FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spike TV removed DS9 from the 11:00 am slot :mad: (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Spike TV removed DS9 from the 11:00 am slot :mad:
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
true season 1 was slow, 3 abd 4 were amazing.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek isn't dead. It's resting.

Enterprise was a horrible idea for a show. They need to go back to the timeline we all fell in love with, which is to say, way after phasers and transporters, and not back when Andorians were a worthwhile enemy.

I like the idea of Star Trek Away Team, focus on a show about enlisted officers instead of the higher level command crew we usually get. Or Star Trek CSI, or a Star Trek JAG, but that risks becoming less about Star Trek and more about the CSI angle. Or Star Trek Starfleet Academy, but that risks becoming the OC in a Star Trek setting.

There are plenty of ideas.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If they bring back Treck, I hope that they do it without any A) time travel or B) holodecks.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't mind holodeck, and time travel can be fun.

But when they use it to excess, I think it takes away from the show.

Did anyone here really not like "Trouble with Tribbles" the DS9 episode?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Really? Why not?
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
The best TNG episode was " Inner Light", where Picard lives a whole other life in 25 minutes. It never fails to make me cry at the end when he says "It's me you're going to find!"
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

DM -- that was a great episode.

Lyr -- I don't have time to respond right now, and I'll be away form the comp for a few days starting now. Sorry.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Your kidding, right?

The flyby of the ship lasted at least 10 minutes.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

When we get a new Voyager DVD in the mail, I always tell my son, "Veeger came!" He thinks I'm nuts. One of these days, I'm gonna make him watch TMP.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
The best TNG episode was " Inner Light", where Picard lives a whole other life in 25 minutes. It never fails to make me cry at the end when he says "It's me you're going to find!"
That's the one where he gets hit by the probe and learns how to play that tin flute and his planet gets wiped out but at the end they launch that probe, the one that ends up bringing him there to begin with?

I like how they bring the flute back in later episodes. That was a good episode, and a nice PSA at the same time.

Kayla
Member # 2403

That is my favorite, too, as I've mentioned numerous time. It's also the favorite of Wil Wheaton. [Cool]

http://www.wilwheaton.net/faq.php#trek (5th question)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one.

I also like the Drumhead, when there's a sort of witchunt thing going on in Starfleet that ends up on the Enterprise. The Best of Both Worlds is also good. So's Chain of Command.

Um...not that I'm a fan or anything. *shuffles off*

quote:
One of these days, I'm gonna make him watch TMP.
Make sure he's done something really really bad.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I love the series finale of TNG. All Good Things. Even though I know it's an obvious favorite. Wolf 359 is good too. I don't know many of the titles of the episodes.

Pound for pound, I think TNG is the best series. DS9 is best if you like the action/comedy angle. TNG is the best if you like the quality, especially over the course of the show, it never wavered.

VOY is best if, you like Jeri Ryan? Other than that, I don't think it wins any caption awards.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolf 359 was the two parter "Best of Both Worlds."

All Good Things was pretty good.

I didn't like much of the first season. But "The Naked Now" makes me giggle. That's the one where they had some virus that made them all act like they were hammered. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

In what episode did Sisko and Picard meet and talk about Sisko's wife?

I've only ever seen flashback sequences of that, but I never saw it happen.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
In order to work, Enterprise should have made the characters and the ships workings more haphazard. More confused. More ductape, if you know what I mean. After all, this is the first ever ship of its kind carrying a bunch of humans into deep space. Can you imagine the mayhem? And yet everyone takes it so calmly and characterlessly.

I realise that they're all supposed to be the creme de la creme, but if the characters start getting bored, we're going to, too.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

The Emissary Part I & II. I think. Not that I know off the top of my head, or anything.
Teshi
Member # 5024

One of my favourite TNG episodes is "the Measure of a Man" where they have to prove Data's enough of a real man to have a say in anything.

I also love "I, Borg". [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Another problem with ENterprise is the fact that the characters fell quickly into bland stagnacy. By the end of the first episode, their characters are already starting to blur- doing things that suit the environment, rather than displaying the character they were initially given.

By the end of the second episode, most of these character traits, except their most major ones, are faded. They reappear, sporadically, but not with enough regularity to keep the plots interesting.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I, Borg is the first episode with Hugh right?
mackillian
Member # 586

Yup.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I liked that. But after the follow up episode, they never touched on it again.

I would have thought it would have been covered in VOY.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend ask me this question once. Can anyone figure the answer?

In The Next Generation, they are always getting all kinds of food and drinks out of those replicators. Where do all the dishes go? Does Picard have, like, a gazillion teacups and saucers stashed away in a cargo bay?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Trek isn't dead, it just needs new caretakers, and ideas. There is no shortage of either one, but no one in Hollywood is looking.

Do all Trek shows have to take place mainly in space? Why not on a new colony? Of course, that is a standard of sci-fi, but Star Trek could do something different with it.

I think a good idea for a movie would be something about the origin of The Borg, but then again, I think the Borg are cool and deserve a story.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tante -

The replicators create the food by assembling synthesized protein and molecule chains, and then I'm assuming they add flavoring of some sort.

The dishes are also assembled from molecules individually, much in the same way that transporters move people from place to place, only the power that makes replicators work comes from Omicron particles. The dishes are meant to be put back in the replicators to be reabsorbed into the system.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe I've ever noticed anyone putting the dirty dishes back in to un-replicate.

In the future, do they use the bathroom?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes. There's a head just off the bridge. [Smile]

(I might have read that in a tech manual).

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Several times in DS9 I saw them put the dishes back, and a couple times in VOY I remember seeing it.

As for a Borg movie, I think First Contact was enough for awhile. I wouldn't want to see the ST movie franchise oversaturated with Borg.

Then again, it might have been better than Nemesis.

The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Lyrhawn, I don't mean a movie with principal Star Trek characters and the Borg. I think their origins need to be "explored." It could be a great sci-fi epic involving only The Borg and whoever created them.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
I didn't like much of the first season. But "The Naked Now" makes me giggle. That's the one where they had some virus that made them all act like they were hammered. [Smile]

Heh, and we learn that Data is fully functional. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

oh I see what you mean. Yes that would be quite interesting.

I think what we would find is a society of cyborgs taking things to the extreme, and then they start to conquer their neighbors.

I'd love to see that story told.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who didn't like the TNG episodes that featured Q?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Nope.
kojabu
Member # 8042

Q bothers me in some episodes, but doesn't bother me in others. I dunno why. I don't really like the pilot for TNG because of Q.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see a series (though most likely, a book series) based on a Ferengi captain privateer/pirate and his crew of aliens--the Romulan con man, the telepathic accountant, among other things. Kind of like Captain Jack meets Spock.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I always figured it would be kind of funny if when Picard said "Fire at will", Will Riker would slap him and say "Now cut that out!"
mackillian
Member # 586

Some of the Q dialogue was priceless. The episode where Q was turned into a human and the crew wouldn't believe him?

Q:...What must I do to convince you people?

Worf: Die.

Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:
quote:
I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Your kidding, right?
Nope.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
I don't believe I've ever noticed anyone putting the dirty dishes back in to un-replicate.

We've been watching Voyager through Netflix recently and I'm pretty sure it was Janeway, but I'm not positive, but a character ordered a coffee I think (which is why I think it was Janeway) and something came up and she put it back into the replicator and said "Computer, recycle."
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the [VOY] series finale was probably the worst in Star Trek lore.
I'm sorry. I couldn't let this pass. Are you kidding me? Compared to Enterprise's incredibly lame, anticlimactic, meaningless, faux-manipulative series finale?

I have problems with the VOY finale (though over all, I loved the series and the characters, particularly the Doctor and Seven). Mainly that Janeway would change the timeline to same Seven and Tuvok and Chakotay (in the future) but not go back in time a few months before to save the other crew members (like Lt. Kerry, who had been on the series since season 1 and had vied with B'Lanna for the position of chief engineer and the was brought back and then killed in on one of the lamest episodes of VOY history.) That and the fact that it was basically a repeat of an earlier episode where Kim makes it home with Paris (I think) but goes back in time when he is much older to save the rest of the crew.

But come on, Enterprise, while actually doing good episodes during the last couple seasons, really crapped all over that with a final episode whose only purpose, it seemed, was to firmly place it in the ST canon (and attempted- and failed- to be emotional and meaningless with the death of Trip).

And I own the first 2 seasons of ST:TNG, as well as season 6. And let me say that all but a handfull of the first 2 seasons are even watchable. Seriously. Particularly bad is the 'drug'/'drug pushers' PSA episode with Dr. Crusher's histerics over the unfairness. And 6 is pretty good, but again with 4 or 5 super-lame episodes that I seriously never watch.

That's not to say that I didn't love TNG. But even when it was on, there were episodes that were very disappointing- especially the ones where they spent 40 minutes setting up the problem and 5 minutes resolving it (like the 'Devolution' episode.)

All ST has a lot of crap. I just got TOS (1-3). Wow. 20% diamond in a pile of 60% crap and 20% frivolous.

But Enterprise finale is the worst.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't seen the Enterprise finale, but I can believe that it was worse than Voyager's. After all, I watched most of Voyager, but I never watched more than a couple episodes of Enterprise. I couldn't take any more than that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I've heard that Enterprise is the worst of them all. I haven't seen any episodes due to lack of TV, etc, but I might try Netflixing a few just to see what the hype (or lackthereof) is all about.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The last bit of enterprise except that involving the season finale was actually very good, they brought a completely new writer on board who moved them to 3 episode story arcs. Those were excellent. Except for a few character and nostalgia moments, the previous episodes were forgettable.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I watched the first five episodes of Enterprise and then stopped, it didn't hold my interest.

But I still can't imagine anything being worse than the weak and silly VOY episode that I'm convinved was written by an eight year old.

The Reader
Member # 3636

The last episode of Enterprise was disappointing.

[SPOILERS]
Having everyone as a hologram just sucked all the life out them. I was impressed with the few episodes before the final one though.

kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
But I still can't imagine anything being worse than the weak and silly VOY episode that I'm convinved was written by an eight year old.

Which one are you refering to?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The finale.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Voyager episode: the two-parter "Year of Hell" with that dad from That 70s Show.

Best star trek season: the final one of DSN.

Star Trek with high ratio of bad-to mediocre-to good episodes: I've never seen the original, so I'll have to go with Voyager.

Worst Star Trek idea: Enterprise.

Had they been a bit more creative they would've found a way to work the story of the first enterprise ship into one of the other shows, but as an idea for an entire self-sustaining program its completely lacking, if only because Star Trek is about the future. Even if it is still within the span of the "future", regressing into it seems a bit un-Star Trek, and the more it went on the more it would've made the universe of Star Trek more confusing.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah of Hell was a freaking awesome two parter. I loved it.

The only episodes I liked as much or more, were the episodes that focused on the doctor.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.