the derailment of this thread, but this calls for three cheers in my book. This is the first time I have ever encountered anyone (originally) from my country in any of the literature forums I've participated in.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU are Dr. Ruth. I'm Sue Johanson. Sheesh!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
So do you call yourself King of Men because you are from Bergen?
Nah, it's like this : I needed a nick, I was reading Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time, and I'd just gotten to the part where Walker contemplates what he can do in this world, and is saying "William Walker, King of Men. It had a nice ring to it." I found myself agreeing. Since then, I've signed up everywhere with that name, it is rarely taken by anyone else.

That said, I am a rabid Bergen patriot, and I expect a certain amount of respect and submission from my countrymen of the lesser cities. [Big Grin]

And I argue for 'hjem' because that's the way I pronounce it, and therefore obviously correct. [Wink] Ideally we'd also have a particular letter for the sharp 'r', maybe an accent?

[ October 06, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

You sure it isn't the other way around? Sue discusses more kinky sex stuff than Dr. Ruth.

Though I could see you being a Canadian at heart.

[Wink]
AJ

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.