FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An explanation of a concept fundamental to my existence: the derivative (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An explanation of a concept fundamental to my existence: the derivative
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The formal definition of a unit is worthless to an engineer. It doesn't have any particular bearing on real life. As such my understanding of it is not intuitive.

I could try, but not on a Friday afternoon. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think that this was pretty good. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
For any limit, there's two numbers. There's the number we're approaching the function of, and the number we're approaching after we take the function. A limit exists when as we approach the function of a particular number, we can come arbitrarily close to another number (as the value of the function).

So for instance, the limit of x^2 as we approach 2 is 4, because as we approach the function (x^2) of a number (2), we're approaching the number 4, and we can get as arbitrarily close to 4 as we want by getting closer and closer to 2.

We're also getting closer and closer to 5 as we approach the function (x^2) of 2 (well, if we only approach from the lower end of the number scale, which is a specific sort of limit), but we can't get arbitrarily close to it. We'll always be at least 1 away.

Limits are pretty easy to show somebody specific examples of, but hard to explain generally.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Limits are pretty easy to show somebody specific examples of, but hard to explain generally.
*agrees*
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing that may be tripping you up in my bathtub example is that I don't offer a formula for calculating the volume in the tub at any given time. Unless you want to do some calculus (and I don't think you do ) there is no way for you to determine what the volume of water in the tub is at an arbitrary time.
It would help if I could actually remember enough calculus... [Razz]

quote:
If I had made this thread, I'd have called it:

"An explanation of a concept integral to my existence: the derivative"

Very cute, Bok. [Smile]

I'll bet rivka has some good sources to explain limits.

[ April 10, 2005, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, not really. I kinda hate calculus . . . ok, not all of it. Mostly integration.

And everything that was on the actuary test. >_<

But let me see what I can find.

[ April 10, 2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This page is cute.

. . . and that was the only site I found that actually seemed aimed at teaching the concept of limits to non-math people. Found quite a few that want to sell books that would do so. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooo, that's a good way of doing it!
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.