FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Semi-Nude Gardening (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Semi-Nude Gardening
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ha!! I'm not as gay as you all think!
[ROFL]
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Texture more than anything else tells me whether the soil is too sandy, or has too much clay, or if it's just right.
I'm going to make you an honorary geotechnical engineer. I've won interoffice contests estimating how much silt and/or clay was in a soil sample.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so bad about wearing gloves that I even forget to put them on when pulling weeds. My hands were not happy with me a couple weeks ago after pulling out tons of small tumbleweeds - man, do those hurt!

I will definitely try that soap trick out this weekend. I already bought the two new plants to put in on Saturday - a Texas Mountain Laurel and a Chinese Pistach tree (last week was an Arizona Cypress and a volunteer palm tree we dug up from our old house). [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't all you glove-wearers and grass-avoiders feel totally disconnected from the earth, never enjoying being in contact with it?"

Well, yes. But frankly, I don't consider being connected to the Earth to be a virtue in itself. It's a means to an end.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a gardener for about 7 years. I found it deeply satisfying. There was something about shaping the earth or pruning trees or planting that filled a very deep need. I only wore gloves when trimming roses or when trimming trees (and not always then- and I have a number of scars on my hands and arms to prove it), and loved the tactile sensations.

Soil that didn't have too much clay but that was cool and loose was great to just stick your hands in. And I love the smells (I don't have any allergies, so they don't bother me)- the freshly mown grass, the soil, the flowers. With a cool breeze in the trees, the sun on your back and neck, the birds singing. The look of a yard where the trees are beautifully pruned and healthy, the roses shapely and blooming, the grass cut with a nice pattern and the edges all nicely cut. A bed with freshly planted shrubs, shallow burms around them, and the soil lightly raked and clean and damp.

It was great and wonderful work and I never minded getting dirty (except for the smell of gasoline and exhaust from some of the equipment.) I truly loved it. Didn't pay well so I eventually had to do something else to support my family. Now I sit at a desk. But it was nice and when I get a yard of my own, I think I will enjoy working in it.

The only thing was, though I have a *very* good memory for near anything I learn or hear, including many useless or fictional 'facts', I could never, for the life of me, remember any plant names. I was at one point working on getting certified to spray herbicide, but for the life of me, could never remember the different types of weeds and what was effective on them. Go figure.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish to apologize to KarlEd and everyone else. Sometimes I post before I think and this mornings post on this thread was an example. What I thought was funny at the time proved, upon further deliberation, to be not only crass but demeaning as well. I've deleted the post and I'll spend more time contemplating my contributions in the future. [Blushing]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw anything demeaning. Just playful jokes all around. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I love mowing. Does anyone else love to mow?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it flat where you live dpr? I can see it being an okay activity when its flat.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The weather finally tuned into proper autumn weather last weekend so we had major gardening spree.

All the roses are out of their pots and in the ground. The ashes of our first dog are under a beautiful yellow rose - while sad, a definite improvement on their temporary resting place in my study. The chilli plant and day lillies also got homes in the ground.

I started off with gloves but abandoned them when it came to planting the herbs. I felt too clumsy with the littler root bundles.

And now I have lemongrass, chives, thai basil, normal basil, parsley, arugala, oregano, lemon thyme, tarragon, sage, coriander and dill.

[Big Grin]

All are flourishing - I like to think because of my naked planting.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I took no offense, punwit. If anything, I opened the door with the thread title. No worries. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear my dirty nails and green thumbs with pride. No better way to proclaim to the world, "I am a Gardener!" I've been tickled recently to find that many people of my acquaintance now seek me out for gardening advice. I really truly know next to nothing, but I always try to encourage people.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thankful that you weren't offended, KarlEd. Rereading it yesterday afternoon I got the feeling it could have been interpreted as laughing at you instead of with you and I felt like I should delete it.

[ April 01, 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
My yard is very flat, although large.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

You are a Gardener. [Razz]
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... like painting with your eyes shut...
Astaril, you've never done this? I enjoy fingerpainting with my eyes shut.

Mowing can be pretty satisfying, although I detested the activity in high school when my parents made me mow every week. If I was doing it of my own free will, or mowing my own yard, I think I would like it.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...naked gardening would seem a little chili to me.

Maybe you should just cumin from the cold.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Astaril, you've never done this?
Well, you *can* paint with your eyes shut, sure. It's like my still wearing gloves to weed thistles. I meant that generally the visual sense is highly involved in fine art, even non-realistic types, and it's pretty hard to get the feel for its aesthetics when you can't see it. But yes, in fact, I have done it. Quite fun, really. But the end product never satisfies me nearly as much as one where I watch what I'm doing...

quote:
But frankly, I don't consider being connected to the Earth to be a virtue in itself.
Tom, you know, it never occurred to me that a connection with the earth wouldn't be a virtue to someone. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but... it's so foreign to me! Well, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd offer to do all your gardening for you. [Smile]
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, Tom, I discovered this weekend that Chris is on your side in the sacred/icky debate. I asked him to spread some mulch around the base of a new bush and when the rake he was using was clearly not going to work without banging around and damaging the bush I said, "Just use your hands". From the look he gave me you'd have thought I'd just asked him to clean the litter box Fear Factor style. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to state, for the record, that I personally pulled live, wriggling worms from our pond pump motor yesterday. By hand. Without gloves.

I did not enjoy it, but I did it anyway. Yay me. *shudder*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
BURN IT ALL GHWAHAHAHA! [Evil Laugh]

just kidding. We have a fruit/vegetable garden where I live. Because its cold here in Quebec we plant Siberian tomatos. They're stubburn tomatos its in their slavic nature. [Wink]

Also where I live is Ant Citah, ant hills EVERYWHERE. However its of he itty bitty brown ant kind so trying to nab their queen isn't worth it. I want to nabb me a black ant queen and a few workers and BAAM! I have my very own Black Ant colony. [Big Grin] And then soon I'll have an army f black ants at me beck and call.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Meanwhile, I'm still pulling splinters out of my knuckles because of a particularly nasty weed that was hiding in a pile of debris I was cleaning up (without gloves). So I'll freely admit they do have their place. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.