FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Canada's Doom Near? (Warning: SSM Thread) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is Canada's Doom Near? (Warning: SSM Thread)
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right. It is NOT in all households. Certainly not in mine. Most non-Christians see the Christmas tree as being symbolic of...Christmas.
The Christmas tree is symbolic of Christmas. But what is Christmas but a festival celebrating life? In those households that choose to have a Christmas tree, whether they actually know it or not the Christmas tree is representing life. As someone pointed out the use of evergreen decoration at Christmas dates back a very long time.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why marriage rates should fall off because gay people start marrying. I can see divorce rates rising--you see, when more people can get married, that means in the long run more people are getting divorces too.

I would not jail the minister. It seems we've reached consensus on that. However, when he hits the "Mississippi Burning" level and starts handing out buckets of stones, you have to do something about that.

Really, my objection is how against letting people see our relationships as normal and therefore more tolerable a lot of anti-SSMers seem to be.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag wrote:
quote:
The only solution I see that meets concersn going both ways is the one I've advocated before - the clear demarcation of the civil institution as merely a collection of legal rights, default rules, and duties from any other concept of marriage.
I don't quite understand why this isn't a more obvious solution for both sides of the issue. In every non-civil aspect of "marriage" we've already "won" the battle. As I've posted before, there are a growing number of Christian churches which welcome homosexuals into their ranks and will perform marriage ceremonies for them.

It's odd that anti-SSM Christians aren't more vociferously attacking these renegade Christian churches. I mean, if anyone is weakening the concept of "marriage" as a God-ordained union to be shared only by one man and one woman, it's these renegades, no? To me that shows that battling the concept in the courts for religious reasons isn't about "defending" anything. Its about getting the government's endorsement of your narrow religious views. In this way it's very similar to the fight to get "Intelligent Design" taught as science.

I find it immensely ironic that if I wanted my relationship with Chris to become a Holy Union of some sort, I could have that. Yet I'm barred from the civil recognition and its accompanying rights/responsibilities. What purpose does this serve? What is the good to society in this?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.