FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Perhaps This Will Stir the Emotions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Perhaps This Will Stir the Emotions
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am not trying to prove that Britain was the greatest nation in the world. I was pointing out that the US was most definitely NOT the greatest nation in the world. Britain had their own problems, as did other nations. The US did not gain a dominant status in the world until well after the first World War.
I was simply trying to add an element that is too often left out of discussions about relative human rights records. While England was granting suffrage, they were also carrying out campaigns of oppression in their colonies.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Some days I covet TomD's brain. I bet it smells really spicey.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi JT I am new too, its funny to see these people nit pick the exact words of your quote and who wrote it, never looking at the sentiment you are showing
The newbies! I'm telling you, they're organized.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man Sara, when you said that the final weeks of your medical training left you feeling like a zombie, I just assumed you were using hyperbole!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you have spicey brains, too, Noemon. All those scintillating sciencey links.

[Smile]

[Smile]

[Smile]

Sayyy ... is that a fly stuck in your hair? COme a little closer and let me take care of that for you ... [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::runs screaming in terror, then trips just like people always do when fleeing from zombies::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
In politics, we often hear about constituents who bribe politicians with money and gifts and are then rewarded with legislative favors. In my estimation, the opposite is often true. Politicians bribe their constituents with money and gifts, and are rewarded with votes.

This happens on both sides of the aisle. Republicans usually bribe the populace through tax cuts, and Democrats usually do it through entitlement programs which are usually inefficient.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat,
It probably has something to do with them all being associated with the military. Or some of their other commonalities.

---

Affluence breeds a distaste for discomfort and affords a buffer from reality so that people's poorly considered beliefs and actions don't result in clearly bad effects. You don't have to go back to Athens for this. Tulipmania provides a better example.

Democracy isn't anywhere near as affected by entitlement programs as it is by America's amazing economic prosperity. People didn't go into a huge tizzy a few years ago when Amazon.com went down because of DOS attacks because of welfare. They did it because the environment has allowed them to have an underdeveloped sense of what's significant.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kat,
It probably has something to do with them all being associated with the military. Or some of their other commonalities.

Maybe they're chickens.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.