FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dinosaur's (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dinosaur's
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat Mouse was still nursing her kittens when they were larger than she was, though she started weaning them earlier. She wanted them to stop long before they finally did, I think. They were nearly a year old and fully grown when I remember them waiting until she was deeply asleep and couldn't defend herself to gang up on her and nurse her.

So judging by that, the right age seems to be when mom can't take it any more and makes it stop. Children can be such little terrorists. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
'Cuz if it's right for felines, it's right for us. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, and science museums are so cool! One of the neatest things I've ever seen was in our science museum years ago. It was a triangle made of 3 mirrors edge to edge and you stood in the center of them. The reflections in various orientations went off to infinity in all directions. An infinite hexagonal array. I would love to see that again. I wonder why they don't bring it back from time to time. You had to crawl up underneath it to get inside but none of us kids worried about that. Maybe the grownups were reluctant to crawl underneath, or something, and they felt left out. Poor grownups! They miss so much that's fun.

And dinosaurs are really cool too! I love them! I went through a dinosaur phase like most kids, but mine happened sort of late. I was in my late 20s. But I still have scale replicas of a bunch of dinosaurs. I loved velociraptors long before (the misnamed) Jurassic Park came out, but was glad to finally see them get the stardom they deserved. They were seriously severely cool! [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
'Cuz if it's right for felines, it's right for us. [Razz]

Oh absolutely! We're close cousins, after all! [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe my wife will give birth to a litter of six kids and grow a few more breasts then.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"A couple of extra ones in the back for dancing." [Razz]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That would be so cool! [Smile] When we colonize space, we could do that! We'd probably want to have many of the child care tasks automated by then. Maybe a robonannie for changing, feeding, and rocking with mom or dad in the control center like Ender, giving overall direction and zooming in to take control of individual situations as needed. For education we could have those books like in The Diamond Age, with Mom and Dad being able to step in at any point to guide and direct the program.

If we do that, we could handle litters of six or eight kids maybe twice a year for 20 years. How many does that make?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

<does math> 240 - 320 kids. Still far short of a million, sadly.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

But at the end of those 20 years, the first kids would be reproducing themselves. Exponential growth!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yup, good thing space is big. [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
you named your cat "mouse?"

twisted... [Evil]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thong-Myster
Member # 8495

- posted      Profile for Thong-Myster   Email Thong-Myster         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. You people are a lost cause.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thong-Myster:
Sigh. You people are a lost cause.

Because your topic was soooooooooo interesting on its own to begin with. Wait a minute... How sure are you that you aren't Bean Counter?
*eyes suspiciously*

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thong-Myster
Member # 8495

- posted      Profile for Thong-Myster   Email Thong-Myster         Edit/Delete Post 
Whos been counter?
Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it would be interesting to see the ways that we will adapt ourselves to make the colonization of extraplanetary habitats and alien worlds--xenoforming ourselves rather than terraforming the environments (or more likely in conjunction with terraforming the environments). Not that the idea of adapting human physiology and psychology to an alien environment is terribly original, but still, the idea of making ourselves into aliens is intriguing.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBunky
Member # 8350

- posted      Profile for UncleBunky           Edit/Delete Post 
What if some humans started combining with dinosaurs. Like women! And then they were really big and they could do bad things to men.

And then they take over the world so everything is their size...like toilet bowls, and guys would have to stand on the edge of a huge hole to take a leak and could fall in.

And if someone fell in what if a woman sat down and took a huge crap on him!?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman, some of that kind of idea is touched on in Stephen Hamiliton's Fallen Dragon. One of the human-colonized planets is full of people who fled earth to pursue genetic-level body modification on a scale which had been banned. They're very alien.
Whoa, don't read the reviews on that Amazon page. The "editorial review" completely spoils the ending of the book! (at least in terms of the main character)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thong-Myster
Member # 8495

He dies?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It might be kind of neat to have a space-adapted body with enormous wings for solar-sailing. Then we could live freely in the inner parts of any solar system. We'd have to space-adapt food species too, of course, so there would be whole ecosystems in space. Whoa, sort of like Niven's "Integral Trees", in fact. [Smile]

Seems like the largest scale engineering is always bio-engineering. For instance, life terraformed the Earth long ago, before humans existed. If we start doing that intentionally, then we could design life that, for instance, builds ringworlds or Dyson spheres around other stars for us to live on. Of course, life always evolves to have its own agenda. So it may be that we ought to take a more respectful and delicate view of such things. When we do stuff like that we are on our way to becoming gods, and it behooves gods not to make colossal mistakes in their work. Nothing is more horrible than ignorant clumsy gods with good intentions. [Big Grin]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

... unless maybe it's ignorant clumsy gods with bad intentions. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If there are gods with bad intentions out there, I think I'd prefer them to be ignorant and clumsy. Because worse than either of your two options is a competent malevolent god. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[ROFL] true!
Noemon
Member # 1115

There is a short story (well, more of a novella really) that I read a few years back in one of Gardner Dozois' Year's Best anthologies that was about post humans. Started out with a world not too far advanced of our own, with a recently developed nanotechnology that allowed bodies to be preserved perfectly, pretty much forever. You saw the evolution of the technology as the main character, over a period of thousands of years, went from being an ordinary human to an undead person kept conscious and mobile through a more advanced form of this nanotechnology, to decidedly post human space farer, to non-corporeal god. In that form he recreated the world and rentered it as his ordinary human self. Brilliant story. I have no idea of either the author or the title, unfortunately, so until I happen to reread whatever volume of Dozois' anthology that was, or until a Hatracker puts me out of my misery with the title or the author (or both!) I'm pretty much SOL.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBunky
Member # 8350

- posted      Profile for UncleBunky           Edit/Delete Post 
NO! DON'T POST ANYMORE!

We CAN'T let this retarded thread go on forever! It's just, well, pathetic...

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Noemon, that sounds like a great story. I was really hoping someone would pipe up and say who it was by and what it was called. I haven't seen many stories about what people do as they become more godlike.

It does seem like above and beyond the pace of technological development, the real limit to our advancement in the future will be what we can accept, and what we can imagine for ourselves. Every time in evolution some species is very successful the thing that ends up happening is that it radiates and fills a lot of different evolutionary niches. I expect that is what is in store for humanity, probably vastly sped up by our intentional tinkering with ourselves. (Though if we don't grow up and start making sensible choices, of course, we'll soon go extinct. It's totally up to us.)

I do see us eventually shaping new universes of our own. If we then embody ourselves in them, I can just imagine us loving the beings who evolved there as though they were our children, and trying to show them how to grow up and become like us, how to attain real joy. I can just see how it would happen that way, and won't that story seem awfully familiar? [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Uncle Bunky, I'm sorry for ignoring your suggestion and for offending your sensibilities. That was bad of me. <hangs head in shame>
Noemon
Member # 1115

I was hoping that someone would too Tatiana, but I suspect that not all that many people are reading this thread, which is unfortunate--we've had some pretty interesting stuff come up. Looks like KarlEd has started a thread of his own on post humans; maybe I should repost my question in that thread.

I expect that you're right about the main limiting factor being what we can conceive of; it seems like that's usually the case in human endeavors.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.