FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question of Physics. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question of Physics.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that explains it, rivka. Newton must have used a different gravitational constant and/or "Earth"mass and/or "Earth"radius (which weren't very precisely known back then) than is currently used for calculating Earth orbits. And the instructor who posted the java program used Newton's original numbers.

Initially, I didn't think about the height of the "mountain" when compared to the two different launch velocities. Then I thought of SpaceshipOne reaching a maximum speed of ~Mach3.09 for the final climb up to ~112kilometres/367,442feet to win the XPrize.
Which made the discrepencies really stand out.
The 16,168mph/26,030kph initial velocity of the circular "mountain-top"height orbit is too low for an Earth-orbit when combined with the fall-distance implied by the 15,524mph/25,000kph initial velocity of the elliptical lowest possible orbit: ie the orbit which begins at "mountain-top"height, falls to near"sea"level at the point opposite/180degrees from the "mountain" without "crashing into the sea", then rises to "mountain-top"height again.

[ April 09, 2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 7528

- posted      Profile for Hammer           Edit/Delete Post 
Whew, you guys and your assumtions. Hmmmm, did anyone ever tell you what "assume" makes out of us?

Have away at your velocity and bowling balls so long as they don't interfere with my bridge.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, assume makes us brave enough to get outta bed in the morning insteada being petrified by the fear that we'll fall through the floor to be crushed, fried, and carbonized somewhere along the journey to Earth's core.
Your bridge is built on a large set of assumptions. As is everything that everyone does.

[ April 09, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Can i have a little atmosphere room to continue to breath during the experiment ? you'll be nice. And if possible bowling ball prouf. And with something to eat. And a coffee. Please. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.