FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It Could Always Be Worse (reprise) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It Could Always Be Worse (reprise)
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, that's rough. I'm an only child and I would totally flip out if someone invaded my space like that.

You need some new shoes.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Actually, I totally do! And since one of my big toes got hurt in the ah, altercation, I particularly do today.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and I always ended up wrestling. I got her pinned every single time.

But she'd never, ever say uncle. Usually she'd yell, "I'll DIE before I say it!" and flip me off.

Not that swearing, rude gestures, and stubborness is genetic or anything.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nah, you were just raised wrong. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Go get the lock. And make it a deadbolt, because if I were her after this I would slip a normal lock with a credit card just to show you you didn't "win" and I could stil use the computer if I wanted to.

Um, not that I'm admitted to being that petty in regards to my siblings or anything.

Oh, and get the shoes, too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a solid colored shower curtain. My sister had a propensity not to lock the bathroom door. We had lots of big cups in which to put cold water.

And chuck over the side.

[ROFL]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sigh* I'm fairly certain she has no idea how to open a lock with a credit card. And I don't want to have to drill holes in the door. But I'll think about it.

Ain't sisterly luv great? [Razz]

mackillian
Member # 586

Hmmm.

Another time, I got the duty to wrap my sister's christmas gifts. My sister has an uncanny "shake" knack where just from a shake, she can figure out what the gift is.

I hated that.

So I borrowed all my mothers random tins and separated and shoved my sister's gifts in those.

Then duct taped them.

And then wrapped them.

My sister went to test them. Ran out to confront me. I told her what I'd done.

My mother was right there. She laughed and left the room. My sister them promptly flipped me off and stormed out. [Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.

My brother had the habit of unwrapping and then rewrapping presents, the little sneak.

So, on Christmas Eve after he had looked and snuck off to bed, I unwrapped most carefully the presents, removed the gifts, and rewrapped the empty boxes. [Big Grin]

(I wonder if this is why he dislikes me . . . )

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

BRILLIANT!
Shan
Member # 4550

Thank you, thank you [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sigh*

I should be feeling less stressed and less crowded.

My sister had her surgery last Thursday, and has a ticket to leave on the 14th. Looks like she will even be recovered enough to do so. [Smile] Moreover, she has been working very hard at being both human and helpful. (I need to tell her again that I appreciate that.)

And my brother, SIL, and niece have moved into their apartment . . . BUT, SIL and niece keep coming over here for large chunks of the day.

Why is this a problem? Niece is 2.5, and is often allowed to wander unsupervised -- not for long, but it doesn't TAKE long, for her to:
  • get into my son's brand new toy, and scatter the pieces everywhere, including where I stepped on some
  • dump out another toy that I seem to end up picking up everytime they have been here
  • have tantrums, frequently (now, she's 2.5, so this is normal, but -- and I feel very selfish for saying this -- I cannot deal with someone else's kid's screaming now)
  • take food that is sitting out on the table for my kids
  • etc.
I got upset quite on Thursday, when I got home from a VERY long day (two wisdom teeth extracted, among other fun things) to discover that the house that had been all picked up when I was there at noon now had toys scattered all over (some of which I stepped on) and dishes and garbage (not much, but annoying nonetheless) on the had-been-clean kitchen counter. I also thought that my son's brand new toy had had pieces broken (turns out they were not). I asked my mom to request that my SIL not be here with the niece without someone else here. (Which got my brother all worked up, but such is life.)
So today, I got home to discover that she and my sister were letting the niece run loose, where she had gotten into my son's leftovers (which he had been planning to eat later), and then was sitting in the middle of the kitchen screaming.

*cry* Look, I have HAD a 2.5-year-old, and wanted adult company. And I get that we have more-convenient laundry machines (that don't need quarters) here. But I cannot TAKE this anymore -- and I am sick of being made to feel like a b**** when I object.

mackillian
Member # 586

[Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wall Bash] So I went downstairs, to have supper, and specifically tried to say something to my sister . . . who had hysterics at me, because I got my niece upset before. Apparently, she is convinced I don't like her. [Frown] Well, I'm none too happy with the fact that she's being allowed to run loose in houses that are not hers (it's absolutely reasonable, in her own home, but not here, where there are other people's things everywhere, especially since my son is currently sleeping in the living-room, so as not to have to deal with stairs), but I happen to like the kid.

So now I'm supposed to feel guilty (I do a bit, but mostly I'm angry at being put in this position) about objecting to feeling repeatedly invaded in what is currently my home. My SIL could go home after this afternoon -- I am home!

I hate this. I really, really, really hate this. And I'm STILL note done with my grades for the past trimester -- although I am getting close.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Many hugs. You have so many stresses all at the same time right now! I for one don't blame you for being annoyed with your sister. Frankly, I'm not surprised she doesn't understand why - parents who don't control their children usually don't understand why others would have complaints about their lack of parenting. Sorry I don't have any solutions here, but I'm a sympathetic ear if you need one.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks. [Smile]

Just to clarify, the person hissing at me was my sister -- my SIL just seemed taken aback (and was long gone by the time I went down to supper).

[ December 06, 2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

[Frown]

I'm lucky at the moment - my brother and sister are too young to cause any major problems and Tony's brother, sister and brother-in-law are all overseas.

We still manage to get inter-continental dramas, but I'm sure they would be worse if we were all in the same country - let alone house!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Won't you be glad to get your own place, where no one else has a key and can't come in unless you let them in?

However, in the spirit of the thread, you're right, it could be worse. You could live in my house. What a nightmare. It's actually so bad, I told my husband he could send a tape into Extreme Home Makeover.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*grin* But I bet they're all coming in for the wedding, neh? [Wink]
imogen
Member # 5485

Rivka - yes, yes they are.

*twitch*

I am sure they will behave. I am sure everyone will behave...

*twitch*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Extreme Home Makeover - liposuction for houses?
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle*
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You've never seen Extreme Home Makeover?!? Oh my gosh. It's the most pathetically sappy show I've ever seen. A sob fest on a weekly basis. They take some poor pathetic family who has some extrodianary circumstances (Like a guy and his wife and 4 kids who adopted his 5 brothers and sisters afer his parents died, or the family who bought a fixer upper house, got started and their daughter was diagnosed with cancer and all their time and money went to keeping her alive and the house is falling down, or the woman who adopted two kids, finally saved up enough money to renovate her house so she didn't have to sleep on the couch anymore (after 12 years) and the contracter took her money, gutted her house and disappeared.) They end up leveling most of the houses, and rebuilding them with huge rooms and the most outrageous appliances, pools, plasma TVs, computers, I mean, they must spend around a half million bucks to redo these homes in a week.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Kayla, she's in Oz -- their TV shows have yet to become quite as wacky as ours.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((rivka))))) Haven't the child's parents heard of a little thing called discipline? As a child, I was taught to repect other people's belongings.

You have a right to expect her parents to keep an eye on her. I don't think you're even close to being a b****.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Nope, we don't have it here yet.

Sounds like I'd like it though - I'm a sucker for the sappy "we'll help you out" tear jerker renovation shows. Here they tend to be lower key though - people get a new backyard. Or a couple of rooms renovated.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll trade you all the U.S. renovation shows for more McLeod's Daughters.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sigh* She's their only child, and their ideas about discipline are very different from mine. It's not that she doesn't get in trouble for these things -- she does. It's that they seem to expect a 2.5 year old to predict consequences to a degree that is unrealistic, IMO. Instead of staying with her (which I know full well is exhausting, but it's part of parenting a small child!), they expect her to remember she can't touch stuff.

And if she doesn't, they chide her, but then also say things like, "well, she's only 2.5, what do you expect?" [Roll Eyes]

I don't think I did any better when I had my first, necessarily. But that doesn't mean I want to deal with their parenting choices all the time, either. They may parent as they wish -- in their own home, where it doesn't keep affecting me.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That is annoying. One of my pet peeves is the father who always has his 1.5 year old daughter at church and never watches her. She does things that are age appropriate but not acceptable (like taking toys out of other kids' hands, poking babies, etc.), and even dangerous (like repeatedly going straight for the lamp cord and socket in the foyer). I always seem to be the one who catches her and has to try to stop her before a situation develops. (Her mother is very ill and doesn't come to church.) Luckily for everyone else (and the child herself), I don't have a problem taking things away, grabbing her, or doing whatever is necessary to keep her and others safe, then picking her up and taking her (screaming, of course) to her father, but when I explain, he gets huffy with me... Why can't you just watch your child, dude? Then this wouldn't happen!!!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I'm so sorry. You have had it unbearably rough, and you have not been at all out of line.

(((rivka)))

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

[Frown]

(((rivka)))

You're a strong woman with clear boundaries, m'dear - and as I know from personal experience, nothing infuriates people without boundaries more than people with boundaries . . .

Hang in there - keep your sense of humor handy, and remember - you probably have at least two dozen temporary abodes scattered throughout the entire world of Hatrackeria . . . so, if nothing else, you can at least envision living there and either a) counting your blessings or b) having dreams of living in la-la land . . . [Wink]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, rivka. That is both draining and annoying.

I don't know what you can do except send SIL a bill for the things your neice breaks.

Which probably isn't very practical, I know.

Hang in there.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
((rivka))

Have you looked into government assisted housing? I don't know how it is where you live, but my step sister's place in Ohio is nice. She's a single mom so she gets a big discount on the rent, but it's still a decent place.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

rivka, how annoying for you!

I know what it feels like to have people think you're a witch because you expect people to make their children behave reasonably in public (or in your home).

Honestly, I'd probably take the Southern approach and ask my SIL repeatedly if the baby is okay - until she got the message and kept an eye on the baby. I've had good results with that and it keeps the adults in the situation from getting hostile.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, Mrs. M, that's a good idea. Can I use that, too?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Be my guest. I can vouch for the results.

Also, if children are running around wild in a restaurant or store, stop them and ask them loudly if they're lost. Odds are their parents will hear you and come get them.

I know it's passive-aggressive, but parents have a hard time accepting any kind of parenting criticism or advice. This way, you can prevent the child from being careless and/or destructive, without drawing the parents' wrath.

rivka
Member # 4859

kq, exactly!

Sara, thanks. I needed to hear that. [Smile]

quote:
You're a strong woman with clear boundaries, m'dear - and as I know from personal experience, nothing infuriates people without boundaries more than people with boundaries . . .

*lightbulb moment* Ah! Ok, framing it that way helps a lot.
quote:
Hang in there - keep your sense of humor handy, and remember - you probably have at least two dozen temporary abodes scattered throughout the entire world of Hatrackeria . . . so, if nothing else, you can at least envision living there and either a) counting your blessings or b) having dreams of living in la-la land . . .
[Big Grin] Cooool!

Dags, the things that get broken, etc. are mostly inexpensive -- they're significant because they are a needed piece of a kit, or just because they belong to one of my kids. Besides, I'm not sure how my SIL and brother feel about me right now, but that would almost certainly make things ugly.

quote:
Have you looked into government assisted housing? I don't know how it is where you live, but my step sister's place in Ohio is nice. She's a single mom so she gets a big discount on the rent, but it's still a decent place.
Thanks for the suggestion, AR. I have a decent job -- the idea of us living here this year is to help me save up some money and because as of mid-January, my parents will be out of town. So moving out -- even if I did qualify for government assistance -- is not really an option.

Mrs.M, I tried similar tactics, when they were still living here. It worked for about 15 minutes at a time . . . maximum. [Razz]

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. [Smile] Today my sister babysat my niece -- NOT here. So at least I seem to be sort of getting through.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dags, the things that get broken, etc. are mostly inexpensive -- they're significant because they are a needed piece of a kit, or just because they belong to one of my kids. Besides, I'm not sure how my SIL and brother feel about me right now, but that would almost certainly make things ugly.
I knew it wasn't practical. But imagining it in your head might help. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* Ok, that it definitely might! [Big Grin]
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just treasure hunting and came upon this thread. Unsupervised toddlers in other peoples houses are at greater risk for poisoning accidents/death, so it is possible to bring that up. My niece at my mother's house would run into things like flux paste and super glue. I think that happened on Thanksgiving and Christmas of the same year.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I was surprised to see this bumped to the top. But since it has been, a brief update:

My parents left a week ago. The house is much quieter and emptier . . . and I have to do all the cooking and shopping. So it's a mixed bag. But mostly it's going well. [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.