FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The DaVinci Code is terrible . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The DaVinci Code is terrible .
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Grapes of Wrath for me.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did you throw that across the room? [Confused]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a freshman, I wanted desperately to throw 'A Seperate Peace' across the room-- but I was cowed by the literati into faking admiration for the book.

NEVER AGAIN!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

A Seperate Peace? I thought it was incredibly boring but I never devloped the urge to throw it across the room...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Personnally, i respect books too much to trow it but i would like throw Le rouge et le noir (the red and the black ?) by Stendhal.

Grape of wrath is a good book. Why did you thraw it ?

[ January 17, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that to me, Hobbes?

I was greatly irritated by the entire story - and the ending (at 14 years of age) horribly disturbed me.

Why? I don't remember. Too long ago, now. Probably just an excess of emotion.

I also ripped pages out of my Psych 101 book in class when the prof ticked me off -

but that's another story . . .

[Wink]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Try Balzac ! I think you love throwing his brick books.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Shan, I can appreciate the comment about the end of the story being a bit much for 14, but I always enjoyed the story ... :-|

Hobbes [Smile]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very nice guy in my ward that a few months confirmed that we could never, ever date by raving about the DaVinci Code.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you on Stendhal, Choobak, but Balzac? I love my Balzac!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Choobak on this one. I think Balzac is my most-hated writer.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really feel the urge to read books about secret religious conspiracies and hidden truths, read Robert Anton Wilson. At least he references his work, and he's way funnier.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
love Balzac, hate Stendhal.

The Duchesse de Langais is one of my all-time favorites from French Lit.

[ January 17, 2005, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugo.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

If you're going to use mental energy hating a French author, hate someone deserving - like Racine.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Oh ! Oh ! We continue the thread by having a discution on french autors ?

So, I would rectify some of what i wrote.
First, Stendhal wrote with an extremly good style and his stories are very interesting BUT I hate very very much his principals characters like Julien Sorel. I have a strong repulsion.

Secondly, About Balzac, I dislike all his work without one or two books, because he was too long in his description. For information, He was paid by producing pages : more he wrote, more he earn money. And Again and again, his stories let me sleep quicker than Ether. However, his descriptions are the best. Nobody like him can do that (maybe Zola did it it).

And about Racine, I don't think he was strong to read. But his work is not to be read, but first to be played.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I threw The Scarlet Letter.

Then, at our graduation party, several people (not me, as my copy had been my mother's) brought their copies of TSL from the previous year and threw them in the bonfire.

This was the same bonfire where I roasted the "American Values" chapter of our sophomore year Civics book.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerjam
Member # 7113

- posted      Profile for gingerjam   Email gingerjam         Edit/Delete Post 
i read DaVinci code in one day while bored completely out of my brains on a holiday stuck in the suburbs so i raved about it until:

1) i realised the book was badly written and the characters were 1 dimensional stereotypes
2)i realised that it was really supposed to be taken seriously
3) the media picked it up and started all their 'controversy' documentaries
4)i read Angels and Demons and figured they were both pitched at teenage boys...

then on a holidy in Scotland we visited Rosslyn chapel and the big punch line didn't even exist... and it was the creepiest place i've ever been...

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
The Davinci Code is about as good as oh say Farenheit 9/11. Both were fairly entertaining, but both were also completely and utterly a bunch of crap.

One of the oldest and esiest tricks in the book used to entertain people and make them rave about something is to give them "facts" that point to some "obvious" horrible truth. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING brings a group of people together as fast as giving them something easy to hate. It gives them a sense of purpose, and if it is twisted enough, they think they are doing the right thing for everyone.

The only problem I really have with Dan Brown or Michael Moore isn't that they make these books/movies. Hell, there are TONS of horrible works of fiction in the world. What bothers me is that they advertise their work as subtle truth, with no inaccuracies.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I threw Heart of Darkness.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I so wanted to throw "Things Fall Apart". Though I must say, the ending was... interesting.

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: To remove a word.

[ January 18, 2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as how the Hatrack literati appear to despise this book, I think I'm going to have to read it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I don't know if many Hatrackers would really get into the Illuminati trilogy. [Wink]

By the way, anyone ever play the boxed game? I played it when I was a li'l Storm Saxon with my brother and it was pretty fun.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I read Things Fall Apart for a seminar class and made a comment that got me despised by a lot of people for a long time. Someone was saying something about western missionaries destroying native cultures. I said, "This is a native culture where it was OK to hack up an innocent boy with a machete. I'm not convinced that a culture like that needs to be salvaged."
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have read "Things Fall Apart", Annie. One thing the professor said is that we had to pretend to be Ibo to 'get' the story, because that is how it was.

After all, it's not like any culture isn't cruel [Smile] .

I liked the book alright. I liked it more than the short stories by Flannery O'Connor we had to read, which I really had to try had to finish. Her ideas didn't mesh with my own at all.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
As for French writers, give me Voltaire, MoliƩre and Louis-Ferdinand Celine, especially the latter's Death on the Installment Plan.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite books was "Dangerous Liasons" by Chaderlos de Laclos(or something like that)Good lord, it was as racy a book as I have ever read, and written in the 1700's.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, man! I hated Dangerous Liasons. Well, I suppose I like the way it was done - as a gossipy series of letters - but couldn't handle the depreavity of everyone involved.

Has anyone else read Diderot's Jacques the Fatalist? It's a book I loved and hated all at the same time. I loved it because it was so beautifully modernist and I hated it because it made me want to clobber Jacques. I was fairly ambivalent about the author until he launched into a diatribe about his purposeful inflammatory use of the f-word.

Hobbes
Member # 433

You guys through werid books across the room, TSL for instance, how was that worth the energy it took you to throw it?

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Oh, and I do know how to spell depravity.
Annie
Member # 295

I would tell you to get on AIM, Hobbes, but I'm at work and shouldn't even be on Hatrack.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I thought the letter style was brilliantly done. There was depravity, for sure.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I threw "The Atrocity Exhibition" recently. JG Ballard seems to think repetitive, semi-coherent descriptions of sexualised violence constitues art. There just has to be something else there.

Maybe I was just impatient after having to read nearly 100 pages roughly three or four times before I understood what was happening.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Don't mixe Dan Brown and Michael Moore ! This last show us a part of american society with eyes of an American. When he show us the violence in Bowling for Columbine, I don't think he is so wrong : look your News at TV, and count the number of violence scenes you see.
I admit he use just a point of view, but he args well.
Look his work in all, not just Farenheit 9/11. It's just a brick.

But, it's clearly a long discussion we can have...

To come back to the thread, My favorite old french Autors are Maurice Leblanc, Gaston Leroux, Gustave Flaubert, Voltaire, Guy de Maupassant (except for Une vie), Jules Verne (of course), Edmond Rostant, and i certainly forget others.
I don't speak about poets because my list may get very long.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"This last show us a part of american society with eyes of an American."

Choobak, keep in mind that you're a Frenchman arguing to Americans that this depiction of American society is accurate. I submit that we're better-equipped to make that judgement. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Excuse-me but i don't arg that. I just wrote that Moore is american too. So his judgement must be considered. I reconize his method are perticularly suggestive but as many american docs.
In that (in the way he use), we also have an idea of the american society.

About me as a French, I want to notice i have an exterior look of USA, And maybe it is interesting for your autojudgement. (idea of how others percept you)
Don't think i am one of this French who spit on you. That's right, some things irritate me in USA, BUT i like USA more. Else I Don't go here to discuss with you... [Wink]

Annie
Member # 295

A lot of Americans agree with the conclusions that Michael Moore makes, but I, for one, take issue with the way he presents it. His films are propaganda and they discredit the message he's trying to send.

The most difficult French literature I ever had to read was Les Batisseurs de l'Empire. I forgot the name of the author... V something. I suppose I'm just not very in tune with l'absurde.

Choobak
Member # 7083

Boris Vian !! One of the "importator" of Rock'n Roll in France, A great autor, and a wonderful artist. I didn't make him in my list because he is too recent (50's) But he's one i like.

Good choice, Annie !

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.