FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music Confessions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Music Confessions
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Gordon Lightfoot rocks hard.
2. No one has made the obvious Peppers statement, unless I missed it. They used to rock, and now they suck. Simple enough. Their version of "Love Rollercoaster" is one of my favorites.
3. I can't get through a day without listening to Shakira. My daughter stepped on and broke my CD, and after trying in vain to go without it for a while, I downloaded it with BitTorrent. It's the first illegal music download I've made in years. I thought I had grown beyond it. >_< I have got to get some of that woman's older music, from when she was a brunette.
4. I own more of Dan Fogelberg's CD's than anyone elses, unless you count my old Monkees music that I rarely listen to anymore.
5. I really like funk, which surprises the heck out of me. Ever heard Maxwell's version of "Closer"? "I wanna loooove you like an animal..." I would appreciate some suggestions for some music to check out in this area.

quote:
-I don't really like bass very much.
Now THAT'S a confession.

[ November 15, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that country music tunes espousing adultery, alcoholism, and vigilanteism are MUCH more catchy that pop/rock/rap songs on similar themes.

I mean, 'What Happens in Mexico, Stays in Mexico' is just really. . . catchy. So is 'Whisky for My Men, Beer for My Horses,' and 'Big Red.'

Alas.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there's a country section!

20. Whiskey Lullaby is not bad. Very poignant.

Edited: Ugh. Spoke too soon. I don't like the duet.

[ November 15, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Which part didn't you like? Allison Krauss?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't like them together. I like both parts, just not the duet. I'm not sure why.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I like Avril and Ashlee [Blushing]

Can't stand Allison Krauss even though I loved her in "O Brother" and that makes me sad. I want to like her!

Dixie Chicks

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

21. Butch Walker - Mixtape. Hm. I like it. [Smile] I like the lead singer's voice.

Added: Is there a cultural meme about the car wash that I'm missing? There's a surprising number of songs that mention the car wash, meeting at the car wash, using the car wash as a metaphor, hanging out at the car wash. It's like musical study of dry cleaners. Is there a reason for this?

[ November 15, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

SHeDAISY's Come Home Soon is nice, though I don't really like their other stuff. Rascal Flatts is great, although LAUNCH doesn't seem to have I'm Moving On in the videos section, that's a great song. Oh, and Joe Nichols Cool to be a Fool.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like Whiskey Lullabye -- especially the duet, as it happens. I just worry about playing a song about two suicides when my kids are in the car. >_<
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Yeah, most country is safe, unless you happen upon something like that, or maybe Big and Rich.
rivka
Member # 4859

*dryly* You mean like Save a Horse . . . ?

Actually, there's at least half a dozen country songs that the local station plays that make me switch stations when my kids are in the car.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite album is B.B. Kings, Deuces Wild. It is a collection of performances with other artists like Van Morrison, Joe Cocker, Mick Jagger and a lot of others.
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
katharina, if you get a chance, check out "Under the Bridge" by RHCP.

And PSI, I think you're wrong. They don't suck now, and really, they don't rock too much less. They're just more prone to release their softer stuff as singles since "Under the Bridge" and "Otherside" became such commercial successes and they lost their socks. That's my opinion, anyway.

[ November 15, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Okay, so there's a few. [Wink]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

My favorite modern country song - actually, the only modern country song I like - is about killing one's husband. Awww yeah.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Earl's made a lot of converts.

[ November 15, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Goatee: I haven't listened to anything beyond the singles they have released. But they can't rock *much* less than what I'm used to because I have a very high threshold of rocking. Except for Fogelberg and Lightfoot, who got grandfathered into rocking classification.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I only like Goodbye Earl for the video. A dancing Dennis Franz zombie is not to be missed.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I never saw the video. The only time I remember watching CMT was a "shocking things in country" thing, 'cause I love learning pointless trivia.
TheTick
Member # 2883

I don't normally watch, but I recently saw the top 20 'Road Songs' special, which was cool. Oh, and the making of the 'Trip Around the Sun' video, since I'm a huge Jimmy Buffett fan. [Big Grin]

/me kills thread. sorry kat.

[ November 15, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No ones mentioned Willie Nelson singing some of the old big band crooner stuff . . . c'mon people, I KNOW I'm not the only one that likes his rendition of "Georgia" . . . am I? [Blushing]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Nope. Willie rocks.
katharina
Member # 827

22. I LOVE Reba McEntire. I love her voice, I love most of her songs, I love the humor in her voice, I love her sitcom when I watch it (Divorced woman in Houston with an accent and heartbreak in her eyes - she's my aunts!), and I love the red hair.

[ November 16, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
The only country concert I've ever attended was Reba. She's really good. (She's also related to one of my uncles somehow.) Brooks and Dunn opened the show; I didn't like them so much.

...and as long as we're confessing, I have to confess that, while I don't much love his politics, I really like Toby Keith's music. And some of his videos are just so funny.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I like Evanescence. I have even listened to "Hello" about a million times to learn the piano part.
2. I like a variety of stuff from Metallica to Enya.
3. I like Oldies. (Beatles, Monkees, Simon and Grafunkle, etc.)
4. I hate Boy Bands.
5. I hate Techno.
6. I hate Country. (and I live in the south)
7. I hate Jazz.
8. I hate Ashlee Simpson.
9. I hate Britney.
10. I like Toxic. *hangs head in shame*
11. I listen to the Beach Boys when I mow the lawn, because they're the only thing I can hear over the noise. (I suppose it's because they're high-pitched)
12. I enjoy singing 15th century acappella pieces. Especially ones by Orlando Gibbons.
13. I like celtic music.

(ok, I have strange music tastes..)

quote:
Ricky Martin. "She Bangs."

It's just... catchy. Or something.

Is anyone else reminded of that guy from American Idol? [Angst]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Watching Reba made Shania Twain's video for I'm Gonna Getcha Good to come on. My stars, WHAT is that video? It's LOTR crossed with Tron and the Iron Giant.

Catchy song, though.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Toxic IS really catchy.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

That Shania video is just wacky. Anything to get her made up in an off the wall outfit, I guess.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
5. I hate Techno.
9. I hate Britney.
10. I like Toxic. *hangs head in shame*

Hmm... Well, I have a hard time seeing how that's possible, but, okay, if you say so.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathy Mattea has some really good stuff.

[ November 16, 2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Wow. I just heard Eminem's "Lose Yourself". He's really amazing.

And I like the video. I love Detroit.

[ November 16, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

kazwailah
Member # 6711

- posted      Profile for kazwailah   Email kazwailah         Edit/Delete Post 
1 - I like twangy music. If any of you knew me you'd realize what a confession that is.
2 - Despite my admitted taste for twangy music, I can't get in to mainstream country music.
3 - For me, listening to Gwen Stefanni's voice is like getting my teeth drilled. Without novacaine.
4 - I saw the Chili Peppers in San Francisco a few weeks ago, and despite sounding fine on record Anthony Kedis doesn't sing so well live. It's not that he can't sing, I just think that in a live situation he's a lazy singer. He couldn't hold a note in a bucket.
5 - Despite my natural aversion to Tecno-pop, I can't stop listening to The Postal Service. [Evil Laugh]
6 - Red Headed Stranger by Willie Nelson is one of the greatest albums ever, that's saying a lot considering I don't like concept albums.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really? For the first time? It seems like that song's been around forever and a day, but that might just be me. I actually really like Eminem, and even borrowed 8 Mile off a friend so I could see more. I like his lyrics and sometimes even his musicality, which is pretty good, I think.

Oh, and I should mention that I finally got Ricky Martin out of my head. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? For the first time?

In some ways, I live a very sheltered life. Yeah, that was the first time I heard it in its entirety. I'd heard snatches of it some places, when the ads forthe movie came out. I used to live right next to 8 Mile, and I do sort of want to see that movie. The Detroit I knew was very different from that scene, though.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, does anyone not like Evanescence? I can't remember anyone ever saying they didn't.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
"Lose Yourself" is one of his best works. That, and "The Real Slim Shady," which is such superb satire!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like Evanescence. I find them vaguely annoying. Most of that comes from the fact that I've not really heard much of their work, but I can stomach the occasional "Bring Me to Life," I guess. If I have to. And if there's no Ricky Martin. [Wink]

Though I have gone on a No Doubt kick recently, thanks to this thread.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Shania Twain's video for I'm Gonna Getcha Good to come on. My stars, WHAT is that video? It's LOTR crossed with Tron and the Iron Giant.

Catchy song, though.

It's a great song -- lot's of fun. But you're right, that is one seriously BIZARRE video. And what does it have to do with getting anyone? She doesn't get caught!

I liked the helmet-thing, though. NOT her hair that color. *shudder*

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina, that movie will knock your eyes out!
The cussing. Every second it's f word this and f word that.
But, it is a good movie despite that. I like the theme of it. A young man trying to make his dreams come true.
There is also a lot of people beating each other up.

I wish Celine Dion would go away. Her version of At Last is beastly.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

24. I'm listening to RHCP's By The Way. I kind of like it. I like the contrast between the styles within, and I like the lead singer's voice. I don't love it, but it's much better than the other one I heard.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get the sound to work on the music videos through yahoo. Does anyone know why that might be?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't Kara, I'm sorry. It worked when I tried it.

25. Wow!! Damien Rice - Blower's Daughter (Movie Version). Boring video, but what a beautiful, beautiful song. [Smile]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
26. I really like Britney's new song - the one that sounds a little like Toxic. Can't link - right-click currently does not work. I think it's called Do Somethin'. This probably belongs in the feeling guilty column, but I like it.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien Rice is supa-fly sexy, Kat.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(I like Ace of Base.) [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
25. Wow!! Damien Rice - Blower's Daughter (Movie Version). Boring video, but what a beautiful, beautiful song.
I haven't seen the video, but I agree with you about the song. [Smile] You might also want to check out "Cannonball" and "Older Chests" if you don't know them already.

And I'm listening to Evanescence - "Hello" thanks to Hatrack! [Hat]

(ketchupqueen, I haven't really listened to Ace of Base for quite some time, but at one moment I really liked them too... [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
27. Oooo...Hoobestank - The Reason. I love that!

I realize that most of these songs have been on the radio for months, but I don't listen to the radio, so it's exciting for me.

Ralphie, I'm off to hunt up pictures of Damien Rice, although just his voice would probably win me over.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ- I LOVE Ace of Base! I got The Sign album on tape when I was 13 and haven't stopped listening to it since!

The "Dragostea Din Tei" craze revived my crazy eurotechno addiction and I made a new mix CD that I've been listening to ever since. It's mostly international, with a few funky American songs that I need an excuse to listen to. Here is what I put on there:

Dragostea Din Tei - O-Zone
Around the World (La la la la La) - A Touch of Class
Hey Ya! (Radio Mix) - OutKast
Voulez-Vous Danser - Ace of Base
Let's Get It Started (Spike Mix) - Black Eyed Peas
Gotta Get Thru This (D'n'D Radio Edit) - Daniel Bedingfield
Le Raï C'est Chic - Cheb Mami feat. Sting
Call On Me (Radio Edit) - Eric Prydz
Enjoy the Silence (Reinterpreted) - Depeche Mode
Oran Marseille - Khaled feat. IAM
Surrender - Lasgo
With or Without You - Grits
Aaja Nachle - Hans Raj Hans
La tribu de Dana - Manau
Pauvre de nous - Massilia Sound System
Olurum Sana - Tarkan
Tomber La Chemise - Zebda
Chunari Chunari - Abhijeet and Anuradha Shriram
Hot Stuff - Donna Summer

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I hate the Beatles. Can't stand them. [Blushing]
2. I'm a metal chick.
3. I think that Ozzy's kinda cute...
4. I HATE country. Hate it almost as much as I hate the Beatles.
5. I'll listen to almost anything. From GnR to Amanda Marshall.
6. Does anybody else see the resemblence between early Britney Spears (Oops I did it again) ad Emma Watson?

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie! I have some Tarken music from when I was bellydancing, I love it!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.