FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, do people just like stealing Heinlein's titles for movies that are completely unrelated? I mean Starship Troopers? The Day After Tomorrow? Are those movies at all related to the books of the same name?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, leave poor Heinlein alone. It's not his fault he had no competition. Except Asimov, I guess, whose books actually stand up a lot better to the test of time. Asimov could probably still get published; Turtledove does, after all, and his dialogue is even worse, and he can't plot, either. Heinlein, eh, maybe if you edited him with a chainsaw. I like the juveniles, though.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers, the movie, was a very deliberate satire - and in that regard, brilliant.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Its really about time isn't it? I mean ST takes me two hours to read, I can afford to spend a minute and a half on an interesting digression, but if you need a month to get through the book, the day spent mouthing all those words you do not need for the story probably gets tedious.

The movie was in no way related to the book and while interesting in effects was a mistake and crime to the spirit of Robert H. The book was about the fighting spirit of soldiers and how that is the spirit that will take us out into the galaxy to face whatever we might find. All the rest was window dressing, in a sense what you see as digressions are the whole point of the book.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
BannaOJ, I think you'd have to be quite drunk or else tricked to see the Wing Commander movie. *shudder*
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought another copy, not having recieved the loaner back.

I agree BC, Starship Troopers to me is about the forging of an ideal officer, one who is concientious and effective at his duty. It is about the conections in life that make us what we are, and ultimately define why we will fight.

I would dearly like to see a well made Starship Troopers made; one where they were faithful to the book. Not only to the technologies described within, but also to the culture he depicts within the military life.

Edited for a fat finger fix

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I think a well-made, true to the spirit of the book movie Starship Troopers would be about as out of place in time as Patton. It would also probably have to be about as exceptional a film to succeed, I think.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is ST a bad adaptation, it's an all-around bad movie.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie Day After Tomorrow bears no relationship to the Heinlein novel (which is better known as Sixth Column).
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Starship Troopers, the movie, was a very deliberate satire - and in that regard, brilliant.
If it was a deliberate satire, it mostly failed, because most people can't tell what it was satirizing.

I personally think that they threw in those propaganda clips so that people would go "Oh, I guess it's a satire, and doesn't really suck like it seems." It's not a real satire, it just pretends to be one.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alright, do people just like stealing Heinlein's titles for movies that are completely unrelated? I mean Starship Troopers? The Day After Tomorrow? Are those movies at all related to the books of the same name?
His Girl Friday? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Not only is ST a bad adaptation, it's an all-around bad movie.
quote:
I personally think that they threw in those propaganda clips so that people would go "Oh, I guess it's a satire, and doesn't really suck like it seems." It's not a real satire, it just pretends to be one.
Part of the satire is how bad the movie is. The people who wrote the screenplay obviously wholeheartedly disagree with Heinlein's utopian ideals (and come on, there are a LOT of people who disagree fervently with the attitudes portrayed in ST the book). The movie was pretty obviously geared at pissing off each and every person who agreed with the book. The fact that it made so much money (and spawned a sequel!) is like extra salt in the wound.

[Edit] I mean, come on, they cast Doogie Howser and gave him psychic powers. "...It's afraid!" <marines cheering>

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Part of the satire is how bad the movie is.
Uh huh. They meant to have the movie suck? In that case, it was brilliant. [Roll Eyes]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

It sure was. It got you riled up, didn't it?

Every time I see people whine about how bad and untrue to the novel the movie was, I just laugh and laugh and buy another copy of the DVD.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
BC and Calaban, I disagree with both of you about the true meaning behind Starship Troopers. though I can't correct you at the present time because I only read it once, about 6 of 7 years ago. So I don't trust myself to represent the book acurately right now.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Every time I see people whine about how bad and untrue to the novel the movie was, I just laugh and laugh and buy another copy of the DVD.
The movie was horrible.

The movie stank.

The movie was *whine*.

How long do I have to keep this up until you are bankrupt?

erosomniac
Member # 6834

Given that the DVDs are about $7.99 new and half that used...I'm going to guess it'll take you a long, long time.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
you know what's funny also. i had never read the book before the movie came out. Didn't know it was a book. and refused to see the movie because I thought it was an Ender's Game ripoff.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can write a script to do it as much as I need...
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Starship Troopers on dvd. It amuses me. Greatly.

And I paid way more than $7.99 because I got the "SUPER SPECIAL CRAZY DIRECTORS CUT EXTRAS AND RANDOM POINTLESS CRAP" edition.

Even though I really don't care about any of the extra stuff they threw on there. It was kind of an impulse purchase.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

Strider, I'm intersted to know what your feelings on the message of the book were.

When I read it I dont try to infer anything into what he's written so I take it at face value.

I see Rico and his life as a soldier. I see his relationships and his path from a boy to a man. I see an author that has written an entire novel from a tough viewpoint.

Perhaps the entire novel is vieled satire. Typically satire is specific to events of the time, and given tha the book was written in the late 50's the only war in that time was Korea. If it was a novel to discredit that action or discourage military service it fails spectacularly.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Perhaps the entire novel is vieled satire. Typically satire is specific to events of the time, and given tha the book was written in the late 50's the only war in that time was Korea. If it was a novel to discredit that action or discourage military service it fails spectacularly.
I don't think Heinlein was being satirical at all.

The filmmakers, on the other hand, most definitely were.

calaban
Member # 2516

I agree on both accounts.

However I found the satire in the movie condescending and overpowering at the same time.

I did not like it.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

I think the movie was about as condescending as the book was, if in a different way.

I mean, MOST of Heinlein's writing is extremely condescending - he generally writes as though he knows everything and the viewpoints he express should be obvious to everyone.

Which could explain why I love him so, so very much.

calaban
Member # 2516

I disagree, I still feel that Hienlien was not pushing an agenda when he wrote the book.

He was creating a universe through which his characters could move. He depicted the aftermath of a world not unlike that depicted in The Postman, where order had been restored after disorder.

In doing so he came up with a plausible working government wherin the protagonist might have a suitable reason for giving up "the easy life" to join the military. The tapestry of events within the book were probably not created for the purpose of inferring this or that or infuriating this group or that. They just were because thats the world Johnny Rico lived in.

I think Friday, Number of the Beast, and, goin out on a limb here, even Stranger, were not written with any agenda other than the exploration and journey of the character.

Edit for flow, and double negative [Blushing] .

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think that Hienlien was pushing an agend in almost every book he wrote, including ST.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I disagree, I still feel that Hienlien was not pushing an agenda when he wrote the book.

He was creating a universe through which his characters could move. He depicted the aftermath of a world not unlike that depicted in The Postman, where order had been restored after disorder.

In doing so he came up with a plausible working government wherin the protagonist might have a suitable reason for giving up "the easy life" to join the military. The tapestry of events within the book were probably not created for the purpose of inferring this or that or infuriating this group or that. They just were because thats the world Johnny Rico lived in.

I think Friday, Number of the Beast, and, goin out on a limb here, even Stranger, were not written with any agenda other than the exploration and journey of the character.

That's pretty forgiving of you - especially considering the numerous tangents in ST that I can't interpret as anything BUT agenda pushing. The puppy training story, for instance, and the entire segment on administrative punishment.

And yes, claiming Stranger wasn't pushing agenda is going pretty far out onto a limb - hang on tight, buddy!

[Big Grin]

calaban
Member # 2516

I can fly so hangin' on a limb doesnt matter that much. [Razz]

When I read fiction I don't always infer things about the authors viewpoints from the writing. I read it as if I'm there. I don't let the fact that I disagree with the philosophy of the government depicted in ST prevent me from understanding why, within the context of the story, it may have actually existed.

I also don't infer that the author is trying to get me to belive that concept A is better than concept B. I look at it as simply this is what life is for this character. They're his or her dilemmas becasue thier world is different from mine

I think when writing RAH said, What if? and went from there. And yes when he went from there it tended to to have many tangents.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, it kind of sounds like you're projecting your method of reading onto Hienlien's method of writing.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 8926

- posted      Profile for SolarStone   Email SolarStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about halfway through Starship Troopers and am so far unimpressed...like reading a John Ringo novel or something, anything, by Peter F. Hamilton...bummed and numb.

Oh, sorry, I'm new here. Hi.

Anyway. I got ST b/c John Steakley said it inspired him to write Armor. Armor blows ST away completely in every respect so far. I highly recommend Armor. Also, I am still trying to figure out why ST was a "controversial novel".

As far as pushing an agenda I think Heinlein escapes that by writing the book in 1st Person POV. The intrusive narrative IS the story.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Also, I am still trying to figure out why ST was a "controversial novel".

On its face, it's pro-fascism.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't know if I agree with how you are using the phrase, Tom. I would say it's controversial because it argues against universal suffrage, but I don't know if the style of government it favors can really be called authoritarian--which is something I associate with fascism. (Unless it's authoritarianism by such a large group of people as to make the term meaningless.) The society in ST is still basically democratic.

My biggest issue with it is that Heinlein seems to only recognize the military as a means for showing the capacity to place the good of the many above the good of the individual. Leaving aside for the moment the fact that people join the military for a lot of other reasons, like it's their only job opportunity, I would say that he should have seen other ways of attaining full citizenship, like Peace Corp type service.

[ December 11, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't know if the style of government it favors can really be called authoritarian

I dunno. It's a pretty authoritarian government from the perspective of those not in authority.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Except they have the means of becoming those in authority.

I don't know that the defining feature of authoritarianism is that not everyone gets to vote. I think the means that the state uses to keep control factor into it as well.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

IIRC, if you disobeyed the state in Heinlein's novel, all kinds of horrible things happened to you.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Hmm . . . maybe it's been too long since I read it. I don't really recall that, but you could be right.

(Seems like a silly thing for him to have added though, since it doesn't seem integral to his point.)

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Leaving aside for the moment the fact that people join the military for a lot of other reasons, like it's their only job opportunity, I would say that he should have seen other ways of attaining full citizenship, like Peace Corp type service.
If I'm remembering correctly, that was an option in ST.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
I think Auel has one more forthcoming.

As for Stranger, it was the fourth Heinlein book I read, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Of course, I read the abridged version, so maybe that made some difference with regard to the editing comment.

If anyone ever wanted to know why we need editors, the unabridged versions of Stranger in a Strange Land and Stephen King's The Stand are beautiful examples. Better than both of them, though, is the original ending to Podkayne of Mars. <shudder> Had I read that original ending as a child, I don't think I ever would have read another book by Heinlein.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Icarus,

quote:
My biggest issue with it is that Heinlein seems to only recognize the military as a means for showing the capacity to place the good of the many above the good of the individual.
On the contrary, in the book there are other ways. Many-most, in fact-of the people who earned their franchises did not do so by military labor.

----

Tom,

quote:
IIRC, if you disobeyed the state in Heinlein's novel, all kinds of horrible things happened to you.
You recall incorrectly. There was mentioned flogging in public for the crime of drunk driving, hanging for murder, and speaking against the government was claimed to be potentially treason by one individual who didn't go further into punishments.

Beyond that all I can think of was that it was supposed to be bad news to attack soldiers.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I stand corrected.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to read the anti-Starship Troopers, try Joe Haldeman's The Forever War.

[ December 11, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: starLisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein was very good at giving his readers what they wanted.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
If you want to read the anti-Starship Troopers, try Joe Haldeman's The Forever War.
I read Forever War first, and liked it, and then read ST because I was told that if I liked FW, I'd probably like ST. I liked ST much more.
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the movie, and the only thing that I can think of is, How would Stanley Kubrick have handled making this movie? You drop all of the political commentary, and it's still a great military novel even with what's left.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that Kubrick would have dropped the political commentary, but still - Full Metal Jacket + Starship Troopers? Mmmmm...
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I can't see Kubrick having wanted to do ST.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlien was in the real war against fascism, I think that anyone who mistakes the system in Starship Troopers, with the military an entity at the service of the democratic government as fascist is a poopy doo doo head.

(using words they will understand)

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Heinlien was in the real war against fascism, I think that anyone who mistakes the system in Starship Troopers, with the military an entity at the service of the democratic government as fascist is a poopy doo doo head.

Well, again, it depends on one's definition of "fascism." The government described in Heinlein's novel is a totalitarian state controlled by the military and led by individual heroes (both military and business leaders, their "celebrity" justified by their success and service), and has focused its people on defeating external enemies (ideally real, but we can presume that imagined ones would eventually have to be necessary to sustain their sense of purpose).

It actually appears to quite closely resemble an idealized form of fascism.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SolarStone:

Anyway. I got ST b/c John Steakley said it inspired him to write Armor. Armor blows ST away completely in every respect so far. I highly recommend Armor. Also, I am still trying to figure out why ST was a "controversial novel".

Hooray, someone else who has read Armor. I've been recommending that book here for a couple years and don't think anyone's mentioned reading it yet. Power of suggestion in numbers (hey, it worked for Harry Potter)!
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually the government isn't controlled by the military - it's made up of e-military, and if I remember properly, current military wasn't allowed. The government was in place before the bugger war, so it wasn't actually focused on defeating an external enemy until the war started. I'll have to read it again this week to refresh a few things, it's been a few years since I last read it.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.