FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas or Charcoal??? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gas or Charcoal???
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
No argument there, just someone had to go that route. At home right now, we've got two gas grills in need of repair.

I'd love to switch to a heavy duty charcoal grill, but we've neither the time or money to do so.

Charcoal is great for taste, but Dag made a good point that gas is faster and easier for every day grilling. Man, I miss the days when I could just toss some chicken or steak on the grill each night.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There was about a year when I grilled at least 4 or 5 times a week. And my cookouts were famous.

Alas, no grill for me right now or in the foreseeable future.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
On the gas or charcoal question:

I shave with a straight razor. I still take pictures with a fully manual SLR (although we just bought a Canon EOS rebel XT with an 18-200 lens. Woo-hoo!)

So why would I want to take the easy way out?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Straight razor... wow! I'm too nervous for that, but I do use a shaving brush. Sooo much better than shaving cream from a can.

Dang, sorry, got wayyyy off topic there.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, see, I like feeling like I have a skill, rather than just letting the machine do the work. Yes, I use charcoal, precisely because it's more difficult to acheive the results I want. I have to work harder, and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

It's similar to why I like shooting guns. Sure, the gun is a precision instrument, but it requires skill to achieve the accuracy that the gun is capable of. With most precision instruments it's the other way around.

And if I start being able to put the bullet through the same hole, I can just back up to a greater distance and it makes it challenging again.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"No argument there, just someone had to go that route. At home right now, we've got two gas grills in need of repair."

Well, put them up on Freecycle.

And Dag, ask for one on Frecycle.

You people are so behind the times.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas is nice.

Charcoal's more fun (for everybody).

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
When my daughter wanted to go camping with her friends and cook over the fire, she informed me, in no uncertain terms, that there would be no chicken "baked" in foil that took two hours and tasted like doo doo.

Ingrate.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If it takes two hours, and tastes like crap, you are doing it wrong in the first place, so I don't blame her. [Big Grin]

Some of the best meal I ever had around a fire were foil meals.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.