FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How STUPID is Bush? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How STUPID is Bush?
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, love the NZ accent.

Flammable is first recorded in the early 18th century, at least according to OED. Unfortunately the Shorter just lists dates not citations.

Michael Quinion at the World Wide Words Index seems to believe that flammable was actually the earlier form, and the language reverted to its use, but he makes no citation. He may potentially mean that in modern times we reverted to the form flammable which dates to the 19th century and fell into disuse, but I'm not sure. I've already got 2-3 unanswered items I've sent to him, so I doubt he'll answer this, but maybe I'll submit it.

At any rate, it's not a neologism, but an older form in increased usage.

Note that one of the key founding principles of the OED is to be descriptive not proscriptive, recording usage rather than shaping it. So it can be difficult to determine any history of preferred usage via the OED alone, and the really good reference books are like $200US each. I have them in my Amazon wish list in case I ever win the Wish List Shopping Spree, but...

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, apparently both forms occurred in Latin, very interesting.

I love this stuff.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely don't think Bush is stupid. However, as he likes to hold up his willful ignorance of the nuances of issues in favor of executive summaries by his aides as a strength, I'm not inclined to consider him well informed.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are you judging his intellect based on his public speaches?
Compare Clinton to Bush.

Clinton is an EXCELLENT public speaker,
he is also a rhode scholar and a Genius.

Bush is a bad public speaker,
and his theories and ideas
don't help the world much.

He ain't a genius,
or a visionary,
he is not stupid.

George W. Bush is George W. Bush.

Wrong or right,
he is what he is...

time will tell what he is.

<<<THOR>>>

He is not, nor is he near,
Jesus Christ.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Terribly sorry for the hatred I represented in the post.

As for the definite article, I as half asleep at 3AM my time.

I would have made a logical issue but that would take up some several pages to write properly.

Jonathan Howard (Aussie Vs New-Zeeeeelander.)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, I sense a sheep joke coming on
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Federal Government
Member # 6807

- posted      Profile for The Federal Government           Edit/Delete Post 
He leaves the toilet seat up, and he forgets to flush. I have to sent Secret Service men in after him all the time. It's annoying.

Plus, he pees on the walls and laughs about it. And he can't even spell.

TFG

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he may not be stupid, but he sure is ignorant.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the usage note on the dictionary.com site mentions the word enflame. It appears that no such word exists, at least in English. It was probably a typo.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was inflame myself but wasn't gonna argue with the dictionary. Milgram and all that you know.

I've probably used the two words myself with a nuance that no one else ever cared about or got.

Flammable (A.J. lexicon) means, yeah it'll burn if you toss a match on it maybe if there's enough of it you'll have some excitement.

Inflammable (A.J. lexicon) means that the instant anyone *thinks* of tossing a cigarette butt on it the entire thing will take off in a roaring inferno! Four alarm fire at least.

AJ

[ October 22, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fammable
I like that word. It truly should be a word.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
dagnabit I edited that as soon as I saw it!
[Razz]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I know...but I still like it. Fammable looks extremely cool and sounds like a "good/positive" sounding word.

Like a "You are so fammable" as an admiration type thing.

I'm not meaning to poke fun, just that when I saw it, it really looked like a word.

EDIT: and we al now abot how wil I kan spel sew dont wery abot it. (I'm a butcher when it comes to english, so I have no room to talk.)

[ October 22, 2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you searched all of the internets?
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, only the one Gore invented.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

The one I invented is much better.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Merriam-Webster lists enflame as a variant of inflame. I'll check OED tonight. Too heavy to carry with me. [Smile]
CStroman
Member # 6872

That Merriam Webster...she thinks she's so smart because she knows alot of words..... [Grumble]
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
o_O

Pat, that's not you, is it?

Nope. Pat willed this name to someone else quite a while ago.
quote:
The point I was trying to make is that there are more reliable things to base a judgement on than the way someone talks, or pronounces or mispronounces words.
Exactly. Different dialect ≠ stupid. People who claim that Bush is stupid because of how he talks need to take a few classes in linguistics.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
People don't say he's stupid because of his accent. They say he's stupid because he's amazingly uninformed (considering he's the President) and because he says a lot of realy stupid things. Obviously he doesn't intend to, but it makes him sound like an idiot sometimes.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.