FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hardrive go boom -- Problem NOT solved! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hardrive go boom -- Problem NOT solved!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it did/does. Thanks. [Frown]

*is on a campus computer right now*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last year, they fixed my dead CPAP machine that I thought was not just sorta dead or mostly dead but entirely completely and totally dead, and it's been working fine ever since
And just what was the CPAP's noble cause? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
CPAP = Continuous Positive Air Pressure. I use it to treat my obstructive sleep apnea, which means that without the CPAP machine, I stop breathing in my sleep. Many many times. See the fat article thread for more info on OSA. [Big Grin]

More news on the dead laptop front. Fahim's buddy popped it open last night, and there was still dust and cat fur in it, which had to be cleaned out, which meant that the other place hadn't even opened the laptop before making their diagnosis that it was the motherboard. And Fahim's buddy also said it isn't the motherboard, but instead, looks to be a fuse just before the power hits the motherboard.

Of course, that was last night after the guy had spent less than five minutes with the machine. We'll see what further information erupts this morning.

Meanwhile, I'm seriously considering sending a scathing letter not just to this company, but also to Dell Asia because it's a Dell laptop and this company is the sole Dell representative in this country, doing all Dell repairs. I doubt the local company will change - or maybe it will if Dell Asia gets enough of these things. I wonder how many other people complain?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
okay, keeping quid breathing is a noble cause... that ranks up there with a good MLT...

And i'm not in the least bit surprised to find out that the so-called professionals were blowing smoke out their nether regions.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, yes, I, as well, was greatly relieved that they could fix it. It turned out to be a capacitor (I think) that cost all of $0.30 or $0.60. It's a common part that's easily available at any hardware shop here.

A half year ago - maybe a few months? I lose track of time so very easily - the hose on my cpap machine started falling apart. It started ripping between the spirally support thingies. It was split halfway through the hose, and not in just one place, but in about a dozen. I finally noticed because of the air I felt on my hand after I turned it on - where there should have been no air escaping.

I looked around locally to see if I could find any hoses, found nothing. Can't glue it shut because the fumes - I'm chemically sensitive. Can't tape it because of the support thingy - ridges.

Finally, my handy dandy fixing type of brother in law was in town (along with the rest of the family). He takes out a knife, slices off the part that's wrecked, rips the damaged stuff out of the rubber thingy that fits into the machine, and screwed the good part back into the thingy. Yes, all very technical. [Big Grin] So it's six inches shorter, but damn, it works and good!

And yes, I'm starting to have faith that maybe, just maybe, the laptop actually can be fixed. These guys are incredible!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.