FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If your truly support our troops, buy a hybrid (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If your truly support our troops, buy a hybrid
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, I could go hunt down the threads, or, I think, even one of OSC's columns, but support of the troops it very much tied to how "American" and patriotic you are.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, point out where Belle the people who don't like certain aspects of Dan's post have called dissent un-American.

Get over ourselves? How about you direct your remarks at people they're actually relevant to, instead of grouping slightly more than half the country into a homogenous blob that you categorize into your neat little box.

You've got a problem with the way some people have talked about your political views? Why is doing the same thing to different people than the ones who did it to you a proper solution to that?

Barfing smiley? I think we need a two-faced smiley.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dagonee, I could go hunt down the threads, or, I think, even one of OSC's columns, but support of the troops it very much tied to how "American" and patriotic you are.
And again, why do you insist on lumping people together?

Oh, and you still haven't explained how "however, how much of a conservatioist you are is not the only measure of how much you care about or support our troops" prompts "it's not un-American to voice dissent? We wouldn't want to make things harder for the troops by giving aid or comfor to the enemy."

In the past month on this forum, I've been told I'm slimy because I wear a suit sometimes and part of the one of the most evil organization on earth. We've heard how gun owners are "dishonest" and how white males get the world to bend to their whims. And now you seem to think that Belle needs to answer for every time someone who shares some of her political views has insulted you somehow.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of the whole f*&^ing thing. Maybe if people would start treating people as individuals we could actually reach some sort of rapport.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a facts vs. opinions issue? Or just generalizations?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's mainly generalizations:

quote:
t's funny when conservatives find the tactics they use against others offensive when used against them.
At this point in the thread, I believe only KarlEd and Belle had voiced any misgivings about what Dan had quoted.

Then the almost total non-sequiter at the bottom of page 1.

Dagonee

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The Coulter thing?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

No, the jump from conservation is not the only way to measure support of the troops to dissent is un-American.

Although the equation of Coulter's views with anyone who has posted int his thread is, at minimum, unsupported and definitely pure BS with respect to most of them.

[ April 19, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Ahh, like the Republicans and judicial nominations? You're right. Payback sucks.

But that aside, what does the meaningless phrase "Support the troops" mean?

quote:
Indeed, the anti-Bush campaign threatens to undermine our war effort, give encouragement to our enemies, and cost American lives during the long year of campaigning that lies ahead of us.
Dissent = aid and comfort to the terrorists. Or am I alone in misreading that? I mean, anyone running against Bush must be anti-American and want our troops dead, right?

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2003-11-16-1.html

So, I'm not sure how much of a non-sequiter any of it is. While Belle didn't come right out and say that Dan was being mean and calling her un-American, I certainly felt it.

Then again, maybe it's just the tone of the host and a large cross-section of the board, whose feelings on the subject are well-known and made some of us uncomfortable around here for the last year.

And coulter is vitriolic. So is OSC, occasionally. So is half the board sometimes.

Dagonee, why do you insist on taking everything so very literally? It seems that sometimes you are being intentionally obtuse, but I know that it is just you taking a literal read of the actual words used. While this might be a good thing for a "strict-constructionist" SCJ, I find it to be a pain in the butt. [Wink]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Glenn, I prefer to stick to sweeping generalizations.
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
And again, why do you insist on lumping people together?
Why not?

quote:
In the past month on this forum, I've been told I'm slimy because I wear a suit sometimes and part of the one of the most evil organization on earth. We've heard how gun owners are "dishonest" and how white males get the world to bend to their whims.
None of which I said, so how's it relevant? Stop lumping me into your sweeping generalizations! [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Frankly, I'm getting sick of the whole f*&^ing thing.
Well, then as I've been told on numerous occasions, stop coming here. If it bothers you that much, don't do it.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, what's up?

You have some strong opinions, but you're usually not this filled with vitriol. Dag's a good guy, and you darn well know it. Get over whatever's set you off and stop antagonizing people for no reason except to create barriers.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah. That's not it. Dag is nitpicking for no reason. Not of it was actually aimed at him, till he decided to stand there.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not the first person you've been unreasonably snappish with today.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Words don't have to be aimed at someone to be hurtful to him. This board is not the site of private communiques, but public conversations.

It is in the interests of all to temper the hurtful, and it is hurt that you are spreading right now.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I never once in this thread accused anyone else of not supporting the troops, I just objected to dan telling me what I must do to support them in his eyes.

Like Dag, I think the tone around here has gotten really ugly, and it's very disappointing.

I'm not at all against conservation, or against volunteering in VA's or against paying your taxes. What I am against, is the last part of dan's post (which he admits was insulting) which states that people who don't go along with his criteria need to "shut up" about how they support the troops. I submit there are many ways to show support for our military men and women, and there isn't a right or wrong way.

Disagreeing with the government or the president about why the troops are over there does not equal hatred for our troops, and I have never said it does.

I have no problem with Kayla or anyone else challenging me on what I believe or say, but if you're going to do it at least be accurate - challenge me on something I actually do believe and have said, and not what you just think I believe because you've lumped me into some category in your head.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny part is that he lumped you and I together and called it "conservative".

[ROFL]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite our differences on some subjects, that admittedly are hot-button topics, there are many cases where I'd be proud to be lumped in with you, KarlEd. I thinks you are a class guy. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.