FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS Return to Missouri (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LDS Return to Missouri
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I regularly vote for people who wouldn't enact my will over people who would because I consider those who wouldn't better people.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
quote:
Everyone is trying to take over the world. The right, the left, religious and areligious, black and white, everyone wants to make major changes to the current world order such that their will is done and their needs are met.

I'm not.
You do realize that by denying it you are only providing evidence, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
To Occasional's original post:

People don't kick at sleeping dogs.

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You do realize that by denying it you are only providing evidence, neh?
Umm...No. I guess I'll need it explained to me.

Is like one of those things like if you say "there are no moral absolutes" you've actually refuted yourself by making an absolute claim?

Anyway, I hope you'll give me the reasoning behind that statement. I just don't get it.

(ps: or...I'm secretly trying to take over the world by lulling everyone else into a false sense of my benevolence.) [Wink]

sleepy....you are getting sleepy...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and Fugu, you both vote to elect politicians who 're most likely to act in the way you would like them to act, when stacked up against the choices you've got.

The politician you vote for is (presumably) going to do some things differently from the other guy, and thus other people will not be getting their way. Even if your will is 'leave people alone so long as they aren't hurting anyone', you are voting-exercising political force-to try and get that will done more often throughout the world.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

What on earth are you talking about?! I have voted for people explicitly working against causes I support over people explicitly working for those same causes because I thought the former person was a better person, even though their policy positions were counter to mine.

Which is exactly what I said before, and pretty much not what you just said.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Look, it's more than specific policy-and I realize how this sounds-but you are trying to put the people you want into office by your vote, fugu. For whatever reason-be it direct policy choices, or the greater good, or whatever.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's something everyone does. If given the option to exercise power, everyone will try and remake the world according to their principles which will by necessity be different from those of other people.

I don't mean whim, I don't mean greed, I mean those things and their principles.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well duh I vote for people I want in office, but that's not at all equivalent to people who think the way I do or try to enact my will, which is what you were talking about.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I can see why you came to that conclusion, but that's only part of what I'm talking about.

It appears to me that your will is not limited to having your way on specific issues in politics. Your will also includes things like doing what you can to make sure good people are elected to public office.

In other words, you want the world to be a better place. That's your will. You exercise that will by voting for people who will, you think, do so-at least, I don't expect you'd vote for someone who is a good person but who would do bad things to the world-and thus you're trying to exert control over the rest of the world.

That's all. It's not a bad thing, and I realize it sounds like I've constructed an argument that means no matter what you say, I'm still correct-and I suppose I have. But it's what I believe.

Good people can try to take over the world, too.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Doing what is my will is not the same as voting for people to enact my will, still, not at all.

Your original position is far from what you have moved to now, which does pretty much amount to "you vote for who you choose to vote for", a position I cannot find myself disagreeing with for some reason.

And that I would not vote for someone who I thought was doing something evil does not mean I will not vote for someone I think is doing something bad (at least in the weak sense).

If excluding from support a small number of publicly expressed opinions and supporting someone who disagrees with me strongly on a number of issues is enforcing my will on the world, I am befuddled as to those words actually meaning anything.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Looking back you are correct-I spoke wrongly. I used the words 'make major changes to the world', and I shouldn'tve.

I do believe, however, that it is your will to put good people in office whenever you can. Your idea of good people, and that someone, somewhere, will disagree with that idea.

Why on Earth vote for someone if you don't think they're going to do something you want, even if it's as intagible as not being a scumbag?

Who have you supported who disagreed strongly with you on a number of issues, exactly? And who were they running against? And why, exactly, did you vote for them?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.