FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flu Season? Idle Question for the Hatrack Medicos (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Flu Season? Idle Question for the Hatrack Medicos
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had the flu until I lived in the dorms at school. Lots of people + confined space + dry winter + central heating x lots of stress = great place to cultivate viruses. Last year my flu lasted the better part of a week during thanksgiving break and I had to quarantine myself from the cute baby cousins and dope out on Codeine-laced cough syrup.

I hope I can get a flu shot this year. I know there is some sort of treatment that shortens the duration of a flu, but you have to get it as soon as you show symptoms. I didn't go to the doctor until about three days into it, and it was too late.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that I should have known the info rivka posted.

*Sigh*

I used to retain much more of what I read.

But anyway -- bird poo is the problem but bird eggs are the solution? That's just weird.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Viruses are only replicated in living cells. They are noncellular themselves and so can't replicate on their own -- essentially, they are just genetic material enclosed in a protein sheath.

[Since viruses are picky about their hosts, each species will only infect certain animals. In a non-host animal, the virus cannot be replicated. So it makes sense that we'd use dividing cells from an animal that is a disease vector to replicate the virus for the vaccine.]

[ October 06, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in clarification, the reason why this British manufacturer was shut down was because something like 4 million units of the vaccine were found to be contaminated, and they could not ensure the safety of the rest from that manufacturer.

[ October 06, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

So, my friend who is staying with me is now sick. Headache, bodyaches, sore throat. She's been sick like this since she woke up this morning and has slept most of the day.

No temp yet.

o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

No flu yet reported, so that would be beyond the pale. Are you going to be there to pamper and watch over her?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. I hate the flu and still need to get my shot for the sake of the old folks. Poor dears.

And yeah. I made her sleep all day. Then made her get crackers. And drink water.

Of course, I tell her to take care of herself when I had to run out, and she flips me the bird.

I love my friends. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that healthy adults have always been told to wait. I was not intending to get the vaccine this year, but now I'm pregnant and just barely into my second trimester. Should I get the vaccine, especially in light of the shortage?
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do, I would ask to see the label and determine that the vaccine you're receiving is thimerosol free. There are both thimerosol containing and thimerosol free flu vax on the market, and the thimerosol free ones are supposed to be reserved for children under two and pregnant women.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason why entire virus particles need to be used? Why not just some proteins from the coat?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect (but am not sure) that it's simply that proteins from the coat are ineffective. Some viruses are made up of many different proteins, and your body does not react to them all. After all, some of them are common in your body as well, so you'd be in trouble if it did. And flu viruses mutate rather quickly, so they don't always exhibit the same coat proteins.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
For an antipodean view: our flu season is also winter.

However I tend to get colds over summer a lot - some of that may be the increased air travel (summer holidays encompass both christmas and the new year) and air conditioning. We don't tend to have centrally heated everything in winter like North America does - it just doesn't get cold enough. But in summer, when the temperature hits over 40 C, it's air conditioning everywhere you turn.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks imogen! Good information.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Noem, interestingly enough, the flu season in horses is in the summer, when everyone travels and brings thier horses to shows to meet up with other horses.

The human flu season was explained to me this way(though I defer of course to Sara, who is the knowlegeable one): We travel around in the summer, when the kids are all out of school. we pick up new bugs that we generally fight off. Then, when all the kids go back to school, they exchange bugs, and bring them home, and then mom and dad bring them to work.

::shrug::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara:

I wish you had been the ER doctor when my 8-year-old daughter decided to attempt to cut a popsicle stick lengthwise with a chef's knife. photo after stiches removed (She doesn't do crafty things with knives any more.)

The anesthetic shot didn't seem to be very effective as she kind of screamed with every stitch. I don't think it was entirely a matter of needing to distract her from what was going on, as the doctor implied - I honestly believe she was in pain. I should have insisted on waiting a few more minutes to make sure the anesthetic had time to work.

Nobody in my family (DH, me, kids) has ever had a flu shot, although, as a diabetic, DH would certainly fit in the high-risk category. He's kind of a scoffer about medical stuff, though.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
My free flu vaccine at work was just cancelled due to the rationing. I wasn't looking forward to getting needled anyway though...

edit for silly misspelling

[ October 07, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there supposed to be atopical cream they put on the site befoe administering a local that numbs it up and makes it less painful?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I was mostly joking.

Mostly.

[Angst]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, our company's flu vaccine was coming from that company that just got shut down.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.