FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DubaiCon!!!! 8-10th November 2006!!!! Who's in? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DubaiCon!!!! 8-10th November 2006!!!! Who's in?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, i'm booked [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Party pooper. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister lives in Dubai. She loves OSC too, but doesn't come to hatrack though. I can e-mail her and see if she'd like to meet you during your visit.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, quid, I was actually hoping to be in your neck of the woods around Nov. 18--I got a paper accepted at a conference in Kolkata, but I wasn't able to scrounge up the funding to get there.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Cool you got your paper accepted - what on, if I may be bold enough to ask? Sorry you didn't get the funding.
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a conference on food and literature, and my paper was on food as a transformative element--food and metamorphosis, basically--in world lit. (e.g., Ovid, Su Tong, Perrault).

I was able to get some funding, but not enough to cover the hefty Chicago-Kolkata flight, dang it.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Huh. That sounds interesting. Sorry it didn't work out for you to go. I haven't been to India, either, and dang it, but Fahim's already been and doesn't want to go again, and I really want to go, but not without him...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And as an update, it looks like we're actually going. [Smile] Fahim and his parents got their visas on Sunday (I don't need one, me travelling on a Canadian passport and all).

BUT. We don't have our airline tickets yet. The travel agency people aren't too bright by my estimation and even though we're supposed to fly in 12+ hours (we actually don't know when our flight leaves as they haven't told us), they're still not ready for us to pick up. Sometime this morning, they say. Um...

And to make things more adventurous, we're flying into Sharjah and then taking a bus or something to Dubai itself. [Big Grin]

We're almost going! We're almost going!

And assuming we go, we'll be gone for three days. No internet, but I probably won't care cuz, well, heck, I'm on vacation! Yay!!!!! And hopefully playing with a brand new digital SLR camera! Maybe!

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the tickets, and have a safe (and fun and productive) trip!
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

We got our tickets! [Smile]

But the whole thing is rather sad... The travel agent said they couldn't print up the tickets themselves, but Air Arabia had to print them out, and a staff person from the travel agent had to go pick them up. And they told us the tickets would be at the travel agent's by 11am. We got there at 11am, but the tickets didn't arrive until 12:07pm.

And that's when we discover that the tickets are actually e-tickets. And were printed from the Air Arabia web site. [Roll Eyes] Uh huh. Yeah, that's why we had to go to the travel agent and why we had to wait over an hour for the "tickets".

BUT we have them. And we leave at 5 something am.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.