FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Liz is up and thankful (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Liz is up and thankful
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Until you added the edit Noemon, I was really beginning to wonder. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm so glad you're feeling better Liz and out of hospital.

*gentle hug*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz,

I'm so glad that you are improving. I'm still sending my most positive vibes your way.

BTW, I suggest that autoimmune is the rallying cry of those that walk where they need to go. These folks can always snicker when they walk past a broken down vehicle and say "Ahh tow immune am I"

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
LIZ! [Big Grin]

Yay for being out of the hospital! Yay for having computer access! Yay for being up and about! [The Wave]

(the only problem is that you got back here so quick I haven't had a chance to send you a card yet! [Blushing] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welocome back Liz! Nice to hear you are doing much netter, jenni and I were worried about you.

Where should we send the cards we bought for you? They have been sitting on the counter for 4 days now... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor have I rivka.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!!!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, I missed this. Liz I'm so glad to hear you're all right. What is ADEM and how does one get it?

So where are you staying? And are you allowed to have visitors?

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
YEAY! *runs in circles*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hope the old address is still right because I mailed something today before she posted. [Wave]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, this news is so good that I'm going to do the wave again.

[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all! Unfrtunately, my aversion to smilies just sent me back into a terrible tailspin. I will have to remain in my rom with the Oops-I Crapped-My Pants woman for the rest of the day now. Ha ha.

I can't believe how callous a group can be to actually start making PUNS the first moment I am back. I thought I was pretty ADEMent about how seriously I would be taking life now. Really, pun team, couldn't you have a little patients?

Dag, I LOVE my book, and it is giving me some great down time. I can read again which is HUGE, and my dad got me "Angels and Demons" which I enjoy greatly. I will be needing a series suggestion in a day or two. Someone suggested Rhapsody??

Thank you again for the warm welcome. As far as what ADEM is, they are also calling it Guiallaume Barre or something. Maybe Sara knows more about t. It is something which attacked my nervous system like encephalitis and menengitis.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea'
I am at:

Spaulding Rehabilitation Program at Park View Specialty Hospital
1400 State St
Springfield, MA 01109

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a medical program with some good information. I can email it liz if you were interested. Here's the general scoop:

Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis — Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) is classically described as a uniphasic syndrome occurring in association with an immunization or vaccination (postvaccination encephalomyelitis) or systemic viral infection (parainfectious encephalomyelitis). Pathologically, there is perivascular inflammation, edema, and demyelination within the CNS. Clinically patients present with the rapid development of focal or multifocal neurologic dysfunction.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Elizabeth, I am so happy you got through this all!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - like we understood all that Theca?

Actually, I had a good friend that had this type of enchephalitis (?) a few years back.

Liz -- I am very very happy to see you here again. How long will you be at the rehab place, or do you not know yet?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I thought I was pretty ADEMent about how seriously I would be taking life now. Really, pun team, couldn't you have a little patients?
This makes me so happy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clinically patients present with the rapid development of focal or multifocal neurologic dysfunction.
That's what was wrong with her eyes?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
erm, did you get what I sent you?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
see, I was going to listen to Kayla's advice and not send something right away. But I can still send you a card, even though you're posting, right?

[Roll Eyes] at Liz for getting better so soon

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This might help on what ADEM is in more layman's terms.

http://www.neuroland.com/ms/adem.htm

quote:
In patients who survive, the neurologic signs usually improve considerably, with about 90% having complete recovery.
So since Elizabeth survived I guess it sounds like things are looking up. It doesn't say how often people *don't* survive though.

AJ http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/acute_encephalomyelitis/acute_encephalomyelitis.htm]W eb Page on ADEM

[ December 05, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Liz, think of it this way: you never have to get a flu shot again!

((((hugs)))) Seriously, though, I'm glad you're feeling better. Prayers and wishes that you will continue to mend.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, I don't have a single pun to offer you, just a sincere welcome back. [Smile]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thank you Banna.

I've got that sinking, creepy feeling that accompanies the relief that someone is okay, but that was really close.

*sends a ton of hugs Liz's way*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Liz are you still going to be at the rehab place for a month? (I'm contemplating sending you something that according to the internet will take 7-10 days to arrive and I need to know when the window will close.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok Elizabeth, Farmgirl and I just went in together to send you something. However since I ordered it through Sams's Club, it didn't allow me to send a message along with it which is why I'm notifying you here. I sent it to you at the hospital address. So you should get it in 7-10 days.

Keep in mind that we took your "not into morbid flower arrangments" request quite seriously.

[Big Grin] [Monkeys] [Wink]

AJ

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, we're gonna need pictures of that one. [Big Grin]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Please tell me it doesn't involve daisies.

-Trevor

Edit: And this is morbid enough to be funny. Pushinup Daisies

[ December 03, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

no daisies. Considered bonsai briefly though.

AJ

TMedina
Member # 6649

If I wasn't so completely broke, a local florist does a wonderfully tacky flower arrangement with mylar balloons and a large yellow smilie face vase.

Bright like "see this from two miles out" kinda bright.

-Trevor

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
So will cards sent to the original address still get to you eventually?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY FOR NOT BEING DEAD! YAY FOR NOT BEING A ZOMBIE!!!

But seriously, I'm glad you feel better. I'd make puns, but mine are so terrible that I've been Barre'd from making them anymore. [Frown]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus,
Yes and THANK YOU! That was so sweet. I have him sitting on top of my chair and he makes everyone laugh.

The doctor came in yesterday and said, oh by the way, you don't have Guillaume Barre. I was like, well, I did not THINK I did. There have been so many doctors dealing with me that I just sort of blink and say yeah, whatever. My husband and dad have been fielding reality for me for the most par. For example, I just realized I was in the hospital for two weeks when I have been telling everyone one week. I am just getting to the idea that I was maybe seeing certain people for the last time and that that was why they were there. That part is still at arms length, but getting closer. It is a hard one. But as mentioned, I did survive, and I am lucky to be here.

I did recieve a few anonymous, unsigned items that I would like someone to fess up to. Some music from Fort Collins. Speed?

As for mail, please keep sending it! It is so wonderful to receive. The best is just to send it home, I think. I am not sure how long I will be ere,

Liz O'Brien
180 Metacomet St.
Belchertown, MA 01007

Even just a note is great. I am actually going to start writng becsue it is one of the things that is hard. I write like a first grader. I have a whole ne, deeper than ever empathy for my students with writng disabilities, let me tell you.
Liz

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm really happy that you got my CD. I didn't know how long it would take. Yeah, I wanted to save some time, so I just had it shipped directly from the seller, since that's the only way to get that CD. That's why there's no note. It's a live album by the best local band I've ever seen in person, and every time I listen to it now I think of you. Hope it makes the boring recovery days more exciting. Tell me what you think of it. [Smile]

I'm so glad they've let you back on line. Nice to see you again.
[The Wave]

[ December 04, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Elizabeth, your post makes me want to cling to the hem of your skirt. This is really scary. I'm so, so incredibly glad you're getting better.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you so much, Speed! I am going to lidten to it tonight. I have had some bettery issues with my walkman.

Kat, thank you. It is really just strting to sink in and I think I am going to need more support tha I tjought. The physical therapy is hard. I used the walker today and a cane, and it felt good to walk bu tso attrange. It was like I was learnig a wole new body. I look around the rehab and realize how far ahead i am, yet I am atill relearning some very basic things. For instance, peeing will never again be taken for granted.

TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm glad you're feeling better Liz - remember, one step at a time.

-Trevor

Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
I write like a first grader.
I'm really glad I sent what I did, and for the reason I did. It will make me look like a genius!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, you always look like a genius. [Smile]

I just sent you something Liz, you should get it next week some time. Feel better dear, I echo Katie's last post. We are relieved. (((Liz)))

[edit for spelling. Don't feel bad Liz, I'm writing like a first grader and I don't have the hope of improvement like you do. [Smile] ]

[ December 04, 2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks, guys.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Besides, if you think your handwriting is bad, obviously you haven't gotten my card yet. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Kayla
Member # 2403

Oh, I totally blocked that. My God, my handwriting was so bad I actually apologized for it in the note! [Embarrassed]
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope she can decipher the chicken scratches on the card I sent. I included a pun and I'm sure it's even tougher to translate with poor penmanship.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon!!!
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I am so glad to see you posting, Liz. What a scare!

I'm also glad you don't have Guillian-Barre (sp?), though I don't know much about ADEM. My stepdad has G-B, and even though he had a remarkable recovery after plasmopheresis, he has never really regained total feeling in his hands or feet, and has trouble sometimes picking up things.

I would not have wanted you to have a similar affliction. Here's praying you beat that ADEM into submission and are right as rain quickly!

(((Elizabeth)))

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

O h my goodness! I just got a pile of Hatrack cards yesterday. Thank you so much! And thank you, Bob and Dana for another muscal mystery cleared u-p! Steve is bringing the battery recharger today. I was not even getting through one cd without the batteries running out. I can't wait to listen to both cds.

I am practi=ceing writing, and will try to write back. I saved the addresses.

Again, thank you all. I feel better and better each day. My kids came last night and we had dinner and watched a movie. It was the first timwe they saw me looking normal, and in clothes rather than the gd johnnie. I even got to be the bad parent by giving my daughter crap for not clipping her nails when I asked her LAST Sunday. I assured i I could still be bossy from here. and she laughed. I think she is going to giver Steve a bit of a run for his money. Before I got sick Steve was working almots every night, and I know how they can work the nerve of one parent. My respect for the single parent is way, way up there. Having another person on your team is so helpful.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Elizabeth))) I'm glad you're feeling better. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well I got a thing today saying that the package has been shipped UPS ground. I'm sorry I sent it to the hospital and I hope it gets there before you leave. Knowing UPS, it will probably get there by Friday. However, if it does end up somewhere odd I hope they open it cause it would probably brighten up the place.

I had to abbreviate the address a bit and couldn't add c/o So this is how the label came out <grin>
Elizabeth O'Brien
SpauldingRehab at ParkView Hospital
1400 State St
SPRINGFIELD, MA 01109

AJ

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.