FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The meanings of names of churches (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The meanings of names of churches
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The scriptures simply indicate, to us, to obstain from blood. But what happens when you start breaking blood down into miniscule parts that may or may not also come from other parts of the body, etc?
Just to clarify on Ian's clarification, several recent Watchtower's have made it clear that surgeries involving whole blood or blood in it's four primary parts (plasma, platelets, red blood cells, or white blood cells). Anything past that's a consience matter, though.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Taalcon, I guess I am. (Or if you want to be picky, PAoC. [Wink] )

My dad was a PAoC pastor, and is now a history professor at an A/G college (hence my sitting in on his class.) I'm not technically a member of any particular denomination, but I go to a PAoC church, and I definitely believe in pentecostalism. I guess that makes me a pentecostal.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I know I'm here late (thanks for the e-mail, Noemon - I was gone this weekend) and have no real reason to clarify anything more, but Ian - I just wanted to thank you for being around. You are very clear and reasonable, and always have a soft touch. I envy your style.

REPREZENT, baby. [Smile]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Da_Goat and Ralphie.

Da_Goat, you're in Prescott? I lived in Casa Grande from 2001 to 2003 (and before that in Northern AZ.) I have a few friends that (I think) moved to Prescott- I can't ever tell where one Greater Phoenix city begins and another ends.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem. I don't think Prescott's considered a Greater Phoenix city, though...we're about 100 miles away. [Smile]

Are your friends JWs, too? If so, there's a pretty good chance I know 'em. I've been living in Prescott since '91, and due to moving and territory changes, I've been flippin' through congregations like nobody's business.

[ October 19, 2004, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh. Prescott. Heh. For some reason I was associating Prescott with one of those Phoenix cities. And I went to Pioneer School in Prescott Valley in 1994. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I know quite a few people, especially from Northern AZ cicuit and in Casa Grande. In Casa Grande it was primarily Spanish, since that was the congregation I was in. But I'm sure we know many of the same people and have had the same CO's and DO's. The Cecils, the Burnsides, the Tanners, and many others. Drop me an email.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Baptists- They do not believe that baptism is required for salvation. Baptists believe that faith alone is what saves you. Baptism is important to them but it is not a key element, more symbolic than anything else. My friend said that it symbolizes your new life and devotion to Christ.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I have been frequenting religious-themed message boards for several years now, and I have detected a sizeable trend among certain brands of Christians to shy away from any mention of denominations. These same people think "religion" is a dirty word. They don't belong to a religion, sect, or denomination. I don't think many of them even understand what these words mean.

In my experience, there are a great number of people who react quite negatively to words like Religion, and I strongly believe in removing barriers that stand in the way of people's spirituality and/or relationship with God. That doesn't mean that all churches should drop those terms, nor that the use of other terms is necessarily out of shame. It simply means that we all worship in different ways and in different places.

In the end, each one of us approaches faith on our own terms, and we also gain insight and strength from finding others who share our faith, values, and beliefs, so we find ways to worship together, and those ways vary widely.

[ October 19, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.